Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How do you set things up so oldest posts are listed first?

Richard Kimble

I do not know if this is what you seek:

Click this button on the board page:

post-31314-0-01130400-1396682347_thumb.jpg

You may then select a variety of sorting options.

I believe this will provide the oldest posts first:

post-31314-0-43604500-1396682808_thumb.jpg

I am sorry to say that you may have to click on those images in order to see them clearly. I do not know how to set the sizes.

post-31314-0-01130400-1396682347_thumb.jpg

post-31314-0-43604500-1396682808_thumb.jpg

Thanks SanFin...so good to see who has made it to "the other side" here. If you click directly on your small images they link to a larger version that can be clearly viewed.

Which option do we select to "ascend" posts from oldest to newest?

Sorry, SansFin, but those are only for the lists of threads in each forum. What we're looking for is a way to have the oldest posts in each individual thread show up at the top. English is normally read from left to right, and top to bottom (diagonal billing aside :) ), so it makes logical sense to have the oldest posts at the top.

Sorry, SansFin, but those are only for the lists of threads in each forum. What we're looking for is a way to have the oldest posts in each individual thread show up at the top. English is normally read from left to right, and top to bottom (diagonal billing aside :) ), so it makes logical sense to have the oldest posts at the top.

I am sorry that that is not what you wish. My only defense is that the first line of my post stated: "I do not know if this is what you seek"

It is common that forum software places customization of display of threads in a user's control panel. I have not found that option in this installation. You may have to request that that functionality be added.

I believe that the display of newest post in a thread being at the top is because most users do not wish to have to scroll past posts which they have read previously. I believe this is particularly true with threads which occupy many pages. A thread such as "Rambles II" or "Bronxie's" requires more than ten minutes of scrolling to go from the original post to the last post.

I believe that the display of newest post in a thread being at the top is because most users do not wish to have to scroll past posts which they have read previously.

Most boards (including this one) have an option to go to the first unread post. Click on the circle or star next to the title of the thread.

I am sorry to say that you may have to click on those images in order to see them clearly. I do not know how to set the sizes.

HI,

If you right click the small photos, you will then see the large ones and the large ones have a separate URL address:

http://turnerclassicmovies.invisionzone.com/uploads/monthly_04_2014/post-31314-0-43604500-1396682808.jpg

post-31314-0-43604500-1396682808.jpg

@ Fedya;   In other forums I belong to that have a default old post first set up, if the thread is multiple pages, you can, as in here, click on the page number you wish to go to.  In one forum, if you click on that number, you will be automatically taken to the first post after the last entry you made.  Been that way for years.  Don't know why the folks here don't see how others do theirs, and so simply, before trying to make "improvements" here.

Sepiatone

I set the "custom" bar to sort by: "last post" and sort direction: "descending (Z-A)" and the thread TITLES appear correctly.

I tried reversing the sort direction to "ascending (A-Z)" but this did not change the posts, only the threads. I also tried changing the "sort by" choices, but they didn't make a difference either.

There seems to be no way to get the posts WITHIN the thread to appear in order by time & date posted.

When you open the thread by the grey spot to the left of the thread title (go to first unread post) the thread still opens last post first.

It's mostly because for some reason the posts are numbered (wow big improvement :-P) but the LAST post is #1 and the first (original opening) post is #32 (if there are 32 posts within the thread)

Who wants to read the answer before the question?

Who wants to read the answer before the question?

People who love Jeopardy? ;)

I remember that sort order for threads could be customized in: Control Panel with the old software. It seems reasonable to me that such customization should be available for this new software. Perhaps it is a thing which must be requested of the company which created the software.

I believe the newest-first ordering is the default because software companies have learned over many years that that is the general preference. Most people do not want to have to scroll past dozens of posts which they have read to find one or two new posts at the bottom of the page.

Most people do not want to have to scroll past dozens of posts which they have read to find one or two new posts at the bottom of the page.

Well-configured forums have a feature that allows you to go to the first unread post. (Of course, you'd need to be logged in and have cookies enabled to do this.)

If this were a well-configured forum, you'd be able to click on the circle or star next to the title of the thread, and go to the first unread post.

If this were a well-configured forum, you'd be able to click on the circle or star next to the title of the thread, and go to the first unread post.

I believe that it is standard to allow users to customize whether they see posts within a thread in ascending order or descending order. It surprises me that it is not currently available on this software. 

Perhaps it is a module or library or other software thingy that can be added. Perhaps you can abide the inconvenience until the mad-scramble of ensuring all are properly re-registered and other glitches of the change of life here at the TCM forums and then request they investigate whether this feature can be added.

• Like 1

I believe that it is standard to allow users to customize whether they see posts within a thread in ascending order or descending order. It surprises me that it is not currently available on this software. 

In the thread index, threads with multiple pages have numbers listing the pages, and at the far right of those numbers is a right-pointing arrow. Click on that arrow and it will take you to the first post in that thread.

I believe the newest-first ordering is the default because software companies have learned over many years that that is the general preference.

IMDb, Free Republic, Democratic Underground, FlyerTalk (1.3 million threads), Digital Spy (1.7 million threads), City Data (1.7 million threads), Bodybuilding.com (5.7 million threads) are all oldest-post first.

Perhaps you can abide the inconvenience until the mad-scramble of ensuring all are properly re-registered and other glitches of the change of life here at the TCM forums and then request they investigate whether this feature can be added.

Sans,

Thank you for that!

According to a post in the Tech forum by TCMWebAdmin (I am experiencing Deja Vu posting this, I thought I posted this earlier in this thread), they are aware of the situation and have said they are investigating what can be done about it.

I know instant satisfaction is popular these days, but whatever happened to a little patience?
  • Like 1

IMDb, Free Republic, Democratic Underground, FlyerTalk (1.3 million threads), Digital Spy (1.7 million threads), City Data (1.7 million threads), Bodybuilding.com (5.7 million threads) are all oldest-post first.

I thank you for posting those examples! The default for 20th Century-era software was oldest-first. Those forums at which I have looked have updated to allow customization to allow users to have newest-first presentation. Such aspects of the software evolve to meet consumer demand.  

I believe the default for the software at this site was oldest-first also but it could be customized by users. 

I may be alone in this but I am very, very happy that bedraggled and much-patched software is gone! 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings