Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why are some threads locked, words prohibited?

TopBilled

I have not been able to reply to the Classic Pairings thread, because I keep getting a message that it is now a locked thread.  Is this a temporary glitch?

Also-- in another thread about the Agatha Christie movies, I tried to type the word mur-der (which I have to hyphenate for it to post without a bunch of stars) and in the Maureen O'Hara thread I was going to mention that DO YOU LOVE ME is a rare chance to see Dic-k Haymes on TCM, and of course his first name is not allowed on here.  LOL

I have not been able to reply to the Classic Pairings thread, because I keep getting a message that it is now a locked thread.  Is this a temporary glitch?

Also-- in another thread about the Agatha Christie movies, I tried to type the word mur-der (which I have to hyphenate for it to post without a bunch of stars) and in the Maureen O'Hara thread I was going to mention that DO YOU LOVE ME is a rare chance to see Dic-k Haymes on TCM, and of course his first name is not allowed on here.  LOL

Neither is P---word! LOL.

TB,

Other folks are writing in the "new boards" thread that they have encountered the same thing in other threads so it looks like it is a glitch.

It might be worth starting a thread where people can post the problems they encounter that way there is one thread dedicated to the problems and that might make it easier for the techs to see.

Just a thought......

I ran into the same problem with the "I Dood It" thread.

What gives, Administrator?

Ever hear the expression, "If it ain't broke, DON'T fix it"?

Sepiatone

No, they didnt! I'm having that problem too. Maybe they want to keep posting down the first day? LOL.

I put up a review of ACT OF VIOLENCE in the thread on the film, now I see that "Na-zi", "pros-ti-tute" and "mur-der" have all been replaced by stars. That's a bit much, we're adults here and as two of those words show up quite frequently in film titles, does this mean that I can't refer to Conrad Veidt in NA-ZI AGENT or James Stewart in ANATOMY OF A MUR-DER?

It might be worth starting a thread where people can post the problems they encounter that way there is one thread dedicated to the problems and that might make it easier for the techs to see.

Just a thought......

I agree.  I am sure they are aware of some glitches and are working on them.  

Another item I was wondering is if there is a way to adjust the font-- I feel that the text is too large now to read, and I wish I could shrink it down a bit.  I don't like having to scroll constantly to see the rest of what someone has written-- I like for it all fit on one screen.  A minor quibble.  :)

I put up a review of ACT OF VIOLENCE in the thread on the film, now I see that "Na-zi", "pros-ti-tute" and "mur-der" have all been replaced by stars. That's a bit much, we're adults here and as two of those words show up quite frequently in film titles, does this mean that I can't refer to Conrad Veidt in NA-ZI AGENT or James Stewart in ANATOMY OF A MUR-DER?

I agree, clore.  TCM shows its share of crime films, so how can we not use some of that particular vocabulary...?  And the first name Dic-k is very common-- Powell and Haymes spring to mind.  We need to be able to use that word on here correctly.  These guys did not call themselves Richard. LOL

I must wonder if they mean to force us to expand our vocabulary skills.

Should we now refer to the 1939 movie by Clark Gable and Norma Shearer as: An utterly foolish or senseless person's Delight (1939)?

Is: The unlawful premeditated ending of the life of a human being Most offensive to the senses (1964) the acceptable title of the Margaret Rutherford version of the Agatha Christie novel?

Other words which I have found are not acceptable to the automatic censors:

:)

• Like 2

Ah, Opening Day glitches aren't they wonderful.

Once the various kinks get worked out (ie the word filter and locked threads that shouldn't be locked), the new boards do seem easier to use.

I understand well the irritation which is felt by the automated censorship. It is fortunate that I found a point of absurdity in it which has made me laugh:

It is required in schedules for: TCM Programming Challenge to indicate the length of the movie in minutes. I have noticed that movies which are between sixty-eight minutes long and seventy minutes long have had their time bleeped by asterisks.

• Like 2

Is Kyle's thread archive gone for good?

Pats,

I don't think so. Kyle's forum and the Classic DVD forum will return- they are just a little behind on migrating them over as I understand it.

I haven't used any words that resemble words of a colorful nature today, so I don't know whether you are all kidding or not, about the prohibition/editing of certain words. However, if it's true, I'm surprised they allow the words "advanced member" all over the site!

• Like 1

I haven't used any words that resemble words of a colorful nature today, so I don't know whether you are all kidding or not, about the prohibition/editing of certain words. However, if it's true, I'm surprised they allow the words "advanced member" all over the site!

That's very forward of you to say that.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings