Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE GOLD RUSH (1925)

As I have never before seen THE GOLD RUSH (1925), I am wholeheartedly looking forward to viewing this Chaplin silent classic tonight (Mar. 21) on TCM. After reading all the reviews both modern and old on rottentomatoes.com I am getting pumped to watching. Gets a 100% rating which does not happen very often.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CEsQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rottentomatoes.com%2Fm%2Fthe-gold-rush%2F&ei=MZEsU4fSD6GqyAGr6YCIAg&usg=AFQjCNHGrEf8iI-CLsrCOUiZ7iIxx8pJFQ&bvm=bv.62922401,d.aWc&cad=rja

Are you sure it will be the 1925 version? Most assume it will be the 40s re-release.

There is another thread about this. Do you have updated info that leads you to believe it will be the 25 version?

PS: While the TCM schedule says the 1925 version, it has said that before and TCM showed the 40s version (users here were up in arms the last time this happened).

We can only hope that TCM gets it right this time!

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Mar 21, 2014 3:39 PM

I did not know there was a 1940's re-release so you are most probably right. I just took what I saw on the TCM schedule as what was being shown tonight. Either the 20's or 40's release I have not seen either before. I was not trying to be smart and stir up something as I have no knowledge. I have no updated leads on anything just an interest in seeing something classic that I have not watched before.

Well most of us here HOPE TCM has obtained the rights to the original 25 version. But like I said TCM fooled us before. Only after the show is over will we know if we were fooled again.

PS: The 40s version has sound (music), and Chaplin cut out scenes. While one could say this is a director's cut (i.e. Chaplin made all the changes), most feel it isn't half as good as the original.

(but I can't judge since I have only seen the 40s re-release).

Rover, Jazz,

Yes, TCM did indeed air the very recent Criterion Restoration of the original 1925 Silent version for the first time ever last night and in Prime-time. Hope everyone was watching. This was an unexpected development, and thus certainly merited far greater fan fair. TCM really needs to clarify much better what they are showing, because the same thing happened last year with Fairbanks *THE THIEF OF BAGDAD* and *WINGS.* We had no idea they were debuting the new restoration. Especially with *THE THIEF OF BAGDAD* which had just aired in a much older version on Silent Sunday Nights the month before hand. So that was completely out of the blue. In any event, I can't thank TCM programmer Chuck Tabesh enough for plugging away for so long to get the original version of *THE GOLD RUSH* and finally succeeding! So pleased that the Chaplin Heir's came to their senses and let this version breath again.

Here's hoping for the same result with *PETER PAN (1924)* and we can at last get a TCM premiere of that as well? A film just tailor made for TCM and it's never been shown.

I watched the film last night and it was great. Thanks to TCM!

Yea, TCM could do a better job promoting special films like this one.

I don't get the monthly TCM guide. Did it have an article promoting the film? I assume NO, since no one mentioned it here.

Anyhow, viewers got to see something special last night.

The Criterion Collection 1925 Restoration was excellent and certainly was a great movie. I am delighted they aired this and even more delighted that I watched it. Now I can say that I have seen THE GOLD RUSH. Terrific film. Terrific Chaplin masterpiece. Thanks TCM.

rover,

You really should check out Harold Lloyd's great classic *GIRL SHY* (1924) tonight on TCM. You may very well like it better then *THE GOLD RUSH* from a pure entertainment perspective. Heck from a romantic comedy perspective. GIRL SHY is very difficult to beat! One of the finest Romantic comedies ever produced, and an extremely funny film. The movie is currently out of print on DVD in the U. S. Thus here is a chance to see it without having to find an expensive out of print DVD release. So set you DVR.

Love him or hate him you can't say the guy was just famous because he caught on early in movie history. His stuff plays well even today though it can be a bit sappy at times. I watched Modern Times with my son years ago. He was in his early teens at the time and we both busted out laughing quite a few times. My personal favorites are The Great Dictator ( though the phony German speech sequence runs too long) and Missour Verdoux which is weird as hell but entertaining. In Verdoux reading the credits is revealing: story by Charles Chaplin, produced by Charles Chaplin. On & on. Talented for sure.

gagman, I love *Girl Shy* watched it Sunday night. One of my favorite silents. Love Harold Llloyd. Did you notice how similiar the scene of Ben taking Elaine out of the church in *The Graduate* must have been inspired and probably a tribute to *Girl Shy* when Lloyd does the same thing.

*The Freshman* and *Girl Shy* have to be among the greatest silents ever made imo. I was thinking of starting a thread abot *Girl Shy* . But since you've mentioned the great film here but not many follow-up posts thought there wouldn't be that much interest. So glad you mentioned the film :)

and love *Girl Shy* as much as I do :)