Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Babette's Feast

sfpcc2

I just got around to watching Babette's Feast, which was on TCM about two months ago. I got a question; About what time period does this film take place? My guess is between 1870 and 1915. Babette speaks of a revolution in France but I don't know when it took place, probally after Napoleon III.

The film seems to have taken place in 3 different periods, with flashbacks to earlire times. I think the film starts off in the later 19th Century, then flashes way back, then flashes a little forward. But I don'/t know for sure. :)

Wiki says:

------------------------------------------

The elderly and pious Christian sisters Martine (Birgitte Federspiel) and Philippa (Bodil Kjer) live in a small village on the remote western coast of Jutland in 19th-century Denmark. Their father was a pastor who founded his own Christian sect. With their father now dead, and the austere sect drawing no new converts, the aging sisters preside over a dwindling congregation of white-haired believers.

The story flashes back 49 years, showing the sisters in their youth.

Thirty five years later, Babette Hersant (St?phane Audran) appears at their door. She carries only a letter from Philippa's former suitor, the singer Achille Papin, explaining that she is a refugee from counter-revolutionary bloodshed in Paris, and recommending her as a housekeeper.

The French Revolution of 1830, also known as the July Revolution, Second French Revolution or Trois Glorieuses in French, saw the overthrow of King Charles X, the French Bourbon monarch, and the ascent of his cousin Louis-Philippe, Duke of ****?ans, who himself, after 18 precarious years on the throne, would in turn be overthrown.

------------------------------------------------------------

The 1848 Revolution in France, sometimes known as the February Revolution (r?volution de F?vrier), was one of a wave of revolutions in 1848 in Europe. In France the revolutionary events ended the Orleans monarchy (1830?48) and led to the creation of the French Second Republic.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings