Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is anyone having trouble with Windows XP and this message board?

FredCDobbs

Microsoft is ending all support of Windows XP on April 8, 2014.

I’ve already noticed a lot of problems with XP during the past year, and it is becoming difficult to use.

For example, I’ve been having trouble with some websites when I copy basic text and paste it to a Word document, and then it messes up my Word program and kills the document. I mention that now because when I try to save some text from this new TCM message board, that messes up my Word document and kills it and destroys it.

I’ve found a way to work around that, using a different text document program, but that took about 3 hours of work and a lot of repairing of my Word program.

My computer repair-man says I can continue to use XP, and he has a few customers who are still using XP and even Windows 98.

The main drawback to upgrading to the new Windows 8.1 is because we have to buy a whole new computer to use it, and it’s a different kind of computer, with a tiny touch screen.

So, there is no telling what is going to happen to us XP users after April 8.

Anyone else having trouble with XP?

Microsoft is ending all support of Windows XP on April 8, 2014.

I’ve already noticed a lot of problems with XP during the past year, and it is becoming difficult to use...

The main drawback to upgrading to the new Windows 8.1 is because we have to buy a whole new computer to use it, and it’s a different kind of computer, with a tiny touch screen.

So, there is no telling what is going to happen to us XP users after April 8.

Anyone else having trouble with XP?

Lots of banks are still using XP but they're paying a fortune to third party security firms

to keep them clean.

I was using XP on a 15 year old HP desktop and it got to where it was pretty much useless online.

I know we're not all made of money, but you could buy a new tower with 8.1 pre-installed - keep your non touch-screen and mouse...you don't need to utilize the touch-screen. Works fine without it. Good towers are always on sale.. I got mine discounted below the big chain stores so called "low prices" from a well known offiice supply chain store. Should come with a new mouse and keyboard - use your old screen, no problemo.

One reason I asked this group about XP is because my repair-man does house-calls, and Ive been trying to get him out here to replace my APC battery backup unit, but his wife tells me that he has been so busy helping people with their new XP problems, he hasn’t had time to come out to my place yet. So Im not the only one in my area having XP problems.

Speaking of problems, my APC battery back up keeps sending me pop-ups telling me to replace my battery (it is 6 years old), and during the past few months the APC has been turning OFF my computer with NO warning. That is exactly what I bought the APC for so that I could avoid it when the house power goes out. But it is now APC that is shutting down my computer with no warning and no time for me to close my windows and shut it down normally. A battery backup unit should NOT ever work like that. It should NEVER shut my computer off with no warning.

I worked with rechargable batteries and audio/video equipment for the past 55 years, and I know that there is a way for the APC machine to tell me to SHUT DOWN, once the battery voltage drops below 11 or so volts, but with enough power still left to give me time to shut it down the right way. It is APC that is purposely shutting it down quickly, just as a gimmic to try to get me to buy a new expensive battery from them. They don't realize how much I know about batteries.

These big computer companies are turning into a bunch of crooks. There is nothing wrong with my XP, except for some trash Microsoft is probably sending it via automatic "updates" and "upgrades", which are actually down-grades.

Hey Fred, you may have to just upgrade, but have to tell you.... I just bought a new computer and it's Windows 8 and the "fun" really begins there. So between getting set up with TCM and figuring out Windows 8, it's been a blast. But I think I am really going to like the new TCM set up, but can't say the same for Windows 8 yet, but workin' on it.

Lots of banks are still using XP but they're paying a fortune to third party security firms

to keep them clean.

Years ago there were US government agencies that kept such things from happening. Such as the Federal Trade Commission, and other agencies, and they did not allow major companies to manipulate things we bought from them. Now we don't "buy" things like computer programs, we "lease" them, and the companies can change them and mess them up, any time they want to, with no government agency to protect us.

Your XP should make a great "off-line" computer - still very powerful; very dependable within itself. Just will not survive long in an online malware / virus environment.

I guess your UPS has gotten down to the last few drops of juice and gone into survival mode.. and it ain't your computer's survival it's worried about. Sounds like a new battery will do the trick.

.... I just bought a new computer and it's Windows 8 and the "fun" really begins there. So between getting set up with TCM and figuring out Windows 8, it's been a blast. But I think I am really going to like the new TCM set up, but can't say the same for Windows 8 yet, but workin' on it.

I just installed a new tower with 8.1 (replaces XP tower / non touch-screen) and am having a ball with it - and now the new Message Boards..  :P

It's like the movie Contact where Jodie Foster's character gets slingshot through the wormhole, except I'm diggin' it all the way  B)

• Like 1

Fred, I just download 

Malicious Software Removal Tool Version 5.11 April 2014

and the Microsoft Security Essentials upgraded the definitions an hour ago.  It's now to see how long this will continue.

The MSE updates should continue until 2015. Internet Explorer 8 is no longer safe to use - Google Chrome or Firefox are safer and they have committed to XP support for at least another year. So.. this could be stretched out for another 8-12 months before the real plug is really pulled on XP.

Fred, I just download 

Malicious Software Removal Tool Version 5.11 April 2014

and the Microsoft Security Essentials upgraded the definitions an hour ago.  It's now to see how long this will continue.

How about now?

Last time I shut off my computer today, Microsoft downloaded 11 new files to my computer. That took about 3 hours. I don't trust them.

Now, I can stay on line for only about half an hour and then my computer can't go to any website at all. I have to turn my computer off and my modem off then on, then turn on the computer again and I can go on line again for about half an hour. Then the same problem.

My repair man has been so busy working with local companies who still use XP, he doesn't have time right now to come out here to see what is causing this problem. He's very busy right now fixing different local XP problems for several customers.

How about now?

Last time I shut off my computer today, Microsoft downloaded 11 new files to my computer. That took about 3 hours. I don't trust them.

Now, I can stay on line for only about half an hour and then my computer can't go to any website at all. I have to turn my computer off and my modem off then on, then turn on the computer again and I can go on line again for about half an hour. Then the same problem.

My repair man has been so busy working with local companies who still use XP, he doesn't have time right now to come out here to see what is causing this problem. He's very busy right now fixing different local XP problems for several customers.

You can turn off the Updates, they slow down the internet.  As of last night the Microsoft Essentials stop functioning stating it's no longer supporting XP.  This only leaves the Malicious Software Removal Tool.

There is a hidden function called msconfig that allows an expert to turn off/on certain functions.  That's how I get rid of those nagging alert icons at the bottom right.  WARNING...You have to know what one is doing or system disruption can occur if the wrong function is turned off.  This is why there are no shortcuts.

I was force to give up my dialup last summer because of incompetence. Got 15MBPS which is the lowest I need on broadband.

UPDATE:

Ok, I finally got my favorite repair technician out to my place (he makes house-calls), and he worked a couple of hours on my computer, adding new anti-virus programs since Microsoft Security stopped working a few days after April 8, and so did my IE 8 and other XP things too.

He added a bunch of new ram chips which doubled my ram capacity, and he switched me over from IE 8 to Firefox, and now my computer is working very well, even with XP. It is much faster now, and everything on the new message board works, and the board pages load very rapidly. He also started a defrag program which seemed to help speed up my computer.

He took my tower outside, opened it up, and cleaned a bunch of dust and dirt out of it, including some dead bugs and spider webs.

:)

UPDATE:

Ok, I finally got my favorite repair technician out to my place ...

He took my tower outside, opened it up, and cleaned a bunch of dust and dirt out of it, including some dead bugs and spider webs.

:lol:

Dead bugs and spider webs.. 

UPDATE:

Gives new meaning to "bugs in the system."

A friend of mine told me about AVG Antivirus Free.  Got it installed, decent but not perfect protection, can't complain since its free. :)

Since I'm on a early 2000's 2.6 GHZ machine, more likely the best choice.

It is my understanding that that is the original definition. Early computers had many relays. Operators would have to at regular intervals clean out insects which had been squished and fried into place when they were in the wrong place when the contacts closed. It was by this that the operators suspected there was a bug in a relay when the computer did not work properly.

I usually keep it cool in my computer room. But the bugs and spiders who live out here in this climate, prefer warm weather, and so, if they get inside my house, the warmest place they can usually find is inside my electronic gear. So they often make their homes there. :)

I have been using Windows XP for about ten years on the same computer! I knew that XP support was being dropped by Microsoft (at least, for residential users) and that it would only make sense to buy a new computer for future use. Windows 8 is still a work in progress, which I want no part of at this time. After researching this subject carefully, I bought a new Dell Inspiron 660 with Windows 7 Professional already installed, with 4GB of RAM and a dual-core Intel processor. 

My research on this subject told me that, if I bought the Professional version of Windows 7, I could use a special technology developed by Microsoft to continue to use Windows XP SP3, but with no further support for it by Microsoft. It is possible to use XP in a separate window on Windows 7, with everything operating exactly as it did before it was discontinued. This method of using XP within the Windows 7 OS is known as the Virtual XP Mode. I had a very competent computer technician install the Virtual XP Mode on my new computer, which I now use occasionally with a few special programs that will not run on Windows 7. It operates as advertised, and was developed primarily for use by those stubborn businesses that insist upon sticking with XP. It is easy to use, once it is brought into operation, which takes only a few minutes to set up. After this is done, and if the system is not rebooted, the XP window can be minimized to the taskbar, and Windows 7 used normally with XP out of sight (except at the bottom of the display, by means of a Virtual XP Mode icon. Or, if one desires, a smaller XP window can be used inside the larger Windows 7 desktop display. This is an unbelievable dual-system setup -- a perfect example of having your cake and eating it too!

Anyone who has worries about hanging on to Windows XP should investigate this technology.

Musikone

(and much more)

UPDATE:

Ok, I finally got my favorite repair technician out to my place (he makes house-calls), and he worked a couple of hours on my computer, adding new anti-virus programs since Microsoft Security stopped working a few days after April 8, and so did my IE 8 and other XP things too.

He added a bunch of new ram chips which doubled my ram capacity, and he switched me over from IE 8 to Firefox, and now my computer is working very well, even with XP. It is much faster now, and everything on the new message board works, and the board pages load very rapidly. He also started a defrag program which seemed to help speed up my computer.

Okay Fred, this really means now that you have no more options for complaining about your computer, okay?

I am very happy to hear that your computer person was able to help update your system. I have a Mac desktop which has been running on Firefox since I purchased the computer in 2012. But before that with my older computer that one also ran Firefox. Hope you enjoy the experience.

Okay Fred, this really means now that you have no more options for complaining about your computer, okay?

I am very happy to hear that your computer person was able to help update your system. I have a Mac desktop which has been running on Firefox since I purchased the computer in 2012. But before that with my older computer that one also ran Firefox. Hope you enjoy the experience.

I am still using xp as well as firefox and all is well. :)