Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
FredCDobbs

Is anyone having trouble with Windows XP and this message board?

Okay Fred, this really means now that you have no more options for complaining about your computer, okay?

Not at the momement. Thanks.

I'll let you know if something else comes up. :)

Have you managed to get your cable re-connected?

I am still using xp as well as firefox and all is well. :)

Good luck!

You are certainly going to need it  :( .

musikone

Not at the momement. Thanks.

I'll let you know if something else comes up. :)

Have you managed to get your cable re-connected?

Actually we still have cable. Where we live here in Colorado Springs we only get like three to four internet providers that allow us the 50mbps speed. Which I need when I perform freelance through icloud. In order to get this service I have to be connected with Comcast. They are the only cable internet in the area with speeds this fast. So I have them and to get that service I have to get basic cable which does not have any hi def channels or movie channels including TCM

Which is okay. With Netflix, YouTube, and my own movie collection I have enough to watch when I want to. But hey, thanks for asking.

Good luck!

You are certainly going to need it  :( .

musikone

Well, my computer is so old now it really doesn't matter. :) Hey, anyone hear about that new IE security breach on the news yesterday? MS is telling folks don't use IE until they have a fix. No prob...I wasn't using it anyway. :lol:

Well, my computer is so old now it really doesn't matter. :) Hey, anyone hear about that new IE security breach on the news yesterday? MS is telling folks don't use IE until they have a fix. No prob...I wasn't using it anyway. :lol:

You'll be much better off without a computer, given that managing computer security appears to be beyond your grasp. Now you can turn your attention to the more important things in your life. You can still watch TCM on TV, albeit unable to participate in their discussion forums, whose purpose is (purportedly) to discuss so-called "classic" movies :) -- like the rapidly moving Windows XP. It was indeed a classic, which has now moved out of the picture!

However, we shall all be disappointed with your quick retirement from this forum. Enjoy your life in retirement.

musikone

Musicone,

I am lucky enough to have one of the smartest computer repairman and nerds in the business. He repairs software for companies and individuals all day long, and sometimes into the night and on weekends too.

I called him and told him the problem I was having, and he said, "Well, let me move over to my XP machine and see what is going on."

I found out that whenever a major new operating system goes on line, he buys a new computer to run it but he keeps his older computers that still run older systems, since most of his repair customers still use the older systems. He still has one computer running Windows 98, and he keeps that working for some of his customers. :)

So, he said he was not having the same problem with XP that I was having, so we set up an appoint for him to come out here to the high desert where I live, and go over my system. It took 2 1/4 hours but he got it to working ok. He added some new RAM chips and changed some things around inside my software, and he set me up to use Firefox and three new anti-virus programs. And now my machine is like new, it runs fast, and it operates with this new message board as if I have a whole new computer. :)

Oh, and PS: He also took the side off my tower and cleaned out the desert dirt and dust, some old dead bugs, and some spider webs. Since I generally keep my computer room cool, the bugs and spiders like to live inside my warm tower. :)

You'll be much better off without a computer, given that managing computer security appears to be beyond your grasp. Now you can turn your attention to the more important things in your life. You can still watch TCM on TV, albeit unable to participate in their discussion forums, whose purpose is (purportedly) to discuss so-called "classic" movies :) -- like the rapidly moving Windows XP. It was indeed a classic, which has now moved out of the picture!

However, we shall all be disappointed with your quick retirement from this forum. Enjoy your life in retirement.

musikone

Didn't know I was leaving. :huh:

Oh, and PS: He also took the side off my tower and cleaned out the desert dirt and dust, some old dead bugs, and some spider webs. Since I generally keep my computer room cool, the bugs and spiders like to live inside my warm tower. :)

So, did he leave the Gila monster in there?  :unsure:

So, did he leave the Gila monster in there?  :unsure:

No, but the rascal made off with my goods!!

Anyone on Windows XP should buy a new computer running Windows 7 while it is still available. Windows 8 is terrible and if you wait too long you will be stuck with it when your XP machine goes belly up/

Anyone on Windows XP should buy a new computer running Windows 7 while it is still available. Windows 8 is terrible and if you wait too long you will be stuck with it when your XP machine goes belly up/

Aren't you glad that you read my recent post here on this subject? I won't tell anyone that "your" advice echoes my sentiments exactly and is just what I did a few weeks ago, before XP was given the Kiss of Death by Microsoft. Others around here will have to learn the hard way. And I do mean hard.

musikone

(better earlier than never)

Aren't you glad that you read my recent post here on this subject? I won't tell anyone that "your" advice echoes my sentiments exactly and is just what I did a few weeks ago, before XP was given the Kiss of Death by Microsoft. Others around here will have to learn the hard way. And I do mean hard.

musikone

(better earlier than never)

Funny, I'm still using Windows 3.11 on 2 of my machines. (one has DOS/Win3.11 and Win 98SE dual boot capability.

win30.jpg

Anyone on Windows XP should buy a new computer running Windows 7 while it is still available.

And go through the same thing all over again when Microsoft stops supporting Windows 7?

Naaaah.

While I've heard nothing good about Windows 8, my heart is still with those who bought computers loaded with Windows Vista. I've heard they are the most unfortunate of all.

A Windows XP machine is a dinosaur compared to a Windows 7 machine, you are talking about 14 year old technology unless you install it on the latest harware, and even then it may not be compatible. but Windows 7 is the closest thing you will see to Windows XP as Microsoft is commited to doing the connected computing cloud now. Windows 8 was also made for touch screen computing when PCs aren't used with touch screens, go figure.

Windows 7 machines are probably 10 times faster at least at this point, it may be much more. There are some online that compare the hardware and say they are both the same speed but it is the overall PC that matters.

Windows 7 machines are probably 10 times faster at least at this point, it may be much more. There are some online that compare the hardware and say they are both the same speed but it is the overall PC that matters.

My repairman told me that the best way to speed up an old computer is to add more RAM chips.

Seems that the longer a person uses a computer, the more the newer downloads and upgrades of programs like Flash, Real Player, Acrobat, and newer anti-virus programs, require more and more RAM space as time goes by.

RAM is what your computer loads from the hard drive every time you start it up. With plenty of RAM memory, the programs operate rapidly, without having to keep accessing the hard drive for more information. Hard drive accessing requires a mechanical operation, while RAM access require only electronic access, which movies around in your computer much faster than hard drive access.

So a few years after using a new computer, we wind up with our original RAM chips all filled up each time our computer is turned on, and we are left with not enough RAM to run the newer programs that we've downloaded over the past few years. So our computers have to keep slowing down and going to the hard drive to bring up newer programs that don't have any or much RAM space to run those newer programs at full speed.

So, my repairman doubled my RAM by adding new and additional chips to my computer, and now, with this new upgraded TCM message board program, when I click on a thread page or a forum, it loads in 2 to 3 seconds, instead of half a minute to a minute.

So, adding new RAM chips will speed up any old computer and any XP machine.

We have several computers because some are dedicated to specific uses.

I believe that my fiance's favorite is his Digital Venturis. It is completely stable and never requires updates! He is able to work for hours because of the lack of distractions. It is sad to say that it will soon need a new monitor which may be difficult to procure. His justification for keeping it is that it is the only stable platform for the CAD program which a client uses as a distribution base. It is 486 at 66MHz running DOS 6.22.

Our computers which were purchased with Win98, WinXE and WinVista have all been upgraded to appropriate versions of Linux.

One computer will remain forever as WinXP because it is the last stable platform for two important programs. 

The computer we use for Internet access is WinXP. We have discussed buying a new one but there is little justification. We are not ones to replace good equipment in a chase to have shiny new bells and whistles.

We have no fear of WinXP being compromised because my fiance has friends who use it. They work on computers for aerospace and International banks. They continue to use WinXP for their personal computers and will help us if needed.

We were advised to avoid Win7 because it is a major privacy risk. We were advised to avoid Win8 because it is not stable and has privacy concerns.

Win8.1 is considered acceptable by these people because it is reasonably stable and can be set-up to avoid certain privacy problems. We have been advised that upgrading from Win8 to Win8.1 is not a good thing and that Win8.1 should be installed cleanly.

I do not understand those people who shun technology when it is more than a year old. My current automobile was built in 1978. It does all that I need. It appears to have an upper limit of one-hundred-three miles per hour and most cars of 2014 can not exceed ninety miles per hour. I say that it appears to have that as an upper limit because that is as fast as I have been able to go in my usual driving. It is possible that on a racetrack or with a driver with more ability it might be able to go faster.

Our neighbor has a 2014 automobile. She has said that if it returns from the shop on Friday then it will be an even fifty-fifty split as to the number of days it has been in the shop vs. the number of days she has been able to drive it since she purchased it.

Funny, I'm still using Windows 3.11 on 2 of my machines. (one has DOS/Win3.11 and Win 98SE dual boot capability.

What's so funny? It is Windows XP that is causing all of the controversy and all of the security troubles. Windows 3.11 is simply irrelevant to this discussion. Perhaps you can start a new thread about the exciting Windows 3.11. I'm sure that it will attract a whole potload of readers.

I sure hate to spoil all of your fun......

musikone

win30.jpg

And go through the same thing all over again when Microsoft stops supporting Windows 7?

Naaaah.

Yaaaah.

I suspect that H--- will freeze over before Microsoft stops supporting Windows 7! This means that FCD won't be around and be faced with such a dilemma.

musikone

"One computer will remain forever as WinXP because it is the last stable platform for two important programs. "

This is the only rationale for keeping WinXP.

"The computer we use for Internet access is WinXP. We have discussed buying a new one but there is little justification. We are not ones to replace good equipment in a chase to have shiny new bells and whistles."

WinXP is a computer operating system, not a computer.

"We have no fear of WinXP being compromised because my fiance has friends who use it."

A computer operating system being compromised? Do you mean the computer operating system being corrupted?

"They continue to use WinXP for their personal computers and will help us if needed."

They are foolish, since WinXP is no longer being supported with crucial security updates.

"We were advised to avoid Win7 because it is a major privacy risk."

Advised by whom? What does this advisor claim is the nature of this major privacy risk? Is this so-called privacy risk worse than the privacy risk associated with WinXP used in conjunction with Internet Explorer?

"We were advised to avoid Win8 because it is not stable and has privacy concerns."

Advised by whom? What does this advisor claim is the source of these privacy concerns?

"Win8.1 is considered acceptable by these people because it is reasonably stable and can be set-up to avoid certain privacy problems. We have been advised that upgrading from Win8 to Win8.1 is not a good thing and that Win8.1 should be installed cleanly."

In my opinion, Windows 8 is far from being a viable operating system for most users. It is still a work in progress, and will probably still be when Windows SOS is released  :) .

"I do not understand those people who shun technology when it is more than a year old."

I agree with this. Change for the sake of change makes no sense.

musikone

"A Windows XP machine is a dinosaur compared to a Windows 7 machine, you are talking about 14 year old technology unless you install it on the latest harware, and even then it may not be compatible. but Windows 7 is the closest thing you will see to Windows XP as Microsoft is commited to doing the connected computing cloud now. Windows 8 was also made for touch screen computing when PCs aren't used with touch screens, go figure.

Windows 7 machines are probably 10 times faster at least at this point, it may be much more. There are some online that compare the hardware and say they are both the same speed but it is the overall PC that matters."

Do not confuse the Operating System (OS) with the computer in which this OS is running !!!

musikone

.. Win8.1 is considered acceptable by these people because it is reasonably stable and can be set-up to avoid certain privacy problems. We have been advised that upgrading from Win8 to Win8.1 is not a good thing and that Win8.1 should be installed cleanly..

I'll vouch for that. I've got a new tower which came with 8.1 pre-installed and I have had absolutely none of the issues I've read or heard about involving upgrades or laptops. In fact, with the latest MS update, my 8.1 has been somewhat retro-converted back