Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

News: CHARLEY'S AUNT dropped again

imgres-14.jpg

This happened before. In the early stages, TCM's programmers had put the 1941 version of CHARLEY'S AUNT on the schedule. But then, somehow, it was quietly dropped.

On June 28, TCM is planning an evening spotlight of Jack Benny films. Once again, CHARLEY'S AUNT was placed on the schedule. But now, it has mysteriously disappeared.

In its place is a TCM premiere of COLLEGE HOLIDAY, a rarely screened Paramount comedy from the late 1930s which costars George Burns & Grace Allen.

I think we can safely say that someone at TCM wants CHARLEY'S AUNT to air-- just like we all do-- but the cable TV gods are not fully cooperating. Here's hoping it does eventually make its way on to TCM.

Disappointing. I've been wanting to see the Benny version for years. :(

Same here, especially the last time it had been scheduled by TCM, and I programmed to record it. Glad I found and bought the dvd a few months ago.

How is it? I wasnt aware it was available.

CHARLEY'S AUNT (1941) is available from 20th Century Fox on DVD for about $12 on Amazon via this URL:

http://www.amazon.com/Charleys-Aunt-Jack-Benny/dp/B000O78KYM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395865708&sr=8-1&keywords=Charley%27saunt1941

I have the DVD but have not yet viewed it.

I consider COLLEGE HOLIDAY (1936) to be a very pleasant surprise because it has never been available on VHS or DVD. I have a very poor quality dupe of the film, which has a very charming musical introduction.

Also, it seems like it has been a while since TCM showed a Paramount pre-1950 movie that is not available elsewhere. Hopefully, more rare Paramount and Universal films will follow.

>I consider COLLEGE HOLIDAY (1936) to be a very pleasant surprise because it has never been available on VHS or DVD.

I consider it a pleasant surprise, too. We will see if it remains on the schedule.