Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mario Bava : WHAT THE HECK!

classiccinemafan

By what the heck is what I mean by the availability of his movies.

Questions people !

why is a good , restored copy of KILL , BABY , KILL not available separately on DVD or Blu-ray ? the film was only included in the Anchor Bay Bava boxset (it's out of print now). The Dark Sky Films DVD release was cancelled before it's release like 5 years ago. All we're stuck with is public domain junk and they're out of print too. So what the heck ?!

And another thing that's bothering me is the availability of the AIP versions of Black Sunday and Black Sabbath. I see the only ones available are the Italian cuts. Who the heck chooses what we can watch and what we can't ? A lot of people grew up watching the AIP version of Black Sabbath (me included). I found the the Les Baxter track in the DROP OF WATER to be superior over the Italian track. Some want to own both versions. I have yet to see the American release of Black Sunday. Only the trailer on youtube.

The UK gets both versions in a DVD-Bluray combo release while in the US we gets reissues of the Image DVD release from 1999/2000. So what the heck ?!! It's unfair the UK has it better.

TCM never airs Mario Bava's films. What is it ? rights ? What is it Alfred Leone Trust wants no one to show these films ? What is up ? I remebmer 9 or 10 years ago TCM showed a Italian language version of Black Sunday around October. They haven't showed it since.

Edited by: classiccinemafan on Mar 22, 2014 4:30 PM

TCM probably feels (and rightfully so) that Bava's films are only suitable to its Underground offerings. The problem with that is that Underground is so very limited in terms of hours shown. Personally, I would love to see that segment of TCM programming expanded, but there doesn't seem to be any plans to do so.

As for dvd releases, it's sales expectations that drive those. Find a forum that specializes in Bava discussion and lend your voice to the petitions you'll probably find there. Can't hurt.

I'm positive that TCM aired "Black Sunday" (The Mask of Satan) more recently than 10 years ago but it hasn't been recently (maybe 5 years?) . I did send away for a dvd years ago, I wanted it bad so I gambled and got a copy from a vendor in Argentina I believe. It wasn't overly expensive and it was of good quality and fortunately it had an English language track. I see that it is currently viewable on Dailymotion in segments or in complete form. As for the rights issue, someone owns the rights to these films. Who owns them and why they aren't easily available (maybe available for broadcast by TCM or another outlet) is anyone's guess. A lot of film makers claim these films had a big influence on their own work.

Edited by: mrroberts on Mar 22, 2014 4:57 PM

You hit the nail right on the head. Rights issues. TV rights and DVD rights are two separate things and often are controlled by different companies and because of that the DVD version may not be available to TCM.

Keep in mind too that when TCM does obtain the rights to a certain film, it's often for a limited number of showing with in a specified time period and not an open ended contract so just because they've shown something a few years ago doesn't mean they still have the rights to it.

just to note.

Bava's Hatchet for a Honeymoon (1970) is scheduled for showing (Sat programming day) as an Underground feature Sun, April 20 at 2 AM edt. i haven't seen this but user comments say it's pretty good and not schlocky.

if Bava movies are available, TCM should give him exposure in a better time period. say an evening in Oct in the run-up to Halloween. the question of availability/rights is tricky. Bava's movies are also in Italian (all?), so his fliks would qualify for 2 AM Sun Night/Mon AM foreign movies. but that segment tends to show "arty" pics and Bava is known for Horror/Scary stuff, although his style is probably the most artful of that genre.

• 4 months later...

Bava was the great horror stylist- his classic horror films like "Black Sunday" are filled with beautiful haunting images. TCM should run the outrageous "Danger: Diabolik" (1968) a very 1960's sci-fantasy about a super anti-hero.

Mario Bava even made a science fiction blob film called Caltiki the Immortal Monster...which tcm never shows of course. :P

I'm positive that TCM aired "Black Sunday" (The Mask of Satan) more recently than 10 years ago but it hasn't been recently (maybe 5 years?) . I did send away for a dvd years ago, I wanted it bad so I gambled and got a copy from a vendor in Argentina I believe. It wasn't overly expensive and it was of good quality and fortunately it had an English language track. I see that it is currently viewable on Dailymotion in segments or in complete form. As for the rights issue, someone owns the rights to these films. Who owns them and why they aren't easily available (maybe available for broadcast by TCM or another outlet) is anyone's guess. A lot of film makers claim these films had a big influence on their own work.

Edited by: mrroberts on Mar 22, 2014 4:57 PM

I think that Barbara Steele's manservant in Black Sunday looks like one of the Rojo brothers from A Fistful of Dollars.  :D