Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Happy 90th Birthday, Doris Day!

Hibi

Way back in 1948, before Doris made a movie, I saw her at the Maryland University performance of The Bob Hope Show with Les Brown and his Orchestra. Little did I know she would become a BIG star!    One advantage to having a good memory.

I love the Life Magazine cover that noah posted.  Wonderful!

Though the message boards were offline yesterday and I was unable to post about this subject-- I truly enjoyed the 24-hour Dorisathon.  

Thanks TCM!

My only request is that I would like to see JULIE again, and MIDNIGHT LACE would not hurt, either! :)

I love the Life Magazine cover that noah posted.  Wonderful!

Though the message boards were offline yesterday and I was unable to post about this subject-- I truly enjoyed the 24-hour Dorisathon.  

Thanks TCM!

My only request is that I would like to see JULIE again, and MIDNIGHT LACE would not hurt, either! :)

I'm glad you like the cover. My favorite Doris Day film is On Moonlight Bay (1951). Just a musical--nothing too complicated although I thought Billy Gray stole some scenes!

Although Doris and Rock Hudson were considered the ultimate screen couple, I have to say I think her and Jack Carson were the better team.

I prefer her with James Garner.  She had chemistry with many male costars (the possible exception being Ray Bolger).  And in the same way, Garner had chemistry with many female costars-- including Suzanne Pleshette, Julie Andrews and Sally Field.  So you put them together, and it's a win-win.  The other thing I like about her with Garner is that they are believable as lovers and as parents.  Hudson didn't often play fatherly roles, and neither did Rod Taylor-- her other frequent costar in the sixties.  

For those who get MeTV, on Sunday, April 6th, they have a block of Doris' favorite episodes from her tv series

Yes, I mentioned that last week-- in another Doris Day thread.  These are episodes (seven of them) that she personally selected.  I noticed when I set the DVR for them, each episode is being given a 35 minute time slot.

The Doris Day Show lasted for five seasons.  She selected episodes from each season, except season 4.

I prefer her with James Garner.  She had chemistry with many male costars (the possible exception being Ray Bolger).  And in the same way, Garner had chemistry with many female costars-- including Suzanne Pleshette, Julie Andrews and Sally Field.  So you put them together, and it's a win-win.  The other thing I like about her with Garner is that they are believable as lovers and as parents.  Hudson didn't often play fatherly roles, and neither did Rod Taylor-- her other frequent costar in the sixties.  

Doris also did not have chemistry with Richard Widmark. (TUNNEL OF LOVE)