Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Director John Sturges, with Randolph Scott, Ella Raines, William Bishop, Edgar Buchanan, Arthur Kennedy, John Ireland, and others in a good ensemble Western. 

Tailing a murder suspect, private detective Frazee (Ireland) follows the suspect into a poker game. When one of the players reveals he knows the location of a lost wagon train full of gold, everyone in the game is suddenly bound up in an expedition into the desert to find the treasure. 

I'd only heard about this film but never seen it, and I finally caught up with this on GetTV last night. It takes place in a border town in the late 30's or 40's it may even be contemporary with 1949, I didn't catch the first sequences to say for sure, it reminded me a bit of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre and a bit of the desert sequence from The Good the Bad and the Ugly.

The wagon train full of gold was lost in a sand dune area decades ago The dunes always change hence the name The Walking Hills. I missed the first 5 minutes or so but was intrigued from the poker game to the end even with the commercial breaks, from what I watched I'll initially give this a 7/10 it may go up. 

This is a little gem of a modern western {1949] . A good cast headed by Scott. Early Director Sturges before hitting the big time with "The Great Escape" and "Bad Day at Black Rock" among others. Based on a story and screenplay by Alan Le May who also gave us "The Seachers" and"The Unforgiven" Burt Lancaster not Clint Eastwood film. A favorite of mine...