Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I must be watching an older film...

EugeniaH

1.  Jim Blandings is a successful advertising executive.  He makes $15,000 a year.

2.  Character X wants to make sure he doesn't miss an important call.  He carries the phone from one room to another... but the black cord only stretches so far.

3.  If you're sick, the doctor can make a house call.

4.  Men and women dressed up to go to the movies, or take a plane trip.

5. ...?

1.  Jim Blandings is a successful advertising executive.  He makes $15,000 a year.

2.  Character X wants to make sure he doesn't miss an important call.  He carries the phone from one room to another... but the black cord only stretches so far.

3.  If you're sick, the doctor can make a house call.

4.  Men and women dressed up to go to the movies, or take a plane trip.

5. .If the killer is convicted and he gets the chair { electric or gas ], he is usually executed in one or two months.

You can pay for lunch with the change in your pocket.

Steak is cheap enough to spare a portion to put on a black eye.

Your children dress up for dinner( girls in crisp dresses, boys with jackets and ties) and ASK permission to leave the table!

If you're Edward G. Robinson, you mow the lawn wearing a tie and vest.

All men seem to carry handkerchiefs, and freely give them to crying ladies.

Ladies actually faint .

Kids say things like, "gee", "golly" and "gosh".  And call other people "creeps".

You can hit the buttons on the phone cradle and say, "Operator, get me the police!" and actually GET the police!

And many of those cops are white haired old fogeys who are way past retirement age.

And speak with Irish brogues.

The radio needs no time to "warm up".

A man and wife can have seven kids and sleep in twin beds.

A man in a clean uniform and snappy cap runs out to cheerfully "fill 'er up".

A son calls his Father "sir".

A kid on a bicycle is delivering the newspaper.

There are men delivering bottles of milk to houses early in the morning.

a guy buys a cup of coffee for a dime.

There are little booths that have telephones in them, and you only have to pay a nickle to make a call.

The people on "the wrong side of the tracks" are dressed better than most people these days dress for church.

Everybody's house has a living room the size( or larger) of a two car garage.  With a piano.

Sepiatone

Women never went out without a nice hat on.

A fun afternoon for a teenager was sitting on a stool at a counter in a drug store having an ice cream soda with friends.

A man can call a woman a 'dame' without getting clobbered.

Women never went out without a nice hat on.

A fun afternoon for a teenager was sitting on a stool at a counter in a drug store having an ice cream soda with friends.

A man can call a woman a 'dame' without getting clobbered.

An older man calls his wife "mother".

When there is the beautiful look of Black-and-white on nitrate film.

Well last night we had a party (a wake really since it was for the husband of my wife's friend that just died),  and after everyone left except one family I turned the TV to the MOVIES station and they were showing Nightmare Alley (as part of Saturday noir night).   Their 6 year old girl who is very intelligent said 'hey,  this is in black and white'.    Her father said 'James,  this is the type of genre you really like right',  I said yes.   He was really interested in the film and wanted to learn more about 'classic' film noir.  

But the child just couldn't understand why a movie wouldn't be in color.   She did learn where the term geek came from.  Nothing like how it is used today (where geek and nerd are about the same).

Personally I prefer Black and White. Maybe that girl will appreciate it more some day.

Well I feel the same.  What is funny here,  is that I really wanted them to leave.  My wife, her mother and her gal friend keep talking and talking.   My wife's friend's husband sat down in our Den (TV watching area);  So,  bad me,  puts on an 'old movie' thinking this will make him want to leave!    Well instead he really likes it!   So it ended up being his wife saying to him; "hey it is getting late the kids need to go to bed,  how come your still sitting there!"   He say 'hey,  I'm really enjoying this movie'!.    So MAYBE I have helped someone discover that black and white movies are great.    The kid;  yea,  that will take a few more sessions.

• Like 1

You need a gas mask to get through the haze of cigarette smoke in a public place.

It's hard to find a movie made in the 1930s, 1940s or 1950s where the characters are not smoking.

Even in ALIEN, made in the late 1970s and set in the future, one of the characters was smoking on the spacecraft!

When we first got cable, back in the very early '80's, my younger daughter used to get up and join me in watching old Burns and Allen reruns on Nickelodeon.  They cracked her up.  To this day, even though she doesn't "seek out" black and white movies specifically, she doesn't reject old B&Ws out of hand as do many younger people.  Same with the older daughter( it doesn't seem fair to call them my "girls", as they are both in their 40's.), who learned to enjoy B&W film through a steady exposure to my Laurel and Hardy tapes.  Perhaps if that precocious little tyke saw a lot of THAT kind of B&W offerings, she might change her tune.

Back to the topic...

Dad is drinking beer out of a glass.  On a rare occaision.  And works on his car while still wearing a Fedora!

Sepiatone

When we first got cable, back in the very early '80's, my younger daughter used to get up and join me in watching old Burns and Allen reruns on Nickelodeon.  They cracked her up.  To this day, even though she doesn't "seek out" black and white movies specifically, she doesn't reject old B&Ws out of hand as do many younger people.  Same with the older daughter( it doesn't seem fair to call them my "girls", as they are both in their 40's.), who learned to enjoy B&W film through a steady exposure to my Laurel and Hardy tapes.  Perhaps if that precocious little tyke saw a lot of THAT kind of B&W offerings, she might change her tune.

Back to the topic...

Dad is drinking beer out of a glass.  On a rare occaision.  And works on his car while still wearing a Fedora!

Sepiatone

The reference to unintelligent or unsophisticated guys as "mugs".

People used a cigarette holder to look glamorous.  Men wore smoking jackets, and were often with pipes in their mouths (do a lot of men still smoke pipes these days?)

A major crisis in a woman's life was landing a man by a certain age.

In regard to the smoking:

I always thought people (oftentimes women) used the cigarette holders to not get the nicotine stains on their gloves?  Maybe I'm wrong about that.

I always love how in old movies people offer cigarettes to people as if they were offering a plate of hors d'oeuvres and everyone always took one.  Rarely does a character say: "Sorry, I don't smoke." 

I also love how people would pour themselves a drink and it was usually just a half to three-quarters full glass of straight scotch or something.  No mixers here, except for perhaps water or a quick shot of soda water. 

In old films, people always get quarts of milk delivered to the front door.  The milkman never knocks on the door, he just leaves the milk on the porch.  Presumably, the lady of the home is there; but what if it's milk for a bachelor? Or an unmarried, single career woman? Does the milk just sit outside all day and get warm? 

In regard to the smoking:

I always thought people (oftentimes women) used the cigarette holders to not get the nicotine stains on their gloves?  Maybe I'm wrong about that.

I always love how in old movies people offer cigarettes to people as if they were offering a plate of hors d'oeuvres and everyone always took one.  Rarely does a character say: "Sorry, I don't smoke." 

I also love how people would pour themselves a drink and it was usually just a half to three-quarters full glass of straight scotch or something.  No mixers here, except for perhaps water or a quick shot of soda water. 

In old films, people always get quarts of milk delivered to the front door.  The milkman never knocks on the door, he just leaves the milk on the porch.  Presumably, the lady of the home is there; but what if it's milk for a bachelor? Or an unmarried, single career woman? Does the milk just sit outside all day and get warm? 

That's true, it could be to avoid the nicottine stains.  I didn't think about that...  And you're right, no one ever refused an offered cigarette in the movies, or even, "I only smoke Camels."  And everyone had a bar set up in their living rooms.

Growing up in the 1970s/1980s, my family still had milk delivered.  We had a milk box outside our back door.  In the winter if we left it out there too long it would freeze up. ;)

These days it's BEER that's offered freely.  I often get a can of beer pushed in my face whenever I go to somebody's house, and then get a look of shock and insult when I say, "No thanks.  I don't drink".

Sepiatone

That's true, it could be to avoid the nicottine stains.  I didn't think about that...  And you're right, no one ever refused an offered cigarette in the movies, or even, "I only smoke Camels."  And everyone had a bar set up in their living rooms.

Growing up in the 1970s/1980s, my family still had milk delivered.  We had a milk box outside our back door.  In the winter if we left it out there too long it would freeze up. ;)

If someone offers you a cigarette, it's rude not to take it and smoke it. Even if it means getting hooked.

I see that we most likely won WW II because our soldiers were given cigarettes in the field by the military. The Japs and Nazis didn't seem to have any cigarettes.

And notice when any Nazi or European is offered a cigarette by an American soldier or spy, the foreigner always says, "Ah, an AMERICAN cigarette, thanks!!"

I see that we most likely won WW II because our soldiers were given cigarettes in the field by the military. The Japs and Nazis didn't seem to have any cigarettes.

And notice when any Nazi or European is offered a cigarette by an American soldier or spy, the foreigner always says, "Ah, an AMERICAN cigarette, thanks!!"

You never saw the ad that stated, "Luckies make you the baddest guy on your block"?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings