Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I clicked on the LIKE button for your post, but all I see now is "You Like This". Isn't my screen name suppose to be there too?

It shows up on my screen as "FredCDobbs likes this", Ive seen places where other people have liked other posts and it says their name too. I assume that if more than 1 or 2 people like a post, it will show up as "4 people like this" sort of like FB does?

Also, Ive noticed that several people have mentioned the loss of certain forums (is that the word Im looking for?) like "Hot Topics" I noticed the "Genre Forums" have, to paraphrase Lewis Carroll, softly and suddenly vanished away, never to be met with again...will the missing threads/forums/whatever be re-integrated at some point or are they gone for good?

Also, Ive noticed that several people have mentioned the loss of certain forums (is that the word Im looking for?) like "Hot Topics" I noticed the "Genre Forums" have, to paraphrase Lewis Carroll, softly and suddenly vanished away, never to be met with again...will the missing threads/forums/whatever be re-integrated at some point or are they gone for good?

Genre forums is here:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/forum/11-genre-forum/

I will admit though that it did seem to be playing hide-and-seek yesterday.

The Genre Forums are still with us. At the top of this forum you probably have something that looks like this

TCM Message Boards ----> TCM Message Boards ----> General Discussions

Make sure you click on the far left, and you should see all the forums.  The other links collapse the forums.

Tracey,

The Genre forums are still there.  

At the top of each thread, it says:

TCM Message Boards> TCM Message Boards>General Discussions

If you click on the middle one- TCM Message Boards-instead of the farthest one to the left- to get out to the Main Forums you will only see the Main Forum Pages.

If you click on the the first one (the farthest to the left), you will get out to all the boards, the Main Forums, the Film Festival forums, the Cruise Forums, Genre Forums and Tech Forums.

Hope that helps!

File:Katharine_Hepburn_promo_pic.jpg

Tried it. As you can see, either I did it wrong, or it doesn't work...

To post a picture in that manner is called: "hotlinking." It is possible but it is undesirable for several reasons. 

1) The site where the picture is posted can remove, alter or replace it at any time.

2) Some sites substitute an offensive picture when it is not viewed from their site.

3) Some sites consider it theft as it increases their bandwidth usage with no corresponding increase in site traffic.

A better alternative is to attach the image to your post:

1) Right-click on the image and select: "Save image" and make note of where it is saved on your computer.

2) Begin your post in this forum.

3) Below the message box is: "Attach Files." Click: "Choose File" which is directly below it.

4) A box will open for you to navigate to and select the picture you saved.

5) Click: "Attach This File."

6) A thumbnail of the picture will appear below the message box. Click: "Add to Post."

post-31314-0-02126200-1396832602_thumb.jpg

It may seem more complicated but it is all very straightforward when you become accustomed to it.

A great advantage is that the picture is retained in your: My Settings->Manage Attachments folder and so it is easy for you to find and use it many times.

post-31314-0-02126200-1396832602_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

File:Katharine_Hepburn_promo_pic.jpg

Tried it. As you can see, either I did it wrong, or it doesn't work...

Following Sans advice about saving the image to your computer, you can then upload the image to a site like Photobucket. Once you have done that, copy the Direct code (easy to do just by clicking on the box).

Click on the Image Icon and paste the Direct code into the URL and it should show up like this:

losangelesatnight_zps1d096672.jpg

That way, you have the image on your computer and you can use the photo hosting site to gather your images and reuse them in other threads without having to hunt the internet looking for that image from six months or two years ago.

Helps with organizing, too!

lz and sansfin--

Thanks for your replies. I do know how to post the ways you described. :)

Thelmatodd had wondered if you could post directly from the 'net, so I tried it, becasue I wondered too. Sometimes it would be nice not to have to go to all the trouble of Photobucket-ing a pic just to post it. Oh well.  

And lz--thanks for the info on the other forums!

I just want to convey my thanks to TCModerator1 for getting my old user account reinstated.  :)  So PappysGal is back to MissG, at least for a while.  I just need them to get the right email on my account and everything should be good to go. :)

Tracey, baby, I don't actually loathe Comic Sans MS. I just liked the idea of writing that I loathed it while typing in Comic Sans MS.

Yeah, I know.  But it really does irritate me when it's used on signs and things for grown-ups. Seems so childish (or condescending?). One of my bosses does it all the time.

(probably everyone else always sees your screen name).

