Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
flashback42

STILL TRYING TO FIND MY WAY AROUND...

1.  Does the PM board still exist?  If so, how does one get onto it?

2.  Does "Watch this thread" still exist, If so, how does one activate it?  Also, does it communicate with the user's Email site?

2.  Does "Watch this thread" still exist, If so, how does one activate it?  Also, does it communicate with the user's Email site?

I just sent you a PM which tells you how to PM.  If you reply to my message that should indicate that this was helpful to you.

I'm still reseaching how to watch this thread.

flashback,

At the top of the page, to the left of your name are two icons. The farthest to the left is your PM box. Unfortunately in the migration, posters previous PMs were not included. But you can click on the envelope icon to start sending PMs.

Between the Envelope icon and your name is the Notification icon. Clicking on that allows you to access both your PM box and any Instant messages that have been sent to you.

post-8025-0-74278500-1396815403_thumb.jpg

As for the second question, at the top of each forum and each topic is a box that says "Follow this Forum" or "Follow this Topic" and you click on those to follow a forum or individual topics within a forum.

post-8025-0-44749800-1396815431_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps!

post-8025-0-74278500-1396815403_thumb.jpg

post-8025-0-44749800-1396815431_thumb.jpg

Edited by lzcutter
for clarification

Actually, isn't the notifications icon between the "messenger"(envelope icon)  and the "your profile" click?

Actually, isn't the Notifications Icon between the "Messenger"(envelope icon)  and the "Your Profile" click?

Thanks for catching that, I'll amend my post!

Thanks for catching that, I'll amend my post!

No worries, lzcutter, you're doing a great job helping folks out. 

Izcutter and jamesjazz,

Call me computer semiliterate; I got part of it.  "Follow this topic" was easy to locate; found that. But

"Top of the page, to the left of your name"  Does that mean the Thread page, or the page we use (like this one) that has the settings symbols, etc.  I ask this because my name is not there -- just a blank outline of an upper bust.  Is that the one meant.

BTW... The experimental PM sent to me did land on my Email page.

Still trying... :)   Thanks.

Izcutter and jamesjazz,

Call me computer semiliterate; I got part of it.  "Follow this topic" was easy to locate; found that. But

"Top of the page, to the left of your name"  Does that mean the Thread page, or the page we use (like this one) that has the settings symbols, etc.  I ask this because my name is not there -- just a blank outline of an upper bust.  Is that the one meant.

BTW... The experimental PM sent to me did land on my Email page.

Still trying... :)   Thanks.

Flashaback,

Glad you got the PM thing worked out.

At the very top of the page (doesn't matter if you are in a forum or on the main forum page), up past the thread, Flashaback,

Glad you got the PM thing worked out.

At the very top of the page (doesn't matter if you are in a forum or on the main forum page), up past the thread, up past the TCM Cityscape, up past the TCM banner for the rest of the site in the upper right hand corner you should see this:

post-8025-0-44146700-1396883995_thumb.jpg

Instead of Lzcutter it should say flasback42.

To the  left of you name should be an Open Envelope icon which you click on for your PM box.

To the right of the Envelope is another icon- That is your notification center. When ever you receive an Instant Message or someone "likes" one of your posts or someone "friends" you, there will be a red block over this icon with a number indicating the number of notifications you have waiting to be read.

When you receive PMs, a red block will appear over the Envelope with a number indicating the number of PMs you have waiting to be read.

Hope that helps!

post-8025-0-44146700-1396883995_thumb.jpg

I am sorry to say that you will have to click on that image to see it the proper size. I do not know why all attached images appear as thumbnails.

I am sorry to say that you will have to click on that image to see it the proper size. I do not know why all attached images appear as thumbnails.

post-31314-0-35910300-1396884024.jpg

Feeling better, making progress.  Have another question.

There's probably a site for this, but I can't even figure out how to phrase the question to track it down:  How does one get a photo to post as an avatar by one's name?  I'm pretty sure that some of the selections are copyrighted and can not be used.  How to identify these?  Once located, what is the procedure for posting them on your personal site???

Flash,

You must be signed in to view thumbnails and some pics/videos, otherwise all you will see is a little icon and maybe a URL with it.

Feeling better, making progress.  Have another question.

There's probably a site for this, but I can't even figure out how to phrase the question to track it down:  How does one get a photo to post as an avatar by one's name?  I'm pretty sure that some of the selections are copyrighted and can not be used.  How to identify these?  Once located, what is the procedure for posting them on your personal site???

Where would you like to procure a picture of your liking? Google (or whatever) image search..? From your My Picture (or Picture) folder..? From your Paint program..?

I am signed in, and I see a variety of avatars on others' posts. There are photos of recognizable actors (Steve McQueen in sailor togs for "JakeHolman", etc).  But how do you find out which can be used.  If you can use McQueen, can you also use, say, Foghorn Leghorn, or Doonesbury from the funnypapers? 

And, finally, where to go for instructions on how to make the transfer, once a permitted image has been found?

I am signed in, and I see a variety of avatars on others' posts. There are photos of recognizable actors (Steve McQueen in sailor togs for "JakeHolman", etc).  But how do you find out which can be used.  If you can use McQueen, can you also use, say, Foghorn Leghorn, or Doonesbury from the funnypapers? 

And, finally, where to go for instructions on how to make the transfer, once a permitted image has been found?

CLICK ON YOUR BOARD NAME, UP IN THE FAR UPPER RIGHT OF THIS PAGE. THAT WILL LEAD YOU TO YOUR PROFILE PAGES AND OTHER PAGES FOR YOUR OWN SETTINGS.

Go to your PROFILE page. You might need to click on EDIT MY PROFILE and click on MY SETTINGS, then find the page that says GENERAL ACCOUNT SETTINGS..

Then go to PHOTO and click on CHANGE MY PHOTO. Post a URL there for an Avatar. I think it needs to be a small picture.

Go to the MEMBER TITLE section and post a small name, title, or quote. That will changed Advanced Member to whatever you want.

Go to PROFILE INFORMATION and LOCATION, and post a town, state, country, or a fantasy place.

I don't understand. You mean certain images are not premitted? Rights issues?

You do know that a photo can be owned and therefore one needs to get permission before they use it.   

Now I assume 'old' photos of studio-era stars are part of the public domain,  but recent photos may not be.  

How about a nice Alec Guinness Avatar for you, finance? :)

3483dqh.gif

You do know that a photo can be owned and therefore one needs to get permission before they use it.   

Now I assume 'old' photos of studio-era stars are part of the public domain,  but recent photos may not be.  BB's such as ours

BB's such as these Forums are fairly safe places to reposit such images. Anything you can copy from a browser search is usually a safe bet to post here, mostly because no monies are generated from their usage. Collectors and large galleries have their own software to nearly completely block the copying of their images so, in effect, the rest are available for Forum usage here.

Okay, that gives me something to work with.  My reason for asking about that point was past experiences with observations on the "Photo captioning fun"  thread.  Sometimes such photos were posted and within hours were removed, with nothing but a red X left in that spot.  Sometimes a notation about the entity that had caused the deletion.  That was what I want to avoid.

Gonna make some efforts now.

Okay, that gives me something to work with.  My reason for asking about that point was past experiences with observations on the "Photo captioning fun"  thread.  Sometimes such photos were posted and within hours were removed, with nothing but a red X left in that spot.  Sometimes a notation about the entity that had caused the deletion.  That was what I want to avoid.

Sometimes a website does not want anyone to link a photo from their website.

Sometimes a photo is copyrighted.

Sometimes someone is trying to sell copies of their photos.

If you put some of the board names of our board members into the GOOGLE IMAGES search feature, you will find that GOOGLE has been stealing our personal photos.

Now I assume 'old' photos of studio-era stars are part of the public domain,  but recent photos may not be.  

Thanks for the warning. I was going to use a photo of Justin Bieber, but I guess I'll have to settle for one of Fatty Arbuckle.

Now sometimes this stems from a different situation. Depends on what URL you use.

If you stumble on a pic and copy it's URL right there and post it here there is a chance it may disappear down the road sometime because that URL is attached to the website you got it from. Websites are notorious for rearranging their material which may include the removal of images in their normal housekeeping procedures. Then the link to your posted photo goes with it and all we'll see is a red-X or that green thing.

A more stable approach is to copy their URL and go to TinyPic (or some other photo hosting site) and upload it. TinyPic will assign it a new URL for their site, where it will be available indefinitely to be referred back to via the image you post here.

Whew..! Did I lose ya.. Almost did me :P