Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Classic Film Pairings

TopBilled

Tonight, TCM is offering a double feature of *Ingrid Bergman & Cary Grant*.

imgres5.jpg

First, it's the seldom screened romantic comedy INDISCREET, then it's NOTORIOUS, directed by Alfred Hitchcock.

images-23.jpg

Bonus trivia: INDISCREET was remade as a TV-movie in 1988 with Lesley-Anne Down & Robert Wagner.

Here are a few of my favorites:

Errol Flynn & Olivia de Havilland

Laurel & Hardy

Lauren Bacall & Humphrey Bogart

Gene Kelly & Judy Garland

Myrna Loy & William Powell (I know it was already mentioned; but I full heartedly concur)

How about Cary Grant with either Katharine Hepburn or Irene Dunne? Those two parinings had great chemistry in all their movies. I like Marlene Dietrich with John Wayne and I think Jane Russell goes very well with both Marilyn Monroe and Robert Mitchum.

• Like 1

Today there are quite a few classic film pairings on TCM:

1od.jpg

1. First, it's *Olivia de Havilland & Errol Flynn* in THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON. One of nine motion pictures together.

1lb.jpg

2. Next, *Lauren Bacall & Humphrey Bogart* in TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT, the first of their four features.

1bh.jpg

3. Then, in primetime: *Betty Hutton & Eddie Bracken,* who costar in THE FLEET'S IN, the first of five films they made at Paramount.

1gk.png

4. Also in primetime: *Gene Kelly & Frank Sinatra* in ANCHORS AWEIGH. One of three films together.

1wb.png

5. And don't forget *Alan Carney & Wally Brown* in SEVEN DAYS ASHORE. This comic team appeared in a total of 16 films.

A classic duo I like involves the collaboration between David Lean and Noel Coward. Their last film together, BRIEF ENCOUNTER, aired on TCM earlier today. It's been awhile since we have seen some of their other works-- IN WHICH WE SERVE (I remember it airing during Leslie Howard's SOTM tribute a few years ago) and THIS HAPPY BREED (even longer since TCM has played it). Then there's BLITHE SPIRIT which stars Rex Harrison. Has that one ever been on TCM? I would love to see it again.

Today on TCM we have a few more classic pairings:

1mo.jpg

First, it's *Maureen O'Sullivan & Johnny Weissmuller* in TARZAN THE APE MAN, the first of seven pictures for them.

1ag.jpg

Then, we have *Ava Gardner & Clark Gable* costarring in MOGAMBO. They made three pictures together at MGM.

1ja.jpg

And there's *June Allyson & Peter Lawford* who teamed up for five pictures at MGM. The 1949 remake of LITTLE WOMEN, which airs today, was their fourth collaboration.

TopBilled: - Good selections and teamings often not thought of. However, Johnny and Maureen only did 6 Tarzan films together at MGM - "Tarzan the Ape Man", "Tarzan and his Mate", "Tarzan Escapes", "Tarzan Finds a Son", "Tarzan's Secret Treasure" and "Tarzan's New York Adventure", although I wish they'd done more as I always thought them to be just about perfect and she has always been vastly underrated as an actress.

phynx.jpg

Thanks Paulio...you are right, they made six Tarzan films together-- but they also both have cameos in 1970's THE PHYNX. So technically they did appear in seven pictures.

In the Complete SOTM and SUTS thread, I have made a case advocating that O'Sullivan be given a SUTS tribute-- though I think she could very easily be honored as Star of the Month.

You are so right and I stand corrected. I had completely forgotten about "The Phynx" but now remember seeing it and being one of only about 3 or 4 people in the audience. Thanks for reminding me and I completely agree with your comments about O' Sullivan.

Here are some.classic film pairings not.often featured on TCM:

Janet Gaynor and Charles Farrell

James Dunn and Sally Eilers

Warner Baxter and Loretta Young

Warner Baxter.and Alice Faye

Shirley Temple and Bill Robinson

Loretta Young and Tyrone Power

Loretta Young and Don Ameche

Loretta Youngand Richard Greene

Sonja Henie and Don Ameche

Sonja Henie and.Tyrone Power

Alice Faye and Don Ameche

Alice Faye and Tyrone Power

Alice Faye,.Tyrone Power and Don Ameche

Tyrone Power and Linda Darnell

Tyrone Power and Gene Tierney

Henry Fonda and Gene Tierney

Henry Fonda and Linda Darnell

Henry Fonda and Jane Darwell

Alice Faye and John Payne

Betty Grable and John Payne

Sonja Henie and John Payne

John Payne and Jack Oakie

Betty Grable and Victor Mature

Betty Grable and Carole Landis

Alice Faye and Carmen Miranda

Don Ameche and Carmen Miranda

John Payne and Maureen O'Hara

Tyrone Power and Anne Baxter

Gene Tierney and Dana Andrews

Linda Darnell and Dana Andrews

Gene Tierney and Vincent Price

Gene Tierney and Clifton Webb

Linda Darnell and George Sanders

Vivian Blaine and Carmen Miranda

Jeanne Crain and June Haver

Linda Darnell and Rex Harrison

Linda Darnell.and Cornel Wilde

Betty Grable and Dan Dailey

Victor Mature and Richard Conte

Linda Darnell and Paul Douglas

Linda Darnell and Richard Widmark

Paul Douglas and Jean Peters

Anne Baxter and Dan Dailey

Marilyn Monroe and Charles Coburn

Susan Hayward and Gregory Peck

Susan Hayward and Robert Mitchum

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings