Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Legend of Lylah Claire...WTH was that?

swimminginaqua

I can't believe Kim Novak and many other big names were in this stinkeroo! And, Robert Aldrich directed?! Were they embarrassed afterwards & left it off their resumes?

I only half watched it (the sound was so bad, too) but then I was laughing, especially when she fell off the trapeze net and everybody is just looking at her with a broken neck...the clowns were gathered around crying..."send in the clowns"...is this suppose to be theater of the absurd? :D

I saw a lot of weird movies in the '60s at the show, but none compare to this bizarro one.

The 1968 sets were cool, 'tho.

(I'm sure I'll have to watch it again now just 'cause it's so bad) :D

The film is certainly a cult item and definitely not for all tastes, but I've personally come to appreciate *The Legend of Lylah Clare* as a time capsule of a (thankfully) bygone era in film-making.

What I can't figure out is why the film was placed on today's schedule, when the rest of today's line-up was devoted to star of the month Mary Astor.

(I'm sure I'll have to watch it again now just 'cause it's so bad) :D

Funny how that "so bad it's good" principle can work on your subconscious. For the past five nights I've had to fight off a similar urge to watch My Dinner With Andre, though fortunately for my sanity I've so far succeeded. ;)

This is one bad and ridiculous movie- yes there is actually a good idea behind the script- a Hollywood psychological thriller- "Sunset Blvd" meets "Vertigo" but the end results are pure camp. Like whose idea was it too obviously dub Kim Novak which makes up her sounding like a demented drag queen?! Actually I kept expecting that be the big reveal Lylah was actually a GUY?!

I watched once an interview wherein a person stated that no one sets out to make a bad movie. I would object to this statement because I believe that Troma has shown that making purposely bad movies is a successful niche but I understand the interviewee's principle. I believe that this movie demonstrates well how the result is less than the original vision.

This movie has great actors and director. I am sure the original script read well and that the pitch for the movie was enthusiastic and engrossing. The sets and cinematography were more than competent.

It is sad to say that it is a wonderful example of the whole being less than the parts.

I believe that this movie's greatest failing was poor editing. I include in that the very poor dubbing which was not properly synchronized nor was properly adjusted to match tonal qualities. I am sorry to say that I do not know the technical terms to describe what I mean. I mean to say that it is obvious that it was dropped into the soundtrack. It is the audio equivalent of poor PhotoShopping.

I love Kim Novak's performance. Her range was amazing. It was a difficult role because of the multiple personalities. She was very subtle when subtlety was needed and she overacted gloriously when the scenery needed a good chewing. It is fabulous!

Ernest Borgnine seemed to love his role. He played it with great panache.

I must wonder if some person could re-edit this and have it become a wonderful movie.

> I watched once an interview wherein a person stated that no one sets out to make a bad movie.

"Making a film is like a stagecoach ride in the old west. When you start, you are hoping for a pleasant trip. By the halfway point, you just hope to survive." -- Fran?ois Truffaut, *Day for Night*