Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

George Brent's Derry Air

Thank you, darling lav.  :)   I've been feeling verbose on the boards lately - I'm trying to get some posts in before my boss shows up to work...  I don't know that I have the energy to create another Stanwyck thread (though she certainly merits one) - it would have to have more contributors this time.

I wonder when Volume 2 of Victoria Wilson's book is coming out?  I tried reading the biography here and there again but I just keep getting hung up in the writing.  It's so badly edited.  I was a lot more generous with my review when it first came out but I think it was just the 'newness' of it.  I'd still like to see Volume 2 just to see if there's any interesting tidbits like behind the scenes on movie sets, but I hope there's a better editing job there...

Yes, I've been checking the schedule lately so I could contribute to the thread (I'm staying at a house that has TCM), but I haven't seen anything.  :(

Oh, your'e housesitting again! :D You just missed one a few wks ago called Honeymoon for Three! Made with George's soon to be spouse, Ann Sheridan (there were so many!) I cant comment on it though, as I recorded it and havent watched it yet!

Thank you, darling lav.  :)   I've been feeling verbose on the boards lately - I'm trying to get some posts in before my boss shows up to work...  I don't know that I have the energy to create another Stanwyck thread (though she certainly merits one) - it would have to have more contributors this time.

I wonder when Volume 2 of Victoria Wilson's book is coming out?  I tried reading the biography here and there again but I just keep getting hung up in the writing.  It's so badly edited.  I was a lot more generous with my review when it first came out but I think it was just the 'newness' of it.  I'd still like to see Volume 2 just to see if there's any interesting tidbits like behind the scenes on movie sets, but I hope there's a better editing job there...

I keep checking Amazon, but have seen no details yet. Maybe the coming publishing season?? Hopefully she's taken the criticism to heart and the second volume will be better edited (so funny since she is an editor herself!) I made it halfway through and still havent got back to it. Doubt will till the winter months as I'm too busy this time of year.............

Yep, catsitting.  And she has me hopping - I can watch TCM as long as she leaves me alone!   :)

LOL. At least there are some fringe benefits!

I keep checking Amazon, but have seen no details yet. Maybe the coming publishing season?? Hopefully she's taken the criticism to heart and the second volume will be better edited (so funny since she is an editor herself!) I made it halfway through and still havent got back to it. Doubt will till the winter months as I'm too busy this time of year.............

I saw My Reputation again recently (I haven't seen a Stanwyck film in quite a while, as difficult as some people would believe) - but I think it's one of her best films in terms of her acting.  Loved the very first scene that showed her with grief/depression written on her face, and the scene at her friend's house where she breaks down in tears.  Well done.  And George was okay, too (tying back in to George...)  ;)

So interesting that you mentioned Victoria Wilson's book. One of my kids ordered it for me and also the out of print Doris Day- Her Own Story bio. Really great gifts for me from my daughter since she knew how much I wanted those books. Haven't started the Stanwyck book, reading Doris' book first .Can't imagine getting thru the whole Stanwyck book, and yes looks like a whole of editing should have been done. The book must weigh at least 4 or 5 lbs! I hope it's better than Callahan's book ;)

I saw My Reputation again recently (I haven't seen a Stanwyck film in quite a while, as difficult as some people would believe) - but I think it's one of her best films in terms of her acting.  Loved the very first scene that showed her with grief/depression written on her face, and the scene at her friend's house where she breaks down in tears.  Well done.  And George was okay, too (tying back in to George...)  ;)

LOL. I didnt watch it this time around (on TCM a few wks ago) but its one of my favorite Stanwyck films. (and not because George is in it!) He gets in a few rear end shots too! :D

So interesting that you mentioned Victoria Wilson's book. One of my kids ordered it for me and also the out of print Doris Day- Her Own Story bio. Really great gifts for me from my daughter since she knew how much I wanted those books. Haven't started the Stanwyck book, reading Doris' book first .Can't imagine getting thru the whole Stanwyck book, and yes looks like a whole of editing should have been done. The book must weigh at least 4 or 5 lbs! I hope it's better than Callahan's book ;)

It's definitely better than the Callahan book!  I did find some interesting tidbits on Barbara and there is good stuff, but I also skimmed through a lot of it, the non-relevant parts that I already knew about, like Hollywood historical info.  I wish the writing drew me in more, though... I also wish there was more "behind the scenes" info on the early Stanwyck movies like "Ladies of Leisure" and "The Miracle Woman" and "Forbidden", etc. (I love these films and she did so well in them, imo)..

PS - nice you got this as a gift!  

LOL. I didnt watch it this time around (on TCM a few wks ago) but its one of my favorite Stanwyck films. (and not because George is in it!) He gets in a few rear end shots too! :D

It's one of Stanwyck's favorites too (which I know a lot of us know), and like Stella Dallas (which was another of her favorites) she really put her all into these roles.  It shows (for me). 

It's one of Stanwyck's favorites too (which I know a lot of us know), and like Stella Dallas (which was another of her favorites) she really put her all into these roles.  It shows (for me). 

YES. agree.

You just missed one a few wks ago called Honeymoon for Three! Made with George's soon to be spouse, Ann Sheridan 

"Honeymoon for Three" - does that mean George, Ann, and George's rear end?  

-Sorry, couldn't resist the opportunity.  Actually, I'm amazed it passed by DownGoesFrazier...  ;)

-Sorry, couldn't resist the opportunity.  Actually, I'm amazed it passed by DownGoesFrazier...  ;)

It did NOT pass me by. I just belatedly looked again at this thread, and when I saw "Honeymoon for Three" I immediately thought of the same line that you came up with. 

Thanks for liking my earlier post, mockingbird66. I point it out because I didn't think anyone read this thread besides the main people who posted on it. ;)

I clicked on it a while ago and wondered what it was really about. I found it to be pretty darn funny. Some of them made me laugh out loud. You all have a wonderful way with words and I see George in a new light. I also googled him in a bathing suit which definitely brought it to a new angle for me.

I clicked on it a while ago and wondered what it was really about. I found it to be pretty darn funny. Some of them made me laugh out loud. You all have a wonderful way with words and I see George in a new light. I also googled him in a bathing suit which definitely brought it to a new angle for me.

The original thread we had was called, "George Brent's Rear End".  It started with one joke and Hibi never expected it to take on a life of its own.  But the original post was so absurd that some of us followed up with jokes of our own, and the topic lasted for at least two years!

When the boards were upgraded that thread mysteriously "disappeared" (most likely some took offense), so Morris Steele started this thread, "George Brent's Derry Air" (a play on words because George is from Ireland).  I don't think this thread is as fresh and funny as the old thread, but we valiantly carry on...  As for George, we do have serious discussions of him sometimes.  Though he isn't my favorite actor, I liked him a lot in "The Rains Came".

For reference's sake, his best rear end movie is "The Purchase Price".  Lots of good shots, including one of him bent over scrubbing the kitchen floor, with just a 'rear view' covering the whole camera lens... 

Yes, it does move along pretty briskly at around 75 minutes, so

it doesn't take up a big chunk of one's time. I thought George

was pretty funny in the long scene at the Tomahawk Inn.

I finally caught up with this film over the wknd. I agree that scene was very funny. Overall it was ok. Nothing great. But it moved along quickly and was entertaining. Not much of a story, but amusing.

To coincide with yesterday's election in the UK, I post a previously

used limerick. Sinn Fein, which might be GB's party of choice, lost

one seat in Parliament and now has four. They have a policy of

not taking their seats in Westminster anyway.

Brenty boy took a trip to Great Britain,

With him all the London ladies were smitten,

Then they caught sight of his enormous hams,

Striding through England's green and pleasant lands,

And thus the end to Brentmania was written.

LOL. Takes me back a few years.................

LMREO!!!!!!!!!! Good way to put it!! I had a hard time figuring who the third one was in the film and there wasnt any real honeymoon. The title is misleading. Probably wanted to make it sound risque.........

It did NOT pass me by. I just belatedly looked again at this thread, and when I saw "Honeymoon for Three" I immediately thought of the same line that you came up with. 

Yeah, yeah............

The original thread we had was called, "George Brent's Rear End".  It started with one joke and Hibi never expected it to take on a life of its own.  But the original post was so absurd that some of us followed up with jokes of our own, and the topic lasted for at least two years!

When the boards were upgraded that thread mysteriously "disappeared" (most likely some took offense), so Morris Steele started this thread, "George Brent's Derry Air" (a play on words because George is from Ireland).  I don't think this thread is as fresh and funny as the old thread, but we valiantly carry on...  As for George, we do have serious discussions of him sometimes.  Though he isn't my favorite actor, I liked him a lot in "The Rains Came".

For reference's sake, his best rear end movie is "The Purchase Price".  Lots of good shots, including one of him bent over scrubbing the kitchen floor, with just a 'rear view' covering the whole camera lens... 

Yes, the thread was not carried over from the old boards (never got an explanation as to why) Very Sad. Lots of poetry (and pictures) lost!

Agree about The Purchase Price! Many shots of George's keister! One sequence the camera lingers so lovingly on it makes you wonder about the director! LOL.