Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I find it useful, because sometimes one wants to agree with someone without necessary typing a response, saying, "yes, I like that movie or actor as well;" or "yes, that's been shown to often;" or whatever.

I feel that what you state is the ideal use of it. It prevents many: "me, too" posts which many people find uncomfortable to write.

• Like 2

Fred, you are awesome! I think you've found it! Leave it to you to figure out a way!

The scaling involves a second number, I assume you had to change that as well?

So if I understand correctly, when you paste the URL code for the picture, you can then fudge the

two scaling numbers to change the output size? That sounds very easy to do. Being able to use

the preview feature allows you to check the appearance before you publish!

Thelma,

I found only one size number, following the letter s

But most photos don't have any size numbers in their URL codes, so I don't know yet how to reduce those in size.

We might have to copy them to a computer file, then copy to a Tinypic file and re-size them during that copy.

But I'll try to find a shorter way.

I found a way to copy and post IMDB photos by playing around with their codes. :)

I feel that what you state is the ideal use of it. It prevents many: "me, too" posts which many people find uncomfortable to write.

just got a "you've reached your QUOTA for positive votes for the day" ?? LOL

:P

Ok, I found a picture re-sizer program. You'll have to play around with it, but it works. Follow the instructions.

Click on FROM COMPUTER or FROM WEB, where ever the photo is located:

http://www.picresize.com/

I don't know how long these will last. They might go blank after a while, so you might want to save the large and small size image to a computer file for photos, so you can repost it using tinypic.

t3rsz_5735107447_16d46a109a_o.jpg

airship14_zps1a92ecdf.jpg

Hi Fred and everybody else interested in resizing pictures,

I have found that the Photobucket service that I use to host images has an Edit button,

and an icon for resizing. When I first posted this picture to the airship thread a while

back, it came out way too huge, with only the rear section of the blimp visible.

It looks like resizing is best done off site through your hosting service.

Hi SansFin- that sounds like a good suggestion! It looks like an extra step. Sometimes it's necessary, as

the picture mat output to small, or too large!

It is unfortunate that it requires the extra step. One of the advantages of attaching images hosted by the site to which one is posting is that they should at all times appear as they were uploaded. I have never before seen such images altered when presented in a post except in cases where the image is so very large that a thumbnail of the image is required to prevent it from overpowering the page display.

I in particular do not understand why the images in my post do not display correctly. They uploaded to the site at the correct size and are no larger than many other displayed images. I will wait a few weeks until the flurry of more important problems subside and then ask the moderators for an explanation or fix.

Thelma,

Looks like the Re-Sizer photos last only a few minutes. I guess it is to give us time to save the smaller images to our computer files, then we can use Tinypic to get them a URL address and post them on the board.

Or, we can use your method.

Let us know if anyone finds any other methods.

Fred

Ok, here's the quickest method I've found so far, for reducing the size of a photo for posting on this board:

I started with large format photo URL (click on this to see the large photo and to get the full URL address for that photo):

http://d1g4sq00ps2bp3.cloudfront.net/entertainment/23751_3.jpg

I typed that URL into the blank Tinypic URL box, and I down-sized it to a smaller size, and I got this new URL for the smaller photo:

http://i57.tinypic.com/30mafzo.jpg

Typed that URL into This forum via Image input button (the image input button is blue and it is just below and to the left of the smiley face image on the format section that you see when you are typing a message in the main blank-form reply box) And I ended up with this smaller photo:

30mafzo.jpg

Here is a smaller Tinypic version:

vi1vyq.jpg

Dear Fred,

I like it that we trying  to hash out these

picture related tech issues! I'm sure other users

are wondering about the same things!

Appreciate the input below. Good to know!

BTW, How do you thumbnail pictures? In there an

in house icon or command that can do it, or does it have to

be saved that way?

Dear Fred,

BTW, How do you thumbnail pictures? In there an

in house icon or command that can do it, or does it have to

be saved that way?

I don't remember. I could do it yesterday, but I forgot how I did it.

And another thing... This site now discriminates against Canadians. I tried to re-register under a new user name (just for a change, miss wonderly's getting on...), but the form wanted my address. Fine, I don't know why they want it, but I was willing to provide it for them.

But ! Infuriatingly, it seemed to think that if you lived outside the United States, you didn't exist. The drop-down box for "state" was just that, a list of all 50 states, in abbreviated form, but NO OPTION for provinces. 

I tried just typing in my province in the "state" field, but the form was having none of that. I tried to sneak past all that and just leave it blank, but when I completed the from as much as I could and hit "submit", a message in red popped up (of course), telling me I had to fill out all fields, otherwise I did not exist and would not be recognized, and if I tried again I'd be arrested and thrown into prison, with rats and a diet of stale bread and bad water. So I gave up.

It would seem so.

Well, "grandfathered" is perhaps a good word for it, since I suspect that most posters here, of whatever nationality, are closer to a granparent's age rather than a grandchild's.

lzcutter, you've been offering a lot of useful technical advice here. Any suggestions for Canadians who want to re-register under a new user name? Or even new Canadian members who just want to register even once, but find that the registration form refuses to acknowledge the existence of "provinces". ?

I tried to re-register under a new user name (just for a change, miss wonderly's getting on...), but the form wanted my address. 

But we love you as Miss W (baby) -- why would you want to change? 

It would seem so.

Well, "grandfathered" is perhaps a good word for it, since I suspect that most posters here, of whatever nationality, are closer to a granparent's age rather than a grandchild's.

lzcutter, you've been offering a lot of useful technical advice here. Any suggestions for Canadians who want to re-register under a new user name? Or even new Canadian members who just want to register even once, but find that the registration form refuses to acknowledge the existence of "provinces". ?

Would it be possible to fabricate a U. S. address?  Or would the gorgons of the gate know your computer is based in Canada?

What does that swoosh arrow under the username in the quote mean?

Ok, here's the quickest method I've found so far, for reducing the size of a photo for posting on this board:

I started with large format photo URL (click on this to see the large photo and to get the full URL address for that photo):

http://d1g4sq00ps2bp3.cloudfront.net/entertainment/23751_3.jpg

I typed that URL into the blank Tinypic URL box, and I down-sized it to a smaller size, and I got this new URL for the smaller photo:

http://i57.tinypic.com/30mafzo.jpg

Typed that URL into This forum via Image input button (the image input button is blue and it is just below and to the left of the smiley face image on the format section that you see when you are typing a message in the main blank-form reply box) And I ended up with this smaller photo:

30mafzo.jpg

Here is a smaller Tinypic version:

vi1vyq.jpg

Thought  I try a Youtube clip out. Man was ET ever FAR from home!  :lol:

The new software here and speaking of smooth transitions has reminded me strongly of my first experience with a new computer system. I hope all will excuse my reminiscence. 

Virtually all activities in our building were mundane administration support but it was during the Cold War and so the system of paperwork had been designed so that security was of primary importance. The need to perform productive work was a begrudging afterthought. The oft-repeated excuse for treating all information as secret was that the enemy could determine how many people were stationed at a base if they could learn how much toilet paper was sent there each month. 

We maintained a high efficiency rating because of the many ways we found to circumvent silly restrictions. Our section was one of the last of our kind to be given a computer because it was thought that we did not truly need it.

We were blessed to be chosen to receive a package which had been developed at and used for a considerable time by a distant facility. They had refined all aspects so that it was as error and glitch free as was possible. The mainframe installed in our building was an exact duplicate of their current one and the operating system and programs were their most recent debugged versions.

It required months of nasty construction work for them to install the necessary terminals in all offices. We all then spent a minimum of an hour a day doing mythical work on the terminals so as to learn the system and to allow them to track down and repair wiring faults and other such problems. We lost nearly a week then while they removed most of our old equipment, rearranged offices and bundled up paper forms and sent them for burning. 

The day we were to begin using the system in earnest was a great anti-climax. The system refused to recognize any terminal. It was tried to reset it to the test mode but that version of the operating system generated random data and did not allow any terminal to retrieve information entered at any other terminal.

We scrambled to do usual work even although we had nearly no tools with which to do it. There had been more than twenty typewriters in our office and mine was one of the three which remained. Tables from the cafeteria were conscripted because many desks had been removed. Printed forms were reserved for paperwork leaving the building. Rolls of butcher paper were our primary source of paper for internal records.

Our main comfort was that payroll was handled in a different building and so we continued to be paid on time.

I am happy to say that I had several weeks of travel soon after. I learned when I returned that the problem had been found to be that the computer had a circuit board which prevented unauthorized use. Certain settings had to be made on the control panel to unlock it. A complication was that no person knew the settings because the board was a duplicate of the one at the originating facility and no one there would reveal the code. A board with a new code had to be fabricated and installed.

The situation remained a mess when I returned because a further complication was that there were secure-identification circuit boards in all terminals which had to be replaced before the new board in the computer would recognize them. They had begun to replace the terminal boards at their location but there had been a fire because of the anti-tampering shielding and so each terminal had to be removed, taken to a remote building, have a new board installed by one of the two technicians qualified to do the work, returned to its office and reinstalled. This dragged out a very long time because of the great number of terminals.

It is sad to say that our productivity dropped considerably even after the system became fully operational because it was not possible circumvent the multitude of silly security restrictions.

My experience with that and similar incidents has instilled a certain sang-froid as concerns computer software problems.

TL:DR The anticipated glitch-free installation of a computer system did not work at all for several weeks and was of limited use for months after.