They do. The standard is for it to say: "You" as first in the list as an alert that you have responded and need not do so again. 

It is the feature of showing slightly different information when you are logged in that led many to believe when they were told that it was safe to type their password in their post because they could see it plainly but all others would see only a string of asterisks. 

Nice that you can post without including a previous post.

Nice, of course, to have a bevy of formatting.

Nice that the site remembers the previous login.

You mean it was harder before to link pictures? You wouldn't have known it.

Much more expedient to have 'hot' topics in the same forum as the 'general' topics.

VERY nice remodel, this time around.

finance, if you click on the 'Members' tab at the top of the screen, and filter by "post count", your name is at the top of the list with the most posts, so you're still the champ. ;)

The Champ? As Muhammed Ali said, "I'm the greatest............of ALL TIME!!!

Where, under the new format, do you find the number of members who are currently on the boards?

On the main page of the Message Boards where at the top are two tabs. One says Forums, the other one says Members. With the Forums tab selected, scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page under all of the listings of the various forums, you will see the following:

45 users online ( in the past 15 minutes )

18 members, 27 guests, 0 anonymous users (see full list)

This is not meant to be aimed at you, but rather a general comment about members here investigating the new boards before commenting on problems they might be having. You need to do a little more looking around before you ask these types of questions. This is one of the biggest issues I have with people as they come to the new boards. If they can't find something or if they see something is not there or they can't figure something out they ask questions before trying out something for themselves first.

Instead of asking the question you have asked, you could have just looked around the site and seen for yourself all of the wonderful new things they have here. There have been several posters coming on here with their ususal comments about how terrible the new design of the message boards are and how difficult it is to use the new boards. I'd say give it a try first, look around, check out all of the new benefits.

Are there some glaring technical issues or are some forums and threads missing? Yes, there are. And I am sure that they are going to be working on fixing these issues.

And then after spending sometime doing that if you have questions and or concerns shoot the admins or moderators an email with your concerns and questions and they WILL get back to you as they did with me this morning with solid answers to a few questions I had for them.

I say just explore first and look around, try some of the new things and then like I wrote before ask questions. And give them some time. They have a lot of people to help and get back to.

Sorry everybody, I believe this question was raised (somewhere, maybe not this thread), but goldarnit, I forget the answer.

What happened to the "Hot Topics" forum?

The main reason I'm interested is, I enjoyed the "20th Century Vole" thread. (although why it was in "hot topics", I do not know. Because it was un-categorizable, I guess.)

So if anyone has an answer, please don't just tell me where "Hot Topics" is. Tell me where "20th Century Vole" is. Did it make it through the iconoclasm?

What happened to the "Hot Topics" forum?

The main reason I'm interested is, I enjoyed the "20th Century Vole" thread. (although why it was in "hot topics", I do not know. Because it was un-categorizable, I guess.)

So if anyone has an answer, please don't just tell me where "Hot Topics" is. Tell me where "20th Century Vole" is. Did it make it through the iconoclasm?

According to the questions I sent to the admins over the weekend, the reason why they removed Hot Topics is this:

"Hot Topics was removed because it appeared repetitious--we may revisit this".

Someone else commented earlier today or yesterday that they thought some of the topics from Hot Topics had been spared but are now located on other new forums here on the new message boards.

I am sad to say that it appears that it failed to have made the transition. I attempted to open a few of the pages and all received: 404 Error - Page Not Found.

I suspect that a focus was made on movie-related threads being retained from that board. Threads which were purely for fun were allowed to disappear.

Thanks, fxreyman, I appreciate your efforts to help.

However, as I specified, all I'm really interested in is the "20th Century Vole" thread. Since it was, as I said, un-categorizable, I have no idea where it would have ended up.

If anyone knows (like, MorrisSteele or LonesomePolecat?) please let me know. It was one of my favourite threads.

Thanks, fxreyman, I appreciate your efforts to help.

However, as I specified, all I'm really interested in is the "20th Century Vole" thread. Since it was, as I said, un-categorizable, I have no idea where it would have ended up.

If anyone knows (like, MorrisSteele or LonesomePolecat?) please let me know. It was one of my favourite threads.

You are welcomed!

Unfortunately I think many of the Hot Topics threads are gone for good now. Although as I wrote in response to you some may have been placed in the new Genreal Discussions Forum. Maybe you should conduct a search under each forum to see if it was indeed saved and placed on one of the new forums.

Or, you could contact the admins/moderators and ask them directly.