Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Boycotting Woody Allen Films??

The people who keep yelling about boycotting Woody Allen films have probably never paid to SEE a Woody Allen film. Personally, I'm more likely to boycott Mia Farrow films because I don't believe a word of it.

Well, Tiki, there seemed to be a fair amount of crude, crass language in THE MIGHTY APHRODITE, , but given the nature of the title character's occupation, it would have been hard to avoid.

But yeah, great point made about Allen's films.  In spite of the absurdity of some of the occurances( people walking off movie screens; being suddenly transported back to 1920's Paris), his films are largely story and character driven, and require the viewer to sit and listen.  Something missing from a lot of movies being made today.  Even if I didn't like any Woody Allen movie, I'd have to give him kudos for that.

Sepiatone

Just wanted to add that as perverse as Woody Allen may be in his personal life, his films are certainly restrained. Even when the actual subject of the film is sex, as in A MIDSUMMER NIGHT SEX COMEDY ('82) and VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA('08) there is no nudity or crass off color language.

Woody Allen films don't include much to offend my mother, nor embarrass me in front of a teen. It just goes to show a good movie can be made without:

•super special effects

•sex

•bad language

•tired rock & roll hits 

Rather than judge the guy on his personal mores, I'd rather judge his work. Who knows what went on in that household? Although it strikes me as kind of weird, he did nothing illegal, it's really none of my business.

I don't see how one can say 'he did nothing illegal'.    Instead the authorties determined there wasn't enough evidence to determine if he did something anything illegal or not (as related to the child molesation charges).

But I do agree that one should separate one's private life from one's work.   This rule should be applied to all artist (instead of on a selective basis).

I don't see how one can say 'he did nothing illegal'.    Instead the authorties determined there wasn't enough evidence to determine if he did something anything illegal or not (as related to the child molesation charges).

But I do agree that one should separate one's private life from one's work.   This rule should be applied to all artist (instead of on a selective basis).

Woody is definitely not a rocker Jazz and standards, many of which he has himself played in hiis clarinet gigs, have always been used in his films.

There is ZERO proof Allen did anything. There is ZERO evidence in any of his past life of anything pedophilic. All you have are the hysterical rantings of Farrow and her spawn. Case closed.

This shouldn't even be a topic thread.

There is ZERO proof Allen did anything. There is ZERO evidence in any of his past life of anything pedophilic. All you have are the hysterical rantings of Farrow and her spawn. Case closed.

This shouldn't even be a topic thread.

This tread was started related to an article about boycotts generally.   Woody Allen was mentioned in this article since he was the current ‘hot topic’ related to someone in the industry that was getting boycotted (fairly or unfairly).      

What I learned from this thread is that people at this forum boycott more often than I assumed and for reasons I found strange. 

e.g.  Emma Thompson because she said something negative related to Hepburn’s performance in My Fair Lady or Merle Streep because she dished classic movie stars.

These reasons are much different (petty?) than a boycott for actual crimes (proved or unproven) or other activity.  E.g. a boycott of Robert Wagner because one feels he killed Natalie Wood or Jane Fonda because of what she did in Vietnam.

As for Allen;   have the police and DA actually closed the case?    Either way, the fact there was a case makes this a topic.    Oh and testimony from alleged victims is considered evidence.  (And in the Allen case the only evidence which is why charges weren't filed).

So where's the BOYCOTTING ROSCOE ARBUCKLE FILMS thread? It would make as much sense as this one does.....

You have a valid point that this thread should of been called something like 'boycotting an artist  - something you do or not'.

Again Allen was mentioned in the article (link can be found in the first post),   because of the media attention he received in the past few months.

So do you support boycotting an artist or not?   (either for political reasons,  their off screen character,  comments they have made,  twitter feeds,  etc...).

I don't.   

This tread was started related to an article about boycotts generally.   Woody Allen was mentioned in this article since he was the current ‘hot topic’ related to someone in the industry that was getting boycotted (fairly or unfairly).      

Actually james, this particular thread was started related to an article about a proposed Woody Allen boycott specifically. The OP did throw the question of boycotting artists who are reputed to do wrong or commit a crime or behave badly, but it was the Woody Allen accusations being in the news recently that (I believe) prompted the original poster to start the thread. 

Yes, I know, I agree, he did end his original post with a more open question about boycotting actors, directors, etc. in general. But he also titled this thread "Boycottting Woody Allen films?"  (Twas I who bolded W.A.'s name.)

I believe there was another, earlier thread, that addressed the idea of whether or not to boycott the work of famous people who do wrong, or who are perceived to do something wrong. You  may have been thinking of that one when you wrote your post.

By the way, where is RMeingast, anyway? I'm wondering if he didn't make it through the board apocalypse. He's Canadian, and getting back on here was an even more messed-up experience for them as for Americans. Come back, Randy !

You have a valid point that this thread should of been called something like 'boycotting an artist  - something you do or not'.

Again Allen was mentioned in the article (link can be found in the first post),   because of the media attention he received in the past few months.

So do you support boycotting an artist or not?   (either for political reasons,  their off screen character,  comments they have made,  twitter feeds,  etc...).

I don't.   

I think BOYCOTT is too big a word. If I don't like an artist for whatever reason, I simply avoid the work. To label that as a BOYCOTT implies all kinds of political baggage. You don't like him/her? Fine. Don;t go to the movies; don't rent the DVDs or BLUs. Enough said.

BOYCOTT implies some kind of organized act. As I said before, all those crying for a BOYCOTT probably never watch Woody Allen films any way. That sort of makes the idea of BOYCOTT rather redundant.

I dont believe in an organized boycotting of an artist either. Although I must admit I cannot stand Mel Gibson and ever since his anti-semitic rant I have not seen ( or rewatched any film) that he's associated with. That's the extent of my personal boycotting of an artst. I'm glad that many feel that way because his career seems to have pettered out.

db- have no problem with you enjoying his films or a film of his. That's why I'm against an organized boycott of an artist. I have no respect for Mel Gibson and whether right or wrong can't seperate his warped views and his work, so that's my personal boycott and to be honest I don't feel I'm missing anything except aggreviation seeing him on the screen, big or small.

While reading this thread I kept thinking of the movie Captain Boycott (1947) with Stewart Granger. The Irish tenant farmers refuse to tend the fields of a cruel landlord (Captain Boycott) or work in his house because he  threw a family out of their lodging during the hardships of the potato famine and gave it to someone else. 

I think BOYCOTT is too big a word. If I don't like an artist for whatever reason, I simply avoid the work. To label that as a BOYCOTT implies all kinds of political baggage. You don't like him/her? Fine. Don;t go to the movies

I think that's how most of us feel-we just avoid their work. Their presence just ruins the movie for us. In the long run, time will heal the wounds of the offense, especially when/if social mores change. I'm sure there were those who couldn't watch Joan Crawford or Ingrid Bergman 20-30 years ago. Now their "crimes" are anecdotal, most think nothing of it.

I absolutely refuse to spend a penny on anything from the Disney monopoly (post Walt years) I also never set foot in a Wal*Mart. Or buy into the cable/high speed internet hype. That's just how I choose where to spend my dollars based on their business practices, I just can't be a part of them. They are so huge it makes not a whit of difference until others jump on the bandwagon.

I think the word "boycotting" was used in this case as a strong word for merely refusing to watch somebody's movies because you dislike or disagree with something they did in their personal life.  And there's nothing wrong with that.  But insisting that EVERYBODY ELSE should do likewise is a step in the wrong direction.  I don't care if Fatty Arbuckle was innocent or guilty of anything that happened at that party.  I don't watch his movies because I never thought he was funny.  But even if I did, none of that other stuff would've mattered to me.  Especially since it all happened after his best stuff was made. 

I still like Walter Brennan even though he was a racist.

I still like Samuel L. Jackson even though he is somewhat of a racist.

If any of that swill was important to me, then the only way I could safely watch any movies would be for me to make my own movies.  Starring ME.  Written and produced by ME.  Directed by ME.

So far, BUSTER KEATON was the only guy I know of that was able to pull that off!

Sepiatone

BOYCOTT implies some kind of organized act.

As if Americans can get organized to boycott anything anyway. Hilarious.

Woody Allen has nothing to worry about.

Boycotts can have some impact.  e.g. The Dickey Chicks boycott cleary impacted their bottom line.   Of course in this case the impact was felt because the Chicks' fan base (country music fans generally) were often GWB supporters. 

Sometimes boycotts can also backfire in that they bring attention to an artist and those people that feel the boycott is unfair will support that artist (when maybe they would of been indifferent if there wasn't a boycott).

With changes to campaign finance laws (where the aggregate isn’t capped),  we can expect even more political boycotts of companies and their owners as well as highly paid entertainers that are openly political.     

I think the word "boycotting" was used in this case as a strong word for merely refusing to watch somebody's movies because you dislike or disagree with something they did in their personal life.  And there's nothing wrong with that.  But insisting that EVERYBODY ELSE should do likewise is a step in the wrong direction.  I don't care if Fatty Arbuckle was innocent or guilty of anything that happened at that party.  I don't watch his movies because I never thought he was funny.  But even if I did, none of that other stuff would've mattered to me.  Especially since it all happened after his best stuff was made. 

I still like Walter Brennan even though he was a racist.

I still like Samuel L. Jackson even though he is somewhat of a racist.

If any of that swill was important to me, then the only way I could safely watch any movies would be for me to make my own movies.  Starring ME.  Written and produced by ME.  Directed by ME.

So far, BUSTER KEATON was the only guy I know of that was able to pull that off!

Sepiatone

Unless you felt you had SOME BAD TRAITS, IN WHICH CASE YOU MIGHT BOYCOTT YOUR OWN FILMS.

Well, here's one on-line definition of the word:

1. boy·cott
    ˈboiˌkät/
    verb

1. 1.
      withdraw from commercial or social relations with (a country, organization, or person) as a punishment or protest.
      synonyms: spurnsnubshunavoid, abstain from, wash one's hands of, turn one's back on, rejectveto 

•  
      •  
    noun

1. 1.
      a punitive ban that forbids relations with certain groups, cooperation with a policy, or the handling of goods.
      synonyms: banvetoembargoprohibitionsanctionrestrictionMore

It's always useful, when discussing a concept like this, to be clear on what exactly we're talking about. I tend to associate the word "boycott" with political actions, one country expressing its disapproval of something another country is doing. 

Or a unified group agreeing, en masse, to discontinue supporting a corporation (usually by not purchasing their goods or services) to show their objections to the business' policies or procedures.

I never refuse to partake of someone's art (listen or buy their music, watch or buy their movie, etc.) because of some misdeed, real or perceived, in their private life. Well, very rarely. There may be exceptions, but I can't think of any off-hand.

The Hollywood Reporter reports that Fading Gigolo, which stars Woody Allen, did unexpectedly good business at the weekend box office. It had a limited release of only five theaters but its theater high average was the best of any film this weekend.

That fact that Woody Allen is featured in a hilarious lead role was clearly a big draw," said Bill Lee, CEO of Millennium Entertainment, which is distributing the movie.

Being realistic about it, the article didn't say if these theaters were all in big cities, where I believe Allen tends to do best. Nevertheless, so far, no signs of any boycott on Allen since the latest spat of renewed allegations against him have surfaced.

By the way, Fading Jigolo is not an Allen film, per se, one in which he both directed and wrote, but instead one of the rare occasions in which he plays a leading acting role in another man's product, in this case, director John Turturro.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-specialty-woody-allen-697775