Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Spotlight: Fan Programmers

HoldenIsHere

I'm really looking forward to the movies chosen by by the Fan Programmers for the five-day TCM Spotlight this month.

They have all made some great selections.

The ones I'm especially excited about are:

SHOW PEOPLE

A WOMAN UNDER THE INFLUENCE

WENT THE DAY WELL?
NIGHTS OF CABIRIA

THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG

And, of course, you can't go wrong with these classics:

WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD

MODERN TIMES

• Like 1

Can't believe this is starting today.  It seems that the format may have changed - 4 Fan Programmers each night for 5 days - all this week.

I see that my favorite TV court bailiff, Petri Hawkins Byrd of Judge Judy, will be presenting  A Man Called Adam on Thursday, April 10.  I just happened to recognize his name.  Looking forward to seeing this for the first time.

(kinda missing the old 'genre' forums :( )

They are STILL there.

The first "TCM Message Boards" headline will take you to them. The 2nd "TCM Message Boards" headline will just show you the top 10 boards. The others are lurking below.

•  

I see that my favorite TV court bailiff, Petri Hawkins Byrd of Judge Judy, will be presenting  A Man Called Adam on Thursday, April 10. 

I always thought his name was Bert, but apparently Judge Judy was calling him "Byrd."

I used to watch the show all the time and I loved it when Judge Judy would exchange looks with him when she was flabbergasted by one of the litigants' statements.

Our own yanceycravat is the Fan Programmer introducing Went the Day Well?

Is that so? He did a fine job of setting it up. I recorded his intro and outro as my appreciation for the person who picked this film, one that I've long wanted to see. But there were some technical flubs and the film lost audio twice, but Ill keep the disc just for Yancey's participation. Good job there sir!

I really liked the fan programmer Whitney Matheson, who talked with Robert Osborne about A WOMAN UNDER THE INFLUENCE. And I love that movie.

The scene with the children clinging to their mother walking upstairs is so heartbreaking.

Wendy and I both seem to have a special fondness for American movies from the late 1960s and early 1970s.

BREWSTER MCCLOUD :)

When will TCM air that movie again?

That was a great movie!

I love to see average English people defending their homeland! Reminds me of us Americans, just as Yancey pointed out about the Passengers of Flight 93 on 9/11/01

Those were very powerful scenes of the lady who shot the spy, the lady who killed the Nazi with an axe, and the older lady who took the grenade away from the kids and she got blown up in the hallway. And those hero kids. I love hero kids like that.

A wonderful movie! :)

I am disappointed greatly with one aspect of the Fan Programmer theme.

The Fan Programmers are wonderful and Robert Osborne revels in their enthusiasm. All of that is quite fantastic and I thank TCM for bringing us this feature.

My disappointment is with the opening sequence of these sections. It shows some of the past Guest Programmers who are celebrities but it conspicuously omits one of the greatest. This Guest Programmer was so very wonderful that Robert Osborne choose him as the lead in his article: 20 Years of Robert Osborne - Robert Picks Great Moment from TCM's First 20 Years (Now Playing,  April 2014). Robert Osborne writes of him: "No Guest Programmer has made me laugh more or longer..." 

I do not know if his omission from the opening sequence is because he is of color or if it is because he is in the Order of Anura or if it is for other reasons.

My heart goes out to Kermit the Frog and I share his disappointment at his not being recognized as a significant Guest Programmer.

Although I liked what presenters I've seen. not too enthused about many of the choices. Too many of the "usual suspects" shown on TCM constantly. I'm glad its just a week.......

I believe that it is inevitable that the movies be: "usual suspects." 

The basis of popularity is the number of people from whom the movie is a favorite. This means that any person chosen at random is very likely to have a popular movie as a favorite. 

I believe there may be also a feedback factor. TCM is the primary source of classic movies for many people. Movies which TCM plays with some frequency are more likely to become a person's favorite.

