Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

not Lifeboat

noah80

I'm looking for the title of a film where each survivor (wearing a life jacket) in a small boat is forced out of the boat, one by one. I'm quite sure the film is black and white, probably made in the 1940's or 1950's. I thought the film was Hitchcock's "Lifeboat" but apparently not.

Dear Noah80,

The name of the film is "Seven Waves Away" by Mister Richard Sale,which unfortunately had it's title tampered with by distributors and therefore distorts the metaphorical meaning of Mister Sale,as "Abandon Ship!" and "Seven Days From Now".

God Bless,

The Vortex

• 2 weeks later...

As previously mentioned the U.S. title of the film is Abandon Ship!  It's a British made film from 1957 originally titled Seven Waves Away. Both of these films, Lifeboat and Abandon Ship, are excellent movies. Both are very suspenseful and intense but while the Hitchcock film Lifeboat is purely fictional, Abandon Ship is based on the true story of the sinking of the William Brown and the crew member Alexander Holmes who took charge of the lifeboat in question. At the end of the film there is a voice over announcement stating "The story which you have just seen is a true one. In real life, Captain Alexander Holmes was brought to trial on a charge of mmmurder. He was convicted and given the minimum sentence of six months because of the unusual circumstances surrounding the incident" Although I have never seen it, there is yet another film from 1937 called Souls at Sea which is based on this same incident.  

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings