Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

There's no one left...

Rick2400

...from Hollywood's Golden Age. The passing of Mickey Rooney has left a void that can no longer be filled.  Look at any Classic film from the '30s and '40s. The Gables, the Shearers, the Crawfords, the Garlands, Rutherfords, Stewarts, Grants....the list goes on and on. Mickey Rooney was the last of the "old set" from Old Hollywood, and now that last bastion of the era has departed. L. B. Mayer has now gotten all his old stars reunited in the Big Movie Lot in the Sky!

Godspeed, Mr. Rooney. Give my love to Judy, Norma, and Ann. And say Hi to Spencer! 

Rick

CORRECTION: There are but three (3) still with us...Joan Leslie, Gloria DeHaven and the legendary Olivia De Havilland. I must confess...a secret crush on Gloria in her early days. OMG was she something to look at!

Dickie Moore and Jane Powell live across the street from me (as I've said before).  Look at Dickie's credits -- starting in 1927! Imagine, he played Dietrich's child in Blonde Venus !

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0601129/

And Marsha Hunt, born in 1917, is still with us. She was one of the Bennett girls in Pride and Prejudice (1940).

• Like 1

Some other stars/personalities from that era who are still with us:

Zsa Zsa Gabor (though, I don't think she's in the best of health)

Margaret O'Brien

Eli Wallach

Maureen O'Hara

Lauren Bacall

Angela Lansbury

I apologize if any of these have already been mentioned.

• Like 1

Eli Wallach

Kirk Douglas

Maureen O'Hara

Nanette Fabray

Louis Jordan

Christopher Lee

Glynis Johns

Doris Day

Eva Marie Saint

Lauren Bacall

June Lockhart

Joan Leslie

Gloria DeHaven

Vera Miles

Olivia de Havilland

• Like 1

While I'm happy that there are "survivors" (so to speak) from both the silent and golden age of Hollywood left, it's bittersweet to me that we're having to make lists of those who are still alive. 

Obviously all of us here share an affinity for movies, classic films in particular, and it's sad that the people involved in that era, whether they were icons of that time, or merely working actors from that period, are slowly but surely leaving us.  Granted, some left us quite some time ago; but we've lost many only in the past decade or so.  I know that it's inevitable that someone who was active in films 50,60,70,80+ years ago are facing their mortality sooner rather than later; but it doesn't make it any less sad. 

Many of these stars seem so much bigger than life and made such an indelible mark on cinema that it almost seems impossible that they aren't immortal.  In an attempt to find any type of silver lining, thank goodness for organizations like: The National Film Preservation Board in conjunction with the US Library of Congress, American Film Institute, TCM and the studios themselves for their efforts to make sure that these films will survive and be enjoyed by current and future generations of people.  Thanks to their efforts, all our favorite stars will remain immortal in some sense. 

I remember growing up that stars like Katharine Hepburn, Bob Hope, Gregory Peck, Glenn Ford, Ann Miller, Jane Russell and Elizabeth Taylor (just to name a few), were all from my favorite period of film and all still alive! Granted, they were much older than they were in the films I loved; but they were alive nonetheless.  Heck, I was even still seeing people like Elizabeth Taylor pop up in films and her White Diamond commercials.  It was fantastic that she was in films in the 1940s and still working.  Then all within a span of about 10 years, all these stars passed away.  It was not shocking, but was still sad. 

I remember in middle school when Gene Kelly passed away.  I was so sad.  I loved Gene Kelly.  I remember watching the Gene Kelly tribute on TCM (at least I think it was TCM, I can't imagine they didn't have a tribute).  I watched all my favorites, "Singin' in the Rain," "An American in Paris," and "On the Town."  It was hard to believe that my beloved Gene Kelly was gone. 

Thank goodness my darling Errol Flynn passed long before I was born (not that I'm not sad that he was gone at such a young age).  I don't think I could bear it. 

Here's hoping that our favorite (still living) stars are with us for many years to come!

Herb Jeffries (The Bronze Buckaroo) is 100 and still with us- I know he wasn't mainstream in his film career, but he is still with us to appreciate and learn to appreciate. 

Carla Laemmle is 104, and is the only American silent screen star still alive.

Lupita Tovar is 106 is still alive. 

From MGM's Golden Age, Margaret O'Brien is still alive, abiet how young she still is. 

Maureen O'Hara is 94 and still alive. 

Carla Laemmle is 104, and is the only American silent screen star still alive.

I'll keep saying it, American silent film child actress Baby Peggy (Diana  Serra Cary) is still very much alive so Carla has some company.

And American silent film child actor, Dickie Moore, though in poor health, is still alive to keep Baby Peggy and Carla company as well.

@Izzcutter:

There were many on that list you provided that were NOT from that "golden era" that I think the OP was going on about.  And the other, "silent" survivors are people the general public wouldn't recognize.

But I'm glad they're still hanging in there.

Sepiatone

@Izzcutter:

There were many on that list you provided that were NOT from that "golden era" that I think the OP was going on about.  And the other, "silent" survivors are people the general public wouldn't recognize.

But I'm glad they're still hanging in there.

Sepiatone

Sepia,

I did not realize that Hollywood's Golden Era didn't include the 1940s!

Of course, I think maybe people define Hollywood's Golden Era differently.

Is it just the 1930s?

What about the 1940s when the studios were, arguably, at their strongest having survived various financial valleys and peaks during the Depression and the stars were turning out an amazing number of films a year?

What about the 1950s, when, even though the stuidos were hit with the Paramount Decree, many of the stars and studios did outstanding work throughout the decade despite the changes the studios were going through in terms of trying to remain profitable?

Just curious, what perimeters define "Hollywood's Golden Age"?

As for Carla Laemmle, Baby Peggy and Dickie Moore, I would hope film buffs would know all three but not sure that the general public would know who Carla is any more than they might know (or not know) the  other two! 

• Like 1

Los Angeles Times is reporting the death of Mary Anderson at 96.  She was possibly the last survivor of 1939's THE WOMEN.  That leaves Olivia de Havilland and Mickey Kuhn from GWTW. 

I wonder if the baby that was the baby is still alive.   I'm NOT talking about the child that played Bonnie.   I believe she died a few years ago.    Over 30 years ago I used to work with the sister of the man would was the baby (well this is what she told me).    Yea,  I was told that the baby girl in the movie was played by a baby boy.

Poor beautiful wonderful noir actor Lizabeth Scott. The reports of her death have been greatly exaggerated. IOW, she is not dead.

She may not be plasticized, but she is still very much alive.

I would love to see her introduce a screening of The Strange Love of Martha Ivers.

• Like 1