Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How do people normally read?

clore

It seems like everything now has the site automatically navigating to the bottom of the page.

Every page view in the forum takes me to the bottom of the page. If I go to the TCM home page, I'm sent to the bottom, same for TCM Shop.

Don't we read from top-to-bottom? I know of no other web site, no other message board, where every hit takes me to the bottom of the page. It's really a pain to be given all this unnecessary navigational action every time I click a link around here.

It seems like everything now has the site automatically navigating to the bottom of the page.

Every page view in the forum takes me to the bottom of the page. If I go to the TCM home page, I'm sent to the bottom, same for TCM Shop.

Don't we read from top-to-bottom? I know of no other web site, no other message board, where every hit takes me to the bottom of the page. It's really a pain to be given all this unnecessary navigational action every time I click a link around here.

Simple way to fix this. See below.

At the top of the page of general Deiscussions you will see this color bar. Scroll over to the very right side and click on Custom. This opens another drop down menu where you can adjust the way you view items on the page. Hope this helps.

post-19682-0-12730500-1396716913_thumb.png

post-19682-0-99601600-1396717009_thumb.png

Clore,

What browser are you using?

I ask because what is happening with you shouldn't be and I am wondering why you are having this problem. For instance, I'm using Chrome and it takes me to the top of the page for forums, threads and to read posts. The only time it takes me to the bottom of the page is when I type a response to a post. But once the post goes through, it is at the top of the page and I can read it there without having to scroll up.

I've tried the options under "custom" - I'm still being brought to the bottom of the page with every click of the mouse.

It's not just the forums - the same happens if I go to the home page.

Clore, what do you mean?  Is it the same problem I'm having?  I had me set up so that when I click on a thread, the OP is the first post on the page.  To join in any discussion at the last post, I would have to click on the last page number( like, if a thread is 7 pages long, I'd click on the numer 7 to get to the most recent posts).  It is how a few other forums I visit are set up.  I got so used to it, it was easier for me, and not too hard to change to when I signed up here.  Now, even when I try to change it in the "custom" application, it changes until I click into another thread.

Is this what's troubling you, Bunky?

Sepiatone

Is this what's troubling you, Bunky?

Sepiatone

What I'm getting is that no matter what "custom" setting I use, every page click takes me to the bottom of the page so that I see

"2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users"

and everything else below that. No matter what option, I still have to scroll to the top of the page to read it. This happens every single time I click on a link here and it only started yesterday.

Clore, that is a lot different than what I'm going through.  And odd, too.  Another annoying occurance for me is when I click on the link for this site in my "favorites" list, I then have to point my cursor to the "community" drop-down menu and click "message boards" to get here.

THEN I have to click on "Start Date" to get to a current page, otherwise I'm looking at a list of threads that date back to 2009!  As much as I like all the features I'm now able to use in the "new, improved" site, it's the little things that might cause me to leave the forums, if they can't be worked out.

Sepiatone

Guest patfuls

Clore, that is a lot different than what I'm going through.  And odd, too.  Another annoying occurance for me is when I click on the link for this site in my "favorites" list, I then have to point my cursor to the "community" drop-down menu and click "message boards" to get here.

THEN I have to click on "Start Date" to get to a current page, otherwise I'm looking at a list of threads that date back to 2009!  As much as I like all the features I'm now able to use in the "new, improved" site, it's the little things that might cause me to leave the forums, if they can't be worked out.

Sepiatone

I'm using this link from my Bookmarks, and it seems to work fine: http://forums.tcm.com/

Edited by patfuls

I just use a dedicated browser tab for these boards and the others that I frequent. This way, when I shut down Firefox, it remembers my last configuration, so I don't need to do anything else in order to get here or my other most visited sites.

I just use a dedicated browser tab for these boards and the others that I frequent. This way, when I shut down Firefox, it remembers my last configuration, so I don't need to do anything else in order to get here or my other most visited sites.

I must wonder if that may be the root of the problem. It may be that: "open at bottom of page" became a persistent in the saved configuration. It should be that the configuration be changed with each use but odd bits can remain at strange times.

It may be worth the effort to delete the dedicated tabs and cookies and cache. I know that this is a pain but I keep in mind the old adage: "To err is human. To really screw things up takes a computer."

When you went in to the custom tab, did you click on "remember filters" and then click on "update filters"?

When you went in to the custom tab, did you click on "remember filters" and then click on "update filters"?

Yes I did. Maybe it's some other conflict with my browser that it took the upgrade to reveal. It does not happen if I sign out and just "visit," so I'm mulling the possibilities of it all. Thanks for your help though.

I'm having trouble with the filters.

I was looking at a post on the noir board and saw a reference to a 1956 film with Angela Lansbury and Raymond Burr. The film is "Please **** Me" but the mind boggles at the possibilities one may consider for the missing word.

Here's the link to the IMDb for the film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049621/combined