Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question about embedding videos

HoldenIsHere

Can anyone provide some insight on how to embed videos on posts?

I see that on many of my older posts where I posted links the links were converted to embedded videos when the posts were moved to the new version of the message boards.

I've tried to post the code that YouTube provides when the Embed option is selected, but it is not working ----the text of the code appears rather than an embedded video.

I also tried posting links thinking that perhaps the new boards would convert them to embedded videos the way that links from the older posts where converted . . . but this is not working either.

Fred, do you have any suggestions?

Can anyone provide some insight on how to embed videos on posts?

I see that on many of my older posts where I posted links the links were converted to embedded videos when the posts were moved to the new version of the message boards.

I've tried to post the code that YouTube provides when the Embed option is selected, but it is not working ----the text of the code appears rather than an embedded video.

I also tried posting links thinking that perhaps the new boards would convert them to embedded videos the way that links from the older posts where converted . . . but this is not working either.

Fred, do you have any suggestions?

Holden,

It's easier than it may sound:

Open a reply window and paste the URL from youtube or vimeo into the box.

Looking at the Reply window, you will see two levels of icons.

On the top level, third in from the left is a square with green highlights on it.

If you hover over it, it says Special BBCode.

Click on that icon and choose media.

You should see your bracketed URL in that window as well as the Reply window.

Click Post and your reply with the video should appear.

The way it's worked for me is to simply paste the url of the video

That's what I thought would work since my posts from the older board with pasted URLs were showing up as embedded videos on the new boards. 

So . . . let me try again.

I've pasted a URL below:

Does anyone see an embedded video  . . . or only a link?

In your REPLY box, under the smiley face and a little to the left, is a blue-green square. Put your mouse arrow over that and it says IMAGE. Click on it and it says URL. Put your photo URL address in there and that will post the photo.

Last night I had a devil of a time posting YouTube Videos in Favorites. In one post I added three URLs and only the first two took. The third only showed as an underlined link. I tried every combination and nothing worked.

This morning, I re-posted the exact same URL and it took like a German Shepherd's snout to a stranger's inseam at the front door. Perfectly posted, I must say. I chalked it up to behind the scenes operations.

Shortly after, the whole Message Board site seemed to lock up - redirecting to a large white page saying "Ooops! Did you mean..".

Well, I came here to make sure I was doing it correctly.. I was - so it was a temporary glitch.

Kid,

I think that as the internet expands and new types of computers are invented and more software is invented, more incompatibility creeps into everyone’s systems. It must be very difficult now for any message board program to be made that is totally compatible with every operating system (old and new) and every new browser and every new media player.

But in general, I'm very pleased with this new message board and how fast the techs at TCM got it up and going, with all the stuff successfully brought over from the old board.

Kid,

I think that as the internet expands and new types of computers are invented and more software is invented, more incompatibility creeps into everyone’s systems. It must be very difficult now for any message board program to be made that is totally compatible with every operating system (old and new) and every new browser and every new media player.

But in general, I'm very pleased with this new message board and how fast the techs at TCM got it up and going, with all the stuff successfully brought over from the old board.

Hi Fred,

This is the current state. These message board systems are fully compatible with our home/office "basic" systems but many of the 3rd+ party applications (anti-virus, malware, non-IE browsers, etc..) add stumbling blocks which can often impede their smooth and proper operation. These can modify the standard security settings (e.g., turning off MS firewalls in favor of their own) which can (sometimes) lead to the effective shutting down of your browser(s). Kind of like autoimmunity.

On a happier note.. I, also, am very pleased with our new Message Boards.

I am enjoying this very much. We need to work on metz  ;)

I guess I'm lucky. All I do is click on the little top button on the left and

right click my mouse and paste, preview and add reply.

I'm using Internet Explorer 8 with a Samsung with  Windows  8 and

AT&T as the internet provider.

Only drawback I have is I have to use my desktop version instead of

the Windows 8 apps. Can't use 'em here. They don't work.

Hope they get that rectified.

PS: don't overlook how your compatibility view setting is set up. That

can sometimes help, too. Under tools as a dropdown.  

Hi Jake,

I just tried your method but it doesn't work for me. I'm using IE 8 on Windows XP.

However, some of the old films I posted the links to on the old version of the board, turned up here as embeds as soon as this new board was ready to view.

I like the variety of older films we are seeing in my YouTube thread. They give something for every one, and people can scan backwards to find several film listings on each page. :)

Fred

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings