THE SHOOTIST

THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER

BIG JAKE

THE WONDERFUL COUNTRY

I SHOT JESSE JAMES

THE BARON OF ARIZONA

RUN OF THE ARROW

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw Escape from Fort Bravo today. It was a pretty good film.

I like it, too.  It was filmed in a process called Anso Color, which MGM used on some big budget films in the fifties, giving it more of a unique look.  Interestingly, ESCAPE FROM FORT BRAVO was not included last year when Eleanor Parker was Star of the Month-- but the film turns up on the Encore Westerns Channel when it is absent from TCM.

• 3 weeks later...

Airing in May 2014:

THE BIG SKY

KING OF THE WILD STALLIONS

SCARLET RIVER

THE WESTERNER

BELLE OF THE YUKON

THE SHEEPMAN

RIO BRAVO

MONTE WALSH

STARS IN MY CROWN

COUNT THREE AND PRAY

4 FOR TEXAS

FLOWING GOLD

FRIENDLY PERSUASION

GOLD IS WHERE YOU FIND IT

HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER

• 1 month later...

Airing in June 2014:

4 FOR TEXAS

MANY RIVERS TO CROSS

TRIBUTE TO A BAD MAN

GUN GLORY

THE LAST SUNSET

BEND OF THE RIVER

WINCHESTER '73

THE LONGHORN

A MAN CALLED HORSE

3 GODFATHERS (1936)

RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY

THE DEADLY COMPANIONS

THE WILD BUNCH

PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID

THE GLORY GUYS

THE HOMESTEADERS

THE MISFITS

BUS STOP

BAND OF ANGELS

BITTER CREEK

BADMAN'S TERRITORY

THE FORTY-NINERS

RAWHIDE

THE LUSTY MEN

• Like 1

Oh, goody!  Tomorrow  afternoon at 12:15, TCM is showing The Longhorn with Bill Elliott, Phyllis Coates and Myron Healy.  When I first saw this movie years ago the local paper rated it nearly four stars which I definitely agree with.  Today the Brighthouse guide only rates it 1 1/2 stars which is a foul ball.  Don't you believe it!  If you like Westerns don't miss it. 

P. S. George Montgomery and Peter Graves did a remake in the 50's so if you've seen it the story will seem familiar.  In this case imitation was not the sincerest form of flattery; don't judge the quality of the first by the second.

Oh, goody!  Tomorrow  afternoon at 12:15, TCM is showing The Longhorn with Bill Elliott, Phyllis Coates and Myron Healy.  When I first saw this movie years ago the local paper rated it nearly four stars which I definitely agree with.  Today the Brighthouse guide only rates it 1 1/2 stars which is a foul ball.  Don't you believe it!  If you like Westerns don't miss it. 

P. S. George Montgomery and Peter Graves did a remake in the 50's so if you've seen it the story will seem familiar.  In this case imitation was not the sincerest form of flattery; don't judge the quality of the first by the second.

Each Saturday this month, TCM will air a Bill Elliott western.  Thanks for the heads up about THE LONGHORN!

Regarding:  The Longhorn

Holy Smokes!  This movie came to us courtesy of poor, lowly Monogram Pictures.  How about that!  Again we see what can be done by people who give a damn about their work despite the budget.  "Never judge a book by its cover" applies to movie studios as well.  It was as good as I remembered.

The most interesting part for me was the performance of Myron Healy in what might have been his best role.  I find it sad that this perennial villain who probably racked up more screen and TV time in the 40's through the 60's than his contemporaries-Ernest Borgnine, Lee Marvin, Jack Elam and Claude Akins never found the fame they did later on in their careers.  This movie proved he was a good actor.  I also caught Lane Bradford, Marshall Reed and William Fawcett, all old hands at Westerns in the cast.

Phyllis Coates, the original Lois Lane on the Superman series, also did a number of Westerns at this time; since she was from Texas this seems a good fit. 

Thank you, TCM, for helping this movie be discovered by more folks.    

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings