Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
xxmass

Paul Winchell

Hi, I just heard that one of the greatest ventriloquist has died, Paul Winchell. Not only a ventriloquist, but a great inventor. I don't know about you, but I will truly miss him. Replys are of course welcome. Larry.

Larry, I for one recall the talented Paul Winchell very well. He was a delight with his dummy's Jerry Mahoney and Knucklehead Smiff, entertaing millions of kids.

He was also a skilled voice-over artist for Tigger in Disney's "Winnie the Pooh" series as well as voicing many other TV cartoon characters.

As far as his inventions are concerned, he is one of the original inventors of the artificial heart, a battery run car, among many others.

Paul Winchell was 82 years old, and may he rest in peace.

Mongo

And don't forget Farfel - the dog - who sang the great jingle "N-E-S-T-L-E-S Nestles makes the very best....chocolate!"

Hi Erzbet, was'nt that Jimmy Nelson who was the voice of Danny O Day, And Farel the dog lol?. Another great ventriloquist. By the way i wrote to Paul Winchell about 6 months ago, but he never replyed. I just read that Paul Winchell's son wrote that he learned of his fathers death from a friend of the family. He stated that his father was a very unhappy man. How very sad.All replys welcome. Larry.

Only 82. Not so old anymore.

What a shame. I grew up with Jerry Mahoney and Knucklehead Smiff, only now, after 40+ years, do I realize that Knucklehead's last name wasn't Smith!! Live and learn.

I'll remember Paul Winchell fondly, along with Captain Jack McCarthy, Officer Joe Bolton and Claude Kirschner. All memories of my childhood.

Hi Stoneyburk666, I just read your post and got a chill lol.You have got to be from New York, to remember Captain Jack McCarthy, officer Joe Bolton ect. Even though I live in Indiana now I was born in Brooklyn,NY. funny thing that I was just thinking that everyone keeps writing Knucklehead Smiff. Until today I always thought his last name was Smith also lol. Thank you for bringing back childhood memories, of old time tv shows. Sincerly, Larry.

My childhood was also in N.Y.C wor channel 9 to be exact

Jerry Mahoney, knucklehead, office Joe, but i will remember and still sing the Nestle chocolate commerical

to this day! But i will cherrish that he was the voice

of tigger my favorite tiger in all the world.....

My sympathies to family and friends who i wish nothing but the best at this time. Thanks Paul for all the voices & characters of my childhood. lolite.

It's a sad week for "Pooh" fans everywhere this week. We also lost John Fiedler (80) on Saturday. He was the voice for "Pigglet", along with having a good stage and screen career.

Hi Larry, thanks!

I grew up and am still in Westchester, just over the border from Da Bronx. I loved this area in the 1950s, now not so much. Television now, of course, is abysmal.

But Howdy Doody, and even Ding Dong School were shows I grew up with. Along with The Abbott and Costello Show, Tom Terrific, Beany and Cecil, and the Warner Brother cartoons. Violence was acceptable then, and classical music was thrown in with the cartoon character bashing. Wonderful stuff.

I was very fond of Paul Winchell, I thought he was sooo handsome. I also liked Soupy Sales and Frank Nastasi as White Fang and Black Tooth. Around about 1965, my girlfriends went to visit Soupy and Frank. I wasn't allowed (can you believe it?) and Frank wrote me a very nice personal letter. I also wasn't allowed to see the Beatles at Shea Stadium, but that's another story!:)

Oh, on Captain Jack, I was doing a paper in college on the history of the funnies (nope, definitely not deep research) and I called Captain Jack! He was sooo nice, he sent me all kinds of material on Popeye.

*sigh* I miss those guys and ladies.

Thank you, Mr. Winchell, for all the fond memories.

Hi Stoneyburke666, I just read your post, did we grow up in the same house? LOL. By the way I know i'm not spelling this name corectly but do you remember Rudy Ka Zoodie? If so you and I are the only ones that do LOL. I was at Shea Stadium when the Beatles were there. I was behind the fence not in the seats. After the show My friend and I jumped on the van that the Beatles were leaving on, and i got a quick glimps of Ringo. thank god the van was going slow. I fell off and almost broke my legs. A very stupid thing to do right? Wrong lol. Well that's about all for now. Please keep in touch ok?. Speak with you soon. sincerly Larry.

Larry, we just MAY have grown up together! I not only remember Rootie Kazootie, but look at this site:

http://www.tvacres.com/puppets_marionettes.htm

and tell me if you remember Diver Dan! Holy cow, until I Googled RK, I had forgotten all about Diver Dan!! I think the fish in Diver Dan was named Clownie.

You saw the Beatles!? How cool. I wanted to send a get well card to Ringo when he had his tonsils out, but my father wouldn't let me. I also couldn't scream (it just seemed we had to scream!) when the Beatles were first on Ed Sullivan.:)

I'm sure we're boring everyone else, but thanks for the long term memory jog. My short term memory is shot to heck.

I loved 1950s television. Interesting about RK, it went off in 1954, and we only got a teevee in 1953, so it's one year that is still in my memory. Amazing.

Hi Classicsfan1119, I just read you post and noticed that John Fiedler passed on this weekend. He was great as Pigglet, but I liked him better as Mr Peterson on the Bob Newhart Show. They say death comes in 3s. I wonder who will be next? How morbid Right? Lol Again thanks for the info. Sincerly, Larry.

Dear Stoneyburke666, Do i remember Diver Dan? That's like asking me if i remember my name LOL. And yes Clownie was the fish. Wow I feel like i've met a long lost friend LOl. Well right now i'am going to check out that site on Rootie K, I knew i spelled his name wrong. Speak with you later Larry.

Nice to hear you all reminiscing. I grew up and still live in CT, and I remember "Diver Dan" too. I also remember Captain Jack and Officer Joe on WPIX-TV in NYC. Every day after school, I would get home just in time to watch the Three Stooges.

Paul Winchell was great, sorry to hear of his passing. He did a movie called "Stop, Look, and Laugh," which contained clips of the Three Stooges. Anyone remember that?

And does anyone remember "Clutch Cargo?"

Hi, scsu1975!

No, I just Googled Clutch and wouldn't have watched action cartoons. Maybe Larry?

I was more into fantasy -- there was one feature which I thought was a cartoon that turned out to be an early music video! A verrry early music video, I caught it late one night on a PBS station and as luck would have it, didn't tape it. It looked like a cut paper silhouette feature and was set to a classical piece of music. It was lovely.

Anyone else remember these short musical pieces with stories told with shadow 'puppets'? I believe Peer Gynt was one of the musical pieces used.

Hi Scsu1975, I just read your post and wanted to thank you for your reply. Stop, Look And Laugh is one of my all time favorites. Even though it's a kid movie I still love it lol.I own two copies of it, just incase one goes bad. I remember alot of old time TV, but for some reason Clutch Cargo escapes me. Let me know more about it OK? Speak with you soon. Sincerly, Larry.

Dear Stoneyburke, Well here we go again. This is scary .years ago I was watching tv and saw Silhouette cartoons. The next day I thought it was a dream, because none of my friends, or family knew what I was talking about. Now after 40 something years you write about it in your post. As I said in one of my post to you " Are you sure we did'nt live in the same house???" Very scary. Please reply to my Twilight Zone LOL. Sincerly, Larry.

OH.MY.GOD.

Larry, you have GOT to be kidding??? I have not met one, repeat, not ONE person in over 40 years who has seen them!!

Another reason I was soooo bummed that I didn't tape the one I saw on PBS, lol, since people have never believed me.

How funny!:)

dolores

Hi Larry:

Clutch Cargo was an action cartoon (the main character was Clutch). The odd thing about this cartoon was that the mouths of the cartoon characters were replaced by real mouths saying the lines. I believe this was done with another cartoon series as well.

Rich

Dear Dolores, Not funny scary lol. I think I'll invite Rod Serling over for dinner LOL. Later, Larry P.S Back when I saw these so called cartoons there was no such thing as a VCR, but I wish there was LOL.

Hi Rich, Thanks for the reply. You may be thinkink of the Sandy Becker Show, on WNEW channel 5. I remember him doing the same as you discribed. Larry

Larry, if you Google Clutch Cargo, you'll see that Clutch was described as an 'eerie' cartoon which used the technique that Conan O'Brien does on his late night show with static faces and moving lips. The other was apparently Space Angel.

As to Sandy Backer, you're thinking of the equally eerie segment Becker had (I had forgotten about Sandy Becker and Norton Nork!) where he used a mirror and put a mask on his chin and used his own lips to speak for the 'puppet'. If I'm also remembering correctly, there was available a 'kit' at the time so a kid could do the same thing in his/her own home.

Dear Delores, and Rich As I was surfing the net, I came upon Clutch Cargo. Go to www.classictv.com Scroll down till you see TV Party, click on and scroll down and you'll see Clutch Cargo. See ya tommorow, Good night. Larry