Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Swithin

New boards

Here's a test of the Special BBCode functions:

Acronym:   ****

move the cursor over it to learn the secret message.  Oops, the filter beast won't allow it.  L-M-A-O.

Background color:

test

Not sure I know how to use that.

Horizontal Rule:

That worked.

Media:

That worked, too.

Member:

@slaytonf

That didn't seem to work.

Post link

I haven't a clue how to work, because I don't know what is meant by a post ID, or the title of the link.

Spoiler tag:

test

Cool.  That seems to work.  Now we can all spill the beans as much as we want and not have to worry about some grumpus whining about how you spoiled his life by revealing Rosebud was a sled.

Topic Link:

Again, I don't know what is meant by a topic ID is, or the name of the link.

Twitter:

Links to a Twitter account, which I have, but which I have also forgotten, so I won't be able to see how it works.

Looking back to some of my posts from an earlier thread, I found that some posted images

remain as pictures, while a great many have been reduced to URL links, including my old

Thelma Todd signature GIF.

One of my old project threads: VINTAGE EXPLOITATION FILMS-FILMOGRAPHY is now a

"Code 404"- Not Found. A lot of work lost.

I feared as much with this whole redesign, that a lot of our past work would be shot. It would

have been better to keep the old threads in their old format, and apply the new format to new

threads launched from today on.

Oh well, you can go back as far as you want and do an "edit" on any of your old posts. The

old system cut off your editing ability after 48 hours.

can someone tell me how to post a 'profile' pic?

You would click on your u s e r n a m e at the top of the screen, choose "My Profile" and then near the top you would choose "Edit My Profile".

("u s e r n a m e" got flagged as a bad word with all letters typed together, lol... :) )

• Like 1

Hi mr6666,

Click on the image box. That gives you your profile page. Then move your cursor to the image box

again, untill you see "Change" in the upper left corner. Click on Change and you will get another page

that will allow you to plug in the URL address for the picture you want.

I tried copying and pasting an image directly without posting a URL address, but the system

doesn't seem to like that.

I noticed on my profile page I can see a three page list of all the threads I have posted to, but it only

goes back a year..

• Like 1

can someone tell me how to post a 'profile' pic?

Mr. 6x3,

Go to your Control Panel,

It's accessible at the top of the page, click on your name and a pull down menu appears.

Go to My Profile

From there you click on Edit My Profile

The first option should be to Change My Photo

You click on that and can upload a picture from your computer or a URL (it has to be small, 50kb).

If it is too big, it will give you an error message.

If not, you can crop the image if you desire.

Hit done and your avatar should appear!

• Like 1

Thanks, folks, :wacko:  for help with profile pic!

(had trouble with sizing)

P.S. to Lzcutter, good to see Kyle again

I am having trouble getting my old name reregistered.  Get the emailed pass-word.  Entering it shows my name in upper right, but get the very unfriendly message that I'm not permitted on the site.  Have to Sign Off to read posts.  Boy, does that deflate your ego - lower permissions than a visitor.  Tried yesterday several times & reset this morning again with same results.  I see the post in admin about contacting the moderators, but there's no details of how to do this, particularly when you can't log in.  Catch 22.  Tried to email about problem, but so far no response.  I know I'm the only one with this problem - not.  Created a dummy name  just to post this.

IMHO, the default view should be changed to the more standard & intuitive oldest message first in the thread.  It is such a pain to read threads in its current native mode.  Not at all newbie friendly.  Actually I've been around for a really long time, but seldom login or post.  The First Unread, again IMHO, replaces the navigation advantage of top post.

As for the filtering, it was so irritating that it became funny when I was reading a thread where the posters were trying to describe the slang used in Minnie the Moocher.

Has anyone hit the "like this" for a post? The Facebook blob is taking over the world. I guess that if you "like" your own post, you should feel free to blow your own horn.

• Like 1

Has anyone hit the "like this" for a post? The **** blob is taking over the world. I guess that if you "like" your own post, you should feel free to blow your own horn.

I've liked a few. And a couple of my posts have been liked by others. I get messages and emails when that happens. I think it's a nice new feature.

I've liked a few. And a couple of my posts have been liked by others. I get messages and emails when that happens. I think it's a nice new feature.

I can't believe what was bleeped out of my post.

I can't believe what was bleeped out of my post.

I thought you put the asterisks in as a joke!

Is any one else having this issue:

I am able to log on using my laptop with Safari or Google Chrome-- but-- on my iPhone, which uses Safari, I keep getting the construction page, and I cannot get to the message boards.

I have rebooted my phone, I have re-typed the web address for the TCM forums, exactly like it is on my laptop-- nothing works.

Also, I have gone to google and typed in the name of a thread with TCM message board after it, and the thread does come up on Google's web search, but when I click on it, it says 'error' or that the page is no longer there.

Advice from iPhone users would be most welcome!

Has anyone figured out how to re-size pictures?

I don't mean "cropping" them,but changing the size of the image itself? That

used to be possible under the old system albeit with a clunky, non-intuitive

protocol.

Is any one else having this issue:

I am able to log on using my laptop with Safari or Google Chrome-- but-- on my iPhone, which uses Safari, I keep getting the construction page, and I cannot get to the message boards.

I have rebooted my phone, I have re-typed the web address for the TCM forums, exactly like it is on my laptop-- nothing works.

Also, I have gone to google and typed in the name of a thread with TCM message board after it, and the thread does come up on Google's web search, but when I click on it, it says 'error' or that the page is no longer there.

Advice from iPhone users would be most welcome!

TB,

There is an issue with Iphone users being able to access the boards via their phones. The techs are aware of the issue with it  but this being the weekend, not sure if the issue will get addressed before Monday.

• Like 1

TB,

There is an issue with Iphone users being able to access the boards via their phones. The techs are aware of the issue with it  but this being the weekend, not sure if the issue will get addressed before Monday.

Thank you lz...wasn't sure if it was my phone or not.  I appreciate the reply!

protocol.

Thelma,

I'm not aware of a way to resize photos through this site. If you have a Windows computer, you can resize photos through their Paint software (comes with most Windows installations). If you are on a Mac, you can use Preview (comes with most Mac installations) to resize photos.

It is a feature which I had hoped would not be present. I have seen it become a point of resentment on several forums. Many people develop a subconscious attitude that if a certain poster has never "liked" any of their posts then they are not being friendly and should be snubbed in return. I have seen some posters use it automatically on all posts within a thread which they started and so it becomes meaningless. I have read of incidents when a poster will create many sock puppets in a forum for the sole purpose of "liking" all that they post. Some people come to view it as a contest to see who can gather the most "likes" and so begin posting inane content for the sole purpose of harvesting "likes".

I believe that it is sadly like many things in life: an excellent idea in theory but a nightmare when put into practice because some people will find a method to abuse it. 

• Like 1

Guest johnm_001

I am having trouble getting my old name reregistered.  Get the emailed pass-word.  Entering it shows my name in upper right, but get the very unfriendly message that I'm not permitted on the site.  Have to Sign Off to read posts.  Boy, does that deflate your ego - lower permissions than a visitor.  Tried yesterday several times & reset this morning again with same results.  I see the post in admin about contacting the moderators, but there's no details of how to do this, particularly when you can't log in.  Catch 22.  Tried to email about problem, but so far no response.  I know I'm the only one with this problem - not.  Created a dummy name  just to post this.

IMHO, the default view should be changed to the more standard & intuitive oldest message first in the thread.  It is such a pain to read threads in its current native mode.  Not at all newbie friendly.  Actually I've been around for a really long time, but seldom login or post.  The First Unread, again IMHO, replaces the navigation advantage of top post.

As for the filtering, it was so irritating that it became funny when I was reading a thread where the posters were trying to describe the slang used in Minnie the Moocher.

My email has changed since I first registered at this site, but I've always just kept signing-on with it.  Of course, since we had to get a confirmation email, I was unable to use it, so I am unable to keep my former name or be associated with my former posts.  They also attributed another username to my former posts.  Very strange.  So, someone called sixtiesfilmfan is associated with all my posts.

protocol.

I have found that to be a problem also. I attached images to a post in order to demonstrate a button location and menu options. The images are 516x248 and 612x432. They appear in my post as 100x48 and 100x72 respectively. Clicking on the images opens them as the proper size. It is sad to say that I have as yet found no explanation nor menu selection to explain it.

510 x 640, full size. I'll try to find a way to reduce the size.

$(KGrHqZ,!oIFHc5hGMvoBR4qIO(BtQ~~60_57.j

I've often seen voting buttons on other websites, and rather like the feature. (Some websites

allow down vote buttons as well!) Almost all of them disable the user from "liking" their own

post! Most allow anonymous voting. I'm not sure about displaying the identity of the person

voting however. (Disqus does that as well)

The BBC discussion forums are read globally, and the readers can be ruthless with the voting feature!

Posts can get hundreds of up votes, if the house likes what you have to say! Those whose comment

the readership doesn't like are in for a big public humiliation! I've seen comments get voted minus

1,500, even more!

Hi LZ, Thanks!

Hi Fred, thanks for trying! You were the house expert on doing that under the old system, and you were

most helpful to so many people on technical questions and issues!

Hi SansFin- that sounds like a good suggestion! It looks like an extra step. Sometimes it's necessary, as

the picture mat output to small, or too large!

I DOOD IT! :)

I changed the 640 number in the URL code to 350.. :)

$(KGrHqZ,!oIFHc5hGMvoBR4qIO(BtQ~~60_57.j

I believe that it is sadly like many things in life: an excellent idea in theory but a nightmare when put into practice because some people will find a method to abuse it. 

I understand your point and hope it doesn't come to that.  I find it useful, because sometimes one wants to agree with someone without necessary typing a response, saying, "yes, I like that movie or actor as well;" or "yes, that's been shown too often;" or whatever. I hope this new feature does not deteriorate into what you fear.