Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Swithin

"What Was Your Name in the States?" (i.e. on the old TCM board)

in How the West Was Won, Debbie Reynolds sang the old gold rush song, "What Was Your Name in the States?" 

For various reasons, several people seemed to have changed their names in the migration to this new board. Just because I like to know who's who, can you let us know what was your name on the old site, if you changed it?

I once had a problem logging in and had to change my name to Swithin1 for a short time. But I can't imagine ever wanting to be anyone else here.

patful, ydobon, smileys, patfuls, back to patful.

Edited by patful

I am happy to say that my username and statistics migrated sans incident. I am happy to say also that with lzcutter's inestimable aid my fiance was able to migrate properly.

The title of this thread intrigued me because the names I use most in United States are not my true name. I primarily utilize nicknames because my name in Latin letters leads people to mispronounce it horribly. I do not like also the way it looks in Latin letters. 

Swithin baby, I changed my user name here. My mother used to say "A change is as good as a rest." I guess that isn't particularly profound, but still, I just changed it for the sake of change.

I do have an "issue" with it though. I did not realize, when I baptized myself with my new user name (with a little help from a couple of the mods here), that I would lose the identity I had here before. That is, even the posts I wrote under my former user name, on the threads that "survived" the change, are now under my new name.

It's as though my old user identity never existed here. I hadn't really wanted that to happen! (I don't care about losing the post count, though.)

It's as though my old user identity never existed here. I hadn't really wanted that to happen! (I don't care about losing the post count, though.)

That was what worries me about some of our friends here. I can't imagine losing history, even something as amorphous as the history and identity related to what we post here. You had a very nice identity, I will miss it! Maybe because, in addition to the homage your former name paid to the film from whence it came, it contained the word "wonder," which is part of how we all feel about the movies. The new name is really too jokey for me!

The only thing that didn't migrate with me to the "new" site was my password, for some reason. 

And I might be slow, but what was Edith's name before?

Sepiatone

The only thing that didn't migrate with me to the "new" site was my password, for some reason. 

And I might be slow, but what was Edith's name before?

Sepiatone

Miss Wonderly

Miss Wonderly

Wow. She really backed up her statement that post totals meant nothing to her by doing this just to get back to zero posts. Or was there some other reason? Idolazation of Morris Steele?

Swithin baby, I changed my user name here. My mother used to say "A change is as good as a rest." I guess that isn't particularly profound, but still, I just changed it for the sake of change.

I do have an "issue" with it though. I did not realize, when I baptized myself with my new user name (with a little help from a couple of the mods here), that I would lose the identity I had here before. That is, even the posts I wrote under my former user name, on the threads that "survived" the change, are now under my new name.

After a while, you forget it's there.  I gave a moment's thought to a name change, then decided to skip it.  I would rather complain of all the passwords I have.  Many of those change too.  My old moniker seemed to be hacked, and the old address to refer was long gone, so here I am as if there were a dynasty of Casablancalovers. 

Well, you could have changed to Brigid O'Shaughnessy... ;)

• Like 2

I just replied to Edith, quoting her, and my post was placed as the oldest post!???

But, now that I added this post, my last post moved right under it! Go figure.

Edited by ValentineXavier

casablancalover wrote of her difficulty with changing passwords, and then said:

"so here I am as if there were a dynasty of Casablancalovers."

But I kind of like that idea. There can't be too many casablancalovers, especially if they're all like the original.   B) 

• Like 1

Well, you could have changed to Brigid O'Shaughnessy... ;)

Val, I thought of that after I'd already changed to EdithsHead. I kind of wish I'd done that. 

Glad to see you managed to find your way back from the limbo between board set-ups. 

Wow. She really backed up her statement that post totals meant nothing to her by doing this just to get back to zero posts. Or was there some other reason? Idolazation of Morris Steele?

fi, you've got it the other way around. I couldn't care less if I have 10,000 posts or 50 posts or 0 posts. I did not change my user name to "get back to zero posts". I just changed it because I thought it would be fun to have a new name. Now I'm not so sure, but what's done is done.

maryastor.png

Don't forget me.

fi, you've got it the other way around. I couldn't care less if I have 10,000 posts or 50 posts or 0 posts.

Ha! Bet there's a few here (won't name names) which are THRILLED there are now all sorts of "popularity" indicators like the hot button, "friend" lists & uber post counts.

I just never understood the appeal of being "popular" or "hot" in a virtual community.

MsHead, is your avatar Liz Taylor's flowered dress from A PLACE IN THE SUN?

Gosh, there is no more misswonderly? That'll take some getting used to. I always thought that was such a great name, an inspired choice, especially considering the origin (i.e. the movie from which it sprang and its fleeting reference therein). But of course, misswonderly is still here, that's the most important thing; she just has a different name now. If I can just keep that in mind, I'll be okay. No more misswonderly (sigh). :(

Gosh, there is no more misswonderly? That'll take some getting used to. I always thought that was such a great name, an inspired choice, especially considering the origin (i.e. the movie from which it sprang and its fleeting reference therein). But of course, misswonderly is still here, that's the most important thing; she just has a different name now. If I can just keep that in mind, I'll be okay. No more misswonderly (sigh). :(

If she has real second thoughts, she could return to her old name, and also advance the cause of political correctness, by calling herself MsWonderly.

She implied in a recent post that it was difficult to change back -- but it isn't. Just go to your profile, to settings, to change your display name. And hey presto -- Miss Wonderly will be back with us!

She implied in a recent post that it was difficult to change back -- but it isn't. Just go to your profile, to settings, to change your display name. And hey presto -- Miss Wonderly will be back with us!

That would be wonderly-ful.