Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Don Murray Night Thursday

Arturo

Don Murray, a popular leading man of the late 50s and 60s, will have a TCM tribute this Thursday evening. Starting with his film.debut in BUS STOP, the movie considered to have established Marilyn Monroe as.a.serious actress, Murray impressed as a naive cowboy in love with MM. He won an Oscar nomination, and won ingenue Hope Lange in real life. Next is another film version of a hit stage play, A HATFUL OF RAIN (1957). Both films.were.made for Fox, who unsuccessfully tried to sign him to an exclusive contract. They reportedly bought the play for him, hoping to star him as the brother. He convinced the director to instead cast him as the addict. Heady stuff. His costarring turn wifh James Cagney is next, in a tale of the Irish conflict, SHAKE HANDS WITH THE DEVIL. The last two films has him as a man of the cloth, his production of THE HOODLUM SAINT, and ONE MANS WAY, as Norman Vincent Peale.

DEADLY HERO is rarely seen; it's the only film I know of in which Don played a villain. I hope they show it.

SHAKE HANDS WITH THE DEVIL is outstanding; IMHO it was Cagney's last great film.

THE BACHELOR PARTY is notable for the performances of Don Murray and Carolyn Jones.

Though it isn't being shown Thursday, THESE THOUSAND HILLS is a fine western with Don Murray and Lee Remick. It may show up on the Fox Movie Channel, which is not a station I get.

SHAKE HANDS WITH THE DEVIL is really good, and it isn't known all that well. Think of it as a film noir set in Ireland with the IRA as the villains.

As "Sid Fairgate" Don was also the original male lead on *Knott's Landing.* His was a quiet authority rather than the bombastic style of most TV dads and is what I'd bet most of us remember about our fathers. After seeing *One Man's Way* I read Norman Vincent Peale's book and enjoyed it very much. I'm taping the movie for later in the day.

Thanks, Arturo. I liked Don Murray and thought what he did with his performance in Bus Stop, where in scenes he had to be so over the top, were brilliant. And I love the opposite end of the spectrum - Shake Hands With Devil, which by the way also has delicious Glynis Johns and Dana Winter. Good films.

A short story - when I traveled for business, I found myself in LA, one of the rare times. I got off the elevator at my floor and a nice looking, middle aged man got on. My nature is to smile and perhaps nod my head, and this man did the exact same thing right back to me. As I walked down the hall, I said, "damn, that was Don Murray". My Don Murray story.

I am going to see if Bachelor Party is being shown, one of my all time favorites.

Been checking in here and there, some good reading, but have been dealing with a close, sudden death in family. So, maybe trying to get back.

Due to a recording snafu or my own stupidity I did not get to record *One Man's Way* yesterday morning which I was dearly wanting to see after 50 years. I've tried putting it in *YouTube* and *Hulu* and *You Tube* has it listed but I can't bring it up. Can somebody more computer literate than I am kindly assist me and find a link? I can then log it into my favorites list.It would greatly be appreciated.