Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do not prempt already scheduled movies for Mickey Rooney

ElCid

Hope that TCM will not preemmpt movies already scheduled in the Now Playing guides in order to honor Mickey Rooney.   Select a date in the future so that it can be listed in Now Playing and people will know it is coming.

• Like 1

Hope that TCM will not preemmpt movies already scheduled in the Now Playing guides in order to honor Mickey Rooney.   Select a date in the future so that it can be listed in Now Playing and people will know it is coming.

If anyone deserves to have movies pre-empted.it's Rooney.r

• Like 1

Yes, TCM always gets flak about these memorial tributes-- gripes about bumping scheduled movies, or gripes because the tributes do not happen quickly enough.

In this case, people will complain because his movies are already in frequent rotation and it will likely pre-empt something that does not air so often.

Personally, I would be happy with a full day marathon of the Hardy movies.  They're cheesy but they are influential.  He will always be remembered as irrepressible teenager Andy Hardy.

TopBilled, full agreement. Mickey was one of the all time greats and I never tire of Andy Hardy and his adventures. I would like though, if any tribute time were done on a Sat or Sunday so that many can watch live and also record. But that's a small preference on my part. I will accommodate Mickey.

TopBilled, full agreement. Mickey was one of the all time greats and I never tire of Andy Hardy and his adventures. I would like though, if any tribute time were done on a Sat or Sunday so that many can watch live and also record. But that's a small preference on my part. I will accommodate Mickey.

My guess is that it will occur on Sunday the 13th, since the two BOYS TOWN films were already scheduled. This won't disrupt the Fan Programmers week which gets underway tonight, and it won't interfere with the TCM 20th Anniversary celebration on Monday the 14th.  

I would bet that one or two Andy Hardy movies will be added in, plus they will screen A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM, since Mickey was the definitive Pu-ck.  And the rest will be MGM studio filler-- probably his musicals with Judy and maybe THE HUMAN COMEDY.  

If there is an announcement later today, I will post the link or copy and paste the revised schedule here in this thread...stay tuned!

I think The Cid has a valid point;  TCM shouldn't prempt programming because any star dies.   Just schedule a tribute in the future.    Anyway as time marches on any disagreements related to these tributes will die off since the remaining studio-era stars will have done so also.

There are only a handfull of stars left that had a studio era film legecy worth a tribute. 

• Like 1

It has, indeed, been scheduled for Sunday the 13th (all day):

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/movie-news.html?id=971487&name=April-Schedule-Change-for-Mickey-Rooney-Tribute

Here is the new schedule line-up:

6:00 AM Broadway to Hollywood 
7:30 AM The Devil is a Sissy 
9:15 AM A Family Affair
10:30 AM You're Only Young Once
12:00 PM Captains Courageous 
2:00 PM The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
3:45 PM The Human Comedy
6:00 PM Killer McCoy
8:00 PM Boys Town
10:00 PM Men of Boys Town
12:00 AM National Velvet
2:15 AM Babes on Broadway 
4:30 AM A Midsummer Night's Dream

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/movie-news.html?id=971487&name=April-Schedule-Change-for-Mickey-Rooney-Tribute

TCM has also announced that they will have a tribute to Mickey at the Film Festival on Sunday.

• Like 1

Good, lz-- so glad to hear they will be honoring him at the festival.  

These are the films that have been bumped:

BOMBSHELL (1933)

SHE'S BACK ON BROADWAY (1953)

I LOVE MELVIN (1953)

GIRL HAPPY (1965)

EAST OF EDEN (1955)

INSIDE DAISY CLOVER (1965)

SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS (1941)

THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (1929)

GENOCIDE (1969)

X FROM OUTER SPACE (1967)

MILDRED PIERCE (1945)

As discussed previously, BOYS TOWN and MEN OF BOYS TOWN had already been planned for the evening spotlight, so those two titles remain on the schedule for April 13th.

Good, lz-- so glad to hear they will be honoring him at the festival.  

These are the films that have been bumped:

BOMBSHELL (1933)

SHE'S BACK ON BROADWAY (1953)

I LOVE MELVIN (1953)

GIRL HAPPY (1965)

EAST OF EDEN (1955)

INSIDE DAISY CLOVER (1965)

SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS (1941)

THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (1929)

GENOCIDE (1969)

X FROM OUTER SPACE (1967)

MILDRED PIERCE (1945)

As discussed previously, BOYS TOWN and MEN OF BOYS TOWN had already been planned for the evening spotlight, so those two titles remain on the schedule for April 13th.

Well, I won't be using my recorder for the three movies I planned to record and watch later.

That's a very nice tribute to Mickey -- the first two Hardy movies, some of his best non-Hardy MGM movies, and even his turn at Shakespeare, for which he was justly praised.  (It might have been nice to include a movie or two from outside his core MGM years, just to show the length and breadth of his career, but the MGM films are really his best work.)

It's great, too, that TCM was able to schedule the tribute so quickly.  He's just about the only true star from that far back who was still with us, so his tribute really needed to be a priority.

RIP Mr. Rooney -- you really made a contribution to this world.

Edited by BingFan
  • Like 1

Well, I won't be using my recorder for the three movies I planned to record and watch later.

There are a few good movies getting bumped, and one great one (Bombshell), but overall this a great day to pay the obligatory tribute.   I only wish that all such pre-emptive tributes to overrated and overplayed actors were as non-disruptive as this one.

I just hope the intros and outros for Boys Town and Men of Boys Town will not focus solely on Mickey Rooney.

I have been trying to catch these two movies back to back for years, with intros and outros dedicated to these two movies as a unified theme unto themselves.  I believe the last, maybe the last two, times these movies were scheduled back to back, they got pre-empted for something as well.  This may be the third time.

Because this is what I believe is the third time an opportunity to have a discussion of these two movies as unified theme unto themselves is being pre-empted, it's pretty disruptive to me.

Robbie

Just me personally --- I think Mickey Rooney was as great of a film actor as any actor or actress in history. I also think comedic acting is highly underrated. It has never gotten its proper due by the academy. Comedy is difficult but stars like Mickey Rooney, Jack Lemmon, Steve Martin, John Candy and a few others are superb at their craft. I am not referring to the inane banter of the past 25 years or so. I just think Mickey Rooney was so natural at expressing himself in the way the audience would want to see it. God bless you Mickey.

• Like 1

Just me personally --- I think Mickey Rooney was as great of a film actor as any actor or actress in history. I also think comedic acting is highly underrated. It has never gotten its proper due by the academy. Comedy is difficult but stars like Mickey Rooney, Jack Lemmon, Steve Martin, John Candy and a few others are superb at their craft. I am not referring to the inane banter of the past 25 years or so. I just think Mickey Rooney was so natural at expressing himself in the way the audience would want to see it. God bless you Mickey.

Nice sentiments...and welcome to our posting community!

the intros and outros for Boys Town and Men of Boys Town 

This is an interesting subtopic-- because I am sure that the wraparounds were already filmed, before Mickey Rooney passed away.  However, these two titles remain on the schedule.  So I am wondering if they will keep what they had, or if Robert Osborne will re-film those segments to put it into the proper perspective now that Rooney is deceased.  My guess is that they did scrap the previous material and are re-filming it.  We will see...

TB, I kinda doubt they will shoot new intros, the time frame is too short, but we'll see. You were spot on in predicting the date. I'm fine with preempting for Mickey. If anyone deserves it, he does, and I'm not even an Andy Hardy fan. But, I do wish they were showing one of his noirs.

TB, I kinda doubt they will shoot new intros, the time frame is too short, but we'll see. 

Unless they film some of Robert O's wraparounds from the Film Fest. They are planning a tribute to Mickey on Sunday at the Fest and they do taping from there, so maybe they will film some new intros.

Just a thought.

I wasnt a fan, but I dont begrudge him an all day tribute. I'm glad there wasnt anything on Sunday I wanted to watch. It's amazing he outlived his frequent co-star Judy Garland by 45 years!

Unless they film some of Robert O's wraparounds from the Film Fest. They are planning a tribute to Mickey on Sunday at the Fest and they do taping from there, so maybe they will film some new intros.

Just a thought.

Are they going to re-shuffle the schedule at the Festival to make time for a significant Rooney tibute?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings