Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

George Brent's Derry Air

MorrisSteele

Hey Hibi - Did you enjoy the George Brent Q&A with Scott O'Brien over on Silver Screen Oasis this past weekend?  I checked in yesterday but I'm trying to catch up this morning quickly before I have to get ready for work...

Yes! I wasnt able to read it all till today. Sorry to take so long to get back with you. I've been off the boards for a week or so. I did post some questions!

George's legend.... er.... "follows" him.

(Hope you had a nice time 'away'!) :)

That's for sure! (LOL). Not really. I didnt go anywhere. It was a working "vacation"............

I'll post any interesting tidbits on George once i buy and start reading the book! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Very few booty shots of Georgie in In This Our Life and he was

usually wearing a suit jacket, so hard to tell. I must say from the

profile shots he did look pretty slim and trim. Bette was so over

the top I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, so I did neither.

Two reviews so far on Amazon for the book, both five stars.

Off to a good start.

Very few booty shots of Georgie in In This Our Life and he was

usually wearing a suit jacket, so hard to tell. I must say from the

profile shots he did look pretty slim and trim. Bette was so over

the top I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, so I did neither.

Two reviews so far on Amazon for the book, both five stars.

Off to a good start.

LOL. I was so ticked. I didnt realize it was on till it was half over. One of my fav. bad movies. Up there with Beyond the Forest in Bette's pantheon. George overdid the hair dye in this one. Looked like he had shoe polish on his hair! (Maybe it was!). Such a bad movie. I'd like to read the book to see it it's as bad. What was the theme that night?

Yeah, I saw the Amazon reviews..........

LOL. I was so ticked. I didnt realize it was on till it was half over. One of my fav. bad movies. Up there with Beyond the Forest in Bette's pantheon. George overdid the hair dye in this one. Looked like he had shoe polish on his hair! (Maybe it was!). Such a bad movie. I'd like to read the book to see it it's as bad. What was the theme that night?

I think Bette's scene with her dying uncle (Coburn) is one of her most memorable scenes.

Yeah, that scene is good. The whole movie is so over the top.

I mention in George's bio that James Baldwin said Davis' portrayal made her the "toast of Harlem" -- that she grasped the evils of white privilege as a racist southern belle.  In the 2009 documentary Queer Icon: The Cult of Bette Davis author Mathew Kennedy quipped that in In This Our Life Davis provided "the red meat for drag."  Personally, I thought the quiet underplaying of Hattie McDaniel and Ernest Anderson most effective.  George and Olivia also gave the film some semblence of reality.  Photoplay thought Davis' came across as "mentally ill" which came close to the mark. :wacko:

I mention in George's bio that James Baldwin said Davis' portrayal made her the "toast of Harlem" -- that she grasped the evils of white privilege as a racist southern belle.  In the 2009 documentary **** Icon: The Cult of Bette Davis author Mathew Kennedy quipped that in In This Our Life Davis provided "the red meat for drag."  Personally, I thought the quiet underplaying of Hattie McDaniel and Ernest Anderson most effective.  George and Olivia also gave the film some semblence of reality.  Photoplay thought Davis' came across as "mentally ill" which came close to the mark. :wacko:

LOL. Most definitely! I wish the black characters had been given more screen time. That part of the story made up for some of the over the top acting and plotting........

What got censored? I hate this censoring on the new boards........

I was going to mention that slick black hair George was sporting. Yikes. I was reminded of the

Raymond episode where he uses black shoe polish on his graying temples and his mother asks

him if it is shoe polish and he answers Only if you use it on shoes. I read that Bette used her own

wardrobe and hair styling ideas. Better stick to the acting.

What's interesting is that the picture is mostly an out there southern soap opera, but there is a

serious subplot about racial discrimination in the midst of all the craziness. Bette did frame Parry

for the hit and run, but she would have framed anybody, regardless of color.

I was going to mention that slick black hair George was sporting. Yikes. I was reminded of the

Raymond episode where he uses black shoe polish on his graying temples and his mother asks

him if it is shoe polish and he answers Only if you use it on shoes. I read that Bette used her own

What's interesting is that the picture is mostly an out there southern soap opera, but there is a

serious subplot about racial discrimination in the midst of all the craziness. Bette did frame Parry

But she realized that people would more readily believe her if she framed the black guy, rather than some white guy.

LMREO!! Yes, Bette really wore some ugly outfits in this. George's hair color just didnt look real to me (LOL over that hair polish remark!)

Yeah, the racial subplot was the only part of the movie that rang true (realistic)...........

Probably, but he was also the person who had the easiest

access to the car. Bette was an equal opportunity vixen.

Yes, true. But him being black was a plus. People would believe her over him (not necessarily those closest to her...)

Yes, true. But him being black was a plus. People would believe her over him (not necessarily those closest to her...)

True, it was a no brainer at that time and place to blame it on the black guy. And as I

already mentioned, in addition there was a plausibility to that story as he did have

easy access to her car.

Yeah some of Bette's outfits and hair styles were almost as out there as the whole story.

I've hadn't seen the movie in a while, so I got a kick out of it when it was on TCM.

True, it was a no brainer at that time and place to blame it on the black guy. And as I

already mentioned, in addition there was a plausibility to that story as he did have

easy access to her car.

Yeah some of Bette's outfits and hair styles were almost as out there as the whole story.

I've hadn't seen the movie in a while, so I got a kick out of it when it was on TCM.

Yeah, that one plaid outfit looked like a pattern for some drapes.............

I'll 2nd that Welcome Back. Stick around Genie :D we miss you

Thanks, guys!  I do scan the board every other day but I haven't found a good General Discussions thread to post to lately (for various reasons...).  Then I think of starting a thread, but I can't think of an original idea (and I don't want to be a board hog seeking attention)...  Hey Hibi, I'd been watching a lot of Andy Griffith on DVD but your Aunt Bee thread isn't active anymore, lol...

Back to George.  I'll need to check the bio out of the library so I can get with it and be in the loop!   :)

Thanks, guys!  I do scan the board every other day but I haven't found a good General Discussions thread to post to lately (for various reasons...).  Then I think of starting a thread, but I can't think of an original idea (and I don't want to be a board hog seeking attention)...  Hey Hibi, I'd been watching a lot of Andy Griffith on DVD but your Aunt Bee thread isn't active anymore, lol...

Back to George.  I'll need to check the bio out of the library so I can get with it and be in the loop!   :)

LOL. That's because I stopped watching Andy as they kept repeating the same old episodes. Now if they started on the color ones, I'd start posting again! I bought the George bio from Amazon (the paperback wasnt too expensive) Good luck finding a library copy. I've found that Bear Media books are hard to find in any library!!! I'll keep you posted on any interesting George tidbits. I havent started it yet as I'm finishing up something else. Maybe this wknd!