I doubt that it will ever happen that a Guest Programmer or a Fan Programmer will ever begin their interview by stating: "This is actually my seventeenth-favorite movie but I selected it because TCM rarely airs it."

The basis of popularity is the number of people from whom the movie is a favorite. This means that any person chosen at random is very likely to have a popular movie as a favorite. 

I believe there may be also a feedback factor. TCM is the primary source of classic movies for many people. Movies which TCM plays with some frequency are more likely to become a person's favorite.

I doubt that it will ever happen that a Guest Programmer or a Fan Programmer will ever begin their interview by stating: "This is actually my seventeenth-favorite movie but I selected it because TCM rarely airs it."

Well, If I was ever a programmer (aint gonna happen) I would pick something I really liked and wasnt well known, rather than something most everyone has seen more than a few times.

• Like 1

I just watched this film and enjoyed it very much.  It kind of reminds me of the 1943 movie, "Edge of Darkness" with Errol Flynn about the Norway villagers defending their land from the Germans.

What always amazes me are the movies made in Europe DURING WW2 about WW2.  It's one thing to be making these movies on a movie set in Hollywood far from the battlefields, but for movie making to be happening while German buzz bombs are hitting & killing on their own soil..I'd like to see more movies like this..any other movies like this?  What struck me is that in the beginning of the film the narrator says, "...after the war and old Hitler got what was coming to him".  That was said 3 yrs before the end of the monster.  It was an optimistic statement that thankfully came true, but the worst of the horrors & millions of deaths were still to occur and probably so many never believed there would ever be victory.

As for the German occupation on British soil...that did in fact happen on the Guernsey Channel Island:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/topics/occupation_channel_islands

• Like 2

It's one thing to be making these movies on a movie set in Hollywood far from the battlefields, but for movie making to be happening while German buzz bombs are hitting & killing on their own soil..I'd like to see more movies like this..any other movies like this? 

The first movie which comes to my mind is: No Greater Love (1943). I do not know the specifics of the dates of its making but it was released in May, 1943. The last battle in the area depicted was in October of that year. 

There is a wide selection of movies which accurately depict people defending their homes during the war. I would suggest: 

The Young Guard (1948) 

U tvoyego poroga (1964)

I love it - Hannah Kass was doing a Robert Osborne impression. While he was talking during their intro to Young at Heart, she kept saying "Right, right..."

Sorry I missed Young at Heart. I hadnt seen that in a long time. :(

Sorry I missed Young at Heart. I hadnt seen that in a long time. :(

Sorry, folks - I need to veer off-topic for one post:

Hi Hibi - I replied to your pm this morning, but now that you pointed out that my name is somehow on your "blocked" list (lol), I don't know if you received my message.  Suddenly, the last pm conversation we had from yesterday doesn't show up on my list at all, and I can't get it back...  I think you'll need to "unblock" me on your end, because I don't have that option...  Thanks!  :)

I love it - Hannah Kass was doing a Robert Osborne impression. While he was talking during their intro to Young at Heart, she kept saying "Right, right..."

I didn't particularly care for this intro.  I love the film and was glad TCM showed a decent copy of it.  But I thought that Osborne sort of dominated the discussion here, which is uncharacteristic for him.  He seemed to want to keep interjecting (showing off?) some of his own knowledge about Nancy's radio show and about the fact that Marty (as opposed to Martin) Melcher co-produced this film-- items that a young fan probably wouldn't make a point of mentioning and that really did not add to the young person's interest in this classic film.  I think he should have let her talk more.  I wanted to know more about her page of top movies that she writes in pencil in case her favorites change-- why do they change, and why, if YOUNG AT HEART is no longer her favorite, why did she select it for this broadcast?  Osborne seemed to get in the way of this segment, instead of letting it lead in a more natural direction.  

I have to confess. I rarely watch any sort of intro. I tend to DVR the films from TCM, watch them at my leisure, skip past whatever intro, including Robert. If I'm watching the film "live," I still rarely pay attention to the intro.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings