Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MY FAVORITE MUSIC

MultiEye

Watching Jimmy Page's delight (and air guitar!) for Rumble (and a bit of other music after) is priceless.

Nice, good taste in music right there. We certainly do get along well in the music & movie world. Glad to have you as a friend on the TCM board :)

The 90s - This is my last contemporary guitar music post. I just don't know of any more recent guitar music that I'm that familiar with.  So, I've selected  You and Your Friend by Dire Straits. The lyrics and lyrical melody is rather repetitive, but its a demo recording for my audio system with the soulful work of Mark Knopfler on the right and the acoustic guitar on the left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNXncglnsZg

Nice, good taste in music right there. We certainly do get along well in the music & movie world. Glad to have you as a friend on the TCM board :)

Thank you, MultiEye, that's really nice to hear. :) I feel the same, and always enjoy your videos, sometimes discovering a group I didn't know. This is a very special place.

Thank you, MultiEye, that's really nice to hear. :) I feel the same, and always enjoy your videos, sometimes discovering a group I didn't know. This is a very special place.

Indeed it is, & thank you for the positive comments & I really hope you & everyone else who checks this thread digs what I put on here. The purpose for this thread is to spread the "Good Word" that is the music I want others to check out & appreciate the good stuff & not the crap they got on the radio today. I'm a young buck & I can't stand my generations "POPULAR" music & by popular I mean the stuff they throw in your face to make their $$$ & get rich. Think of all the different ways a musician can market themselves today compared to the 70's/80's or whatever before where there was no advanced technology like today. Rediculous the amount of technological advances we got. The can sell the same product 5-6 different ways. Look at what they got now DVD, Blu-Ray, HD DVD, CD, Digital Music, Digital Movies, Vinyl, Special Edition, Ultimate Edition, Box Sets, Single Disc, Double Disc, Limited Editions, Collector Editions, the ****' **** is endless. It's sad the people who make sure they buy ALL the versions they put out. Before you know it half your life has passed to buy meaningless whatever. I try & buy stuff that I know I like & won't wanna sell you know. I like the fact there's more than one way to get your music & movies, but it's sad when every 2 years they re-release something with something they try & make you feel that you HAVE to get, but in reality it's just a marketing strategy for them to MAKE MORE MONEY!!!! lol But enough my ranting, thanks for checkin' the thread, there's plenty more where that came from ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'll choose vocal ballads for my next grouping of favorite music, and start off with one of the most recorded songs, the great Stardust -  Music by Hoagy Carmichael, lyrics by Mitchell Parish. I love its non-repetitive melody, very rare for a popular song written in the late 1920s. As for the difficult decision of which version to post, I'll go with an obvious and popular choice: The silky, smooth voice of Nat King Cole accompanied by the beautiful string arrangement by Nelson Riddle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjU6ZjrQulc

I think I'll choose vocal ballads for my next grouping of favorite music, and start off with one of the most recorded songs, the great Stardust -  Music by Hoagy Carmichael, lyrics by Mitchell Parish. I love its non-repetitive melody, very rare for a popular song written in the late 1920s. As for the difficult decision of which version to post, I'll go with an obvious and popular choice: The silky, smooth voice of Nat King Cole accompanied by the beautiful string arrangement by Nelson Riddle.

Stardust is a well written and complex song.   It isn't easy to play.   The harmony (chords) are also non-repetitive which makes soloing over the changes challenging.   But what a great song.   Carmichael was such a talent.    I love him in movies (e.g. Topper,  To Have and Have Not etc...).     To be back in the day when Hoagy would show up at house parties and jam.    Too bad he isn't more well known today.   Too many think his most famous song, Georgia,  was written by Ray Charles!  

Also,  if I was stuck on a desert island with only one musician \ singer it would be Nat.   (if only Ava Garner could sing and play piano as well as Nat!). 

Archived