Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well, it was somewhat of an ordeal for me to get back here "among the living" but I finally made it. Thank you to all the TCM folks who helped. Now lets see what I've been missing.

Sorry everybody, I believe this question was raised (somewhere, maybe not this thread), but goldarnit, I forget the answer.

What happened to the "Hot Topics" forum?

The main reason I'm interested is, I enjoyed the "20th Century Vole" thread. (although why it was in "hot topics", I do not know. Because it was un-categorizable, I guess.)

So if anyone has an answer, please don't just tell me where "Hot Topics" is. Tell me where "20th Century Vole" is. Did it make it through the iconoclasm?

Edith,

Unfortunately, the Hot Topics forum didn't want to to make the migration and opted to stay behind.

It has been retired.

However, as noted in one of the Announcements posted either here or over at the old boards before the migration, the threads from the old boards have not vanished into cyberspace. If you feel strongly about a thread being included, you can contact one of the Moderators and make a case for that thread being brought over.

Edith,

Unfortunately, the Hot Topics forum didn't want to to make the migration and opted to stay behind.

It has been retired.

However, as noted in one of the Announcements posted either here or over at the old boards before the migration, the threads from the old boards have not vanished into cyberspace. If you feel strongly about a thread being included, you can contact one of the Moderators and make a case for that thread being brought over.

They could had at least saved the first 2 pages of Hot Topics that were a favorite to many here.  Was it possible to post them on General Discussions?

I am sad to say that it appears that it failed to have made the transition. I attempted to open a few of the pages and all received: 404 Error - Page Not Found.

I suspect that a focus was made on movie-related threads being retained from that board. Threads which were purely for fun were allowed to disappear.

My own two cents:

I think over time the old Hot Topics Forum was used as a catch all for everything that could be placed and easily commented on without heading into the weeds of the other more specific forums. And many people did use the Hot Topics Forum as a place to get many an argument started and deleted. I think that even though there were many fun threads there, this is NOT to say that the other forums did not have their own share and continue to have "fun" threads on there own respective threads.

Once the dust has settled here, I think it is possible for some of the older Hot Topics threads to be migrated. Maybe this is not correct, but I can not see why a certain thread if popular enough on the old Hot Topics Forum would not be allowed to transition. But it might be that there was a more technical reason why the migration was not allowed. Until we get a more specific answer from the admins about this all we can do is postulate.

Once the dust has settled here, I think it is possible for some of the older Hot Topics threads to be migrated. Maybe this is not correct, but I can not see why a certain thread if popular enough on the old Hot Topics Forum would not be allowed to transition. But it might be that there was a more technical reason why the migration was not allowed. Until we get a more specific answer from the admins about this all we can do is postulate.

It has been retired.

However, as noted in one of the Announcements posted either here or over at the old boards before the migration, the threads from the old boards have not vanished into cyberspace.

If you feel strongly about a thread being included, you can contact one of the Moderators and make a case for that thread being brought over.

lz, I love this new message board! :)

It was complicated to use the first couple of days, but now it is so easy and

it has so many good features.

This is wonderful. Thank all the folks at TCM for me. And thanks for all of

your advice and help.

Old Fred :)

I always had the old board (and all other websites) zoomed to 120% for the site and 140% for the text just to be able to read it. Everything ended up jumbled and out of place. No problems at all now, and I can read the text from across the room. :D

Edith,

It has been retired.

I think that the "George Brent's Rear End" thread was not only ALLOWED to disappear, but ENCOURAGED to dsappear. I won't be the one to try to get it revived. Your move, hibi.

Thanks, fxreyman, I appreciate your efforts to help.

However, as I specified, all I'm really interested in is the "20th Century Vole" thread. Since it was, as I said, un-categorizable, I have no idea where it would have ended up.

If anyone knows (like, MorrisSteele or LonesomePolecat?) please let me know. It was one of my favourite threads.

Did you, "EdithsHead", have another user name?

However, as I specified, all I'm really interested in is the "20th Century Vole" thread. Since it was, as I said, un-categorizable, I have no idea where it would have ended up.

If anyone knows (like, MorrisSteele or LonesomePolecat?) please let me know. It was one of my favourite threads.

I sort of forgot about it with the other things going on with the makeover, and

really didn't think about it until a few days later. I'm going to take a week off and

revive it next week, unless someone wants to do it before then, which is fine.

Now see, you learn something new every day. I had always thought that Ediths

Head was the B side of Andy's Chest.

No, ignore that quote from Edith and her head, I don't know how to just quote one person when there are two quotes in the post. It was MorrisSteele who made the statement below:

Now see, you learn something new every day. I had always thought that Ediths

Head was the B side of Andy's Chest.

Well, Andy was friendly with a girl called Edith - well, Edie, actually. Sedgwick. I imagine her official name was Edith. However, fashionable though she was -hence a kind of spiritual connection with Edith Head - I don't believe that Mr. Reed wrote a song about her. Or the other Edith. Actually, it would have been a good idea. I'm afraid I am blathering.

Here they are, Morris. Andy and Edie:

edie-sedgwick-and-andy-warhol.jpg

I suppose she was better looking than Edith Head.There's a so-so movie about her, "Factory Girl" I think it's called (nothing to do with the Stones' song.)

Not to be a lookist, but saying someone was better looking than Edith Head

isn't much of a recommendation. I've read a little bit about Edie over the years.

I think she was likely a well-off suburbanite doing a bit of slumming when she

first started hanging around with Warhol, and then things went downhill and

ended badly.

I know that Lou put some of the superstars' names into Walk on the Wild Side,

but I can't remember if Edie was among them. He may have mentioned her in

other songs, even if not under her name. I'm pretty sure he never wrote a song

about Edith Head, but you can never be sure about these things.

Calling Baranca...calling Baranca..

This place is so cool now. Well, it was so cool before.. 

When the Boards were offline, I installed a new computer tower with factory installed Windows 8.1 (not touch-screen) - my 15 year old tower was Windows XP - had to go.

New Message Boards.. new Windows.. So much cool new stuff to play with!  :P

I really like the Avatar

I really like the mass quantities of edit features

I really like what appear to be webpage coding tools..?

..and I really, really like deep chocolate full-fat ice cream with chunks of dark chocolate

.. more later

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/29892-20th-century-vole-presents/

I think it's here?

Anyone miss the old GENRE forums?? :unsure:

Mr6x3,

The Genre forums are still there.

On the left hand side of any page you should see:

TCM Message Boards>>>> TCM Message Boards>>>>>General Discussion (or which ever forum you are in)

Be sure you click on the first TCM Message Boards (the one furthest to the left) as that will take you out to ALL of the forums.

If you click on the second one (the one in the middle), it only takes you out to JUST the Main Forum page.

• Like 1

Aaaaaaaah, thanks Ms. Cutter, but when I click on that I see the "We're Making Big Improvements" page!

(Is it just ME?) :unsure:

Mr. 6x3,

Try clearing your cache and cookies. That solved the problem for a couple of people!

that appears to have worked, though I had to re-register yet AGAIN & obtain my umpteenth password !!

Thanks for your help & patience, not only with me, but everyone here

:wub:

In the future going forward, Mr. 6x3, you should be able to X out of the ReRegister screen that can come to the forefront when accessing the site and just go straight to the Sign In icon in the upper right hand corner, entire your user name and password and hit enter.

Note:  This will only work if you have gone through the Re-Registration and confirmation process and have re-established your user name on these boards.

Thanks, by the way, for the kind words! I'm just trying to be sure that everyone gets the help they need in getting these boards to work for them!

• Like 1

Today I was able to register my oldname - but I'm denied access to some of the forums (General Discussions, Information Please) and allowed in to others (Admin, Stickies, Friday Night Spotlight).  Anyone else having same situation?  Obviously this post was done with my temp name. :-)

Sure wish the default was changed to show thread content oldest first.

Today I was able to register my oldname - but I'm denied access to some of the forums (General Discussions, Information Please) and allowed in to others (Admin, Stickies, Friday Night Spotlight).  Anyone else having same situation?  Obviously this post was done with my temp name. :-)

Sure wish the default was changed to show thread content oldest first.

iLurk,

Contact TCMModerator1 using the instructions in the "Registration Issues" announcement in the Announcement Forum. A couple of people have had that problem and have had it resolved with TCMMod1's help.