THE LONG VOYAGE HOME (1940)

April 23
3 GODFATHERS (1948)
SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON (1949)
RIO GRANDE (1950)
THE QUIET MAN (1952)
THE WINGS OF EAGLES (1957)
HOW THE WEST WAS WON (1962)
SCREEN DIRECTORS PLAYHOUSE: ROOKIE OF THE YEAR (1955)
THEY WERE EXPENDABLE (1945)
OPERATION PACIFIC (1951)
THE FIGHTING SEABEES (1944)
BACK TO BATAAN (1945)
THE GREEN BERETS (1968)

April 24

REUNION IN FRANCE (1942)
FLYING TIGERS (1942)
FLYING LEATHERNECKS (1951)
THE SEA CHASE (1955)
CAST A GIANT SHADOW (1966)
BLOOD ALLEY (1955)
RED RIVER (1948)
THE SHEPHERD OF THE HILLS (1941)
REAP THE WILD WIND (1942)
THE SPOILERS (1942)
I MARRIED A WOMAN (1958)

April 25

TALL IN THE SADDLE (1944)
WITHOUT RESERVATIONS (1946)
TYCOON (1947)
ANGEL AND THE BADMAN (1947)
TROUBLE ALONG THE WAY (1953)
BIG JIM MCLAIN (1952)
RIO BRAVO (1959)
NORTH TO ALASKA (1960)
MCCLINTOCK! (1963)
THE SHOOTIST (1976)
THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER (1965)
THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD (1965)

April 26

BIG JAKE (1971) 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

TB,

I wanted to let you know about a bit of info I came across earlier this week while doing research on another topic.

Back in the early days of TCM, the SOTM screenings were held during one week (like the Wayne screenings this month) each month instead of the whole month the way they are now.

• Like 1

TB,

I wanted to let you know about a bit of info I came across earlier this week while doing research on another topic.

Back in the early days of TCM, the SOTM screenings were held during one week (like the Wayne screenings this month) each month instead of the whole month the way they are now.

Interesting tidbit.  Thanks for sharing the info.  I wonder if they will return to this all-in-one week format again.  I don't mind it.

The author (Scott Eyman) who was doing the intros with RO gave some interesting insights into John Wayne. I will keep an eye out for the bio book.

I think his commentary is very good.  I've enjoyed his remarks about the Duke and Maureen O'Hara.

TopBilled, in his comments for "The Shootist" , Scott Eyman emphasized that John Wayne and director Don Siegel didn't get along at all. Yet in the wiki and IMDb it is stated that Wayne admired Siegel's past work and Siegel downplayed any stories about the two not getting along. I like many of Don Siegel's films and this is certainly one of them. I always had the impression that this film was taylor made for Wayne, but he wasn't the original choice for the role and in fact had to campaign to get it.

• Like 1

I always had the impression that this film was Taylor made for Wayne, but he wasn't the original choice for the role and in fact had to campaign to get it.

If that's the case then I think Robert Taylor should have been given the role because he was tailor made for it. *chuckle chuckle*

TopBilled, in his comments for "The Shootist" , Scott Eyman emphasized that John Wayne and director Don Siegel didn't get along at all. Yet in the wiki and IMDb it is stated that Wayne admired Siegel's past work and Siegel downplayed any stories about the two not getting along. I like many of Don Siegel's films and this is certainly one of them. I always had the impression that this film was taylor made for Wayne, but he wasn't the original choice for the role and in fact had to campaign to get it.

I think there are several stories about the nature of Duke's working relationship with Siegel. I am sure that Duke, thinking it may be his last film, was putting the pressure on everyone involved to make it the best it could be. So it would be very likely that star and director were not sitting around each day on the set having a tea party.  

What we do know is that Duke's health was in jeopardy, the film was shut down for two weeks, and for a while, it looked as if THE SHOOTIST would not be completed (they still had to shoot the climactic finale). Fortunately, Duke recovered sufficiently and production resumed.  It is one of his best performances, and we are lucky to have such a great finished product.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of Eyman's books and have some of them in my home library. He is known for being thorough in his research and he talked to a number of people who knew Wayne as well as having access to personal papers of both Wayne and some of friends and compatriots.

So, I'd tend to lean towards Eyman's version rather than IMDB or Wiki at this point.

Lynn, I have to agree with you about going with Eyman's comments, the entries in Wiki and IMDb don't always indicate a source so I tend to believe that the comments there are more of an opinion of the unknown writer. I do believe I will buy the book on the "Duke". I missed some of Eyman's commentaries, just what was his original association with John Wayne, he did interview Wayne at one time didn't he?

Lynn, I have to agree with you about going with Eyman's comments, the entries in Wiki and IMDb don't always indicate a source so I tend to believe that the comments there are more of an opinion of the unknown writer. I do believe I will buy the book on the "Duke". I missed some of Eyman's commentaries, just what was his original association with John Wayne, he did interview Wayne at one time didn't he?

mrroberts,

I think Eyman interviewed him more than once.

Here are some promo videos of Eyman talking about the Duke and his latest book:

FYI, Scott Eyman will be taking questions about John Wayne over at the Silver Screen Oasis on Thursday, May 8th and Friday, May 9th!

Hope you and TB can join us!

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=6659

• Like 1

Hi, I am new to the forums but not to TCM. I enjoy entertaining movies and cannot say I am a particularly discerning viewer. Having said that and leaving myself open....lol, I enjoyed the week of John Wayne movies, some more than others. I am particularly fond of "Fort Apache" and "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon". I enjoyed him in "Cowboys", as well, along with "Hondo".

I guess I am saying that I am always entertained by a JW movie and I think that is what movies are all about, being entertained. So, for me, it was a win. I just happened to be home from work this week but I was very busy. I didn't watch it all week though I did get enough JW that I was happy and Entertained.

So, it worked for me and for a lot of folks that I know. Not for one of my four brothers though. LOL.

(I am over 70 and have seen lots of movies.)

• Like 1

Hi, I am new to the forums but not to TCM. I enjoy entertaining movies and cannot say I am a particularly discerning viewer. Having said that and leaving myself open....lol, I enjoyed the week of John Wayne movies, some more than others. I am particularly fond of "Fort Apache" and "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon". I enjoyed him in "Cowboys", as well, along with "Hondo".

I guess I am saying that I am always entertained by a JW movie and I think that is what movies are all about, being entertained. So, for me, it was a win. I just happened to be home from work this week but I was very busy. I didn't watch it all week though I did get enough JW that I was happy and Entertained.

So, it worked for me and for a lot of folks that I know. Not for one of my four brothers though. LOL.

(I am over 70 and have seen lots of movies.)

Welcome to the forums, Annie.  Glad you enjoyed the John Wayne films TCM broadcast this week.  So many good ones!  

Annie and I are of a similar mind about films and the value of just being entertained. That's why we all have different opinions on films, what entertains me doesn't necessarily entertain the next person, etc.  FORT APACHE and SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON are two films I particularly  like, but for somewhat different reasons. FORT APACHE has a great storyline and very serious, interesting characters. SWAYR is more light in mood and has some humor going, I believe it is my favorite John Wayne film characterization. And John Ford's filming scenes are really top notch.

• 2 weeks later...

I myself am a JW fan.  I love his movies, but for many different reasons.  The most important reason is my Father.  I remember when I was growing up, my dad sitting in his recliner with a drink, cig, book in his lap and a John Wayne or Henry Fonda moving playing on TV.  This was before satellite, so it was whatever movie he had on video or that the local stations were showing at the moment.  This is a favorite memory of mine, so when I see a JW or HF movie, I always remember those days! NOSTALGIC.....

We all have our reasons for watching the classics, with each movie comes a new memory!

John Wayne fans,

Don't forget, author Scott Eyman (who recently co-hosted the Wayne SOTM with Robert O) will be our guest author at the Silver Screen Oasis this Thursday and Friday.

Once you register (it's easy to do!), you can ask Mr. Eyman questions about the Duke, his life, his movies and his co-stars!

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/index.php

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

John Wayne fans,

Don't forget, author Scott Eyman (who recently co-hosted the Wayne SOTM with Robert O) will be our guest author at the Silver Screen Oasis this Thursday and Friday.

Once you register (it's easy to do!), you can ask Mr. Eyman questions about the Duke, his life, his movies and his co-stars!

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/index.php

I can't believe it. I just realized I missed this...hopefully, we are able to go over and look at what others asked, with the answers Mr. Eyman provided.

Is there a link to his specific event/discussion?

I can't believe it. I just realized I missed this...hopefully, we are able to go over and look at what others asked, with the answers Mr. Eyman provided.

Is there a link to his specific event/discussion?

All of the guest star discussions are archived on the SSO site so people can go back and read them if they want.

The link for that can be found here:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/viewforum.php?f=36&sid=dedd0b9ad7f319ad8b85c8199dd3b93c

The Scott Eyman/John Wayne discussion hasn't been moved to the archives yet (that will happen sometime early next week before our next guest star joins us next Friday)  and can still be found here:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=6669

If you read this after May 27th or 28th, you will find the Eyman/Wayne discussion in the Archive thread.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Jumping into a topic 2 months later (because this is what newbies do)...

I don't like John Wayne for the most part, so the fact that they showed a solid week of his movies was not pleasant for me. I basically didn't watch tv at all that entire week. 

<ducks down behind bar as shooting commences>

I don't like John Wayne for the most part, so the fact that they showed a solid week of his movies was not pleasant for me. I basically didn't watch tv at all that entire week. 

I went to Italy for vacation in April so I was able to avoid a week of Duke which was good for me.    PS: You can hide behind me since I'm used to being shot at around here!

• Like 1

Shut yo mouth ! LOL.

There were not any other channels to watch ?

As I have reached an advanced age, I have grown to love JW as he epitimizes the behavior of my brothers and father, in my mind. A simpler time, I suppose.....<s>

Shut yo mouth ! LOL.

There were not any other channels to watch ?

As I have reached an advanced age, I have grown to love JW as he epitimizes the behavior of my brothers and father, in my mind. A simpler time, I suppose.....<s>

Wayne starred in some very good if not great movies but in my favorite Wayne movies he doesn't play a very nice or decent person.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance,   The Searchers,   and Red River for example.    Stagecoach is a solid movie and Wayne is good as a man outside of the law.     I assume the characters Wayne plays in these fine movies doesn't remind you of the behavior of your brothers or father.    So what Wayne movies do?  

Wayne starred in some very good if not great movies but in my favorite Wayne movies he doesn't play a very nice or decent person.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance,   The Searchers,   and Red River for example.    Stagecoach is a solid movie and Wayne is good as a man outside of the law.     I assume the characters Wayne plays in these fine movies doesn't remind you of the behavior of your brothers or father.    So what Wayne movies do?  

Okay James , while I agree with you about Wayne's characters not being "very nice" or "decent" in "The Searchers" and "Red River", I always thought of his role as Tom Doniphon in "Liberty Valance" as being a fairly decent sort. I mean, putting aside the question of if "bushwhacking" Valance from the alley is a "decent" thing to do(or as Edmund O'Brien once says in this film, "You call Liberty Valance A MAN?!") , you must remember that IF he didn't do that, then the little town of Shinbone probably would have(not "would of" btw..wink, wink) been under the tyranny of Valance and not fit for "decent people" to live in for a much longer time than it would otherwise. In fact, for most of this film, Wayne pretty much acts as the sole "enforcer of decency" in Shinbone.

In other words, as that train conductor says as the final words of this film, "Nothin's too good for the(actual) man who shot Liberty Valance"! ;)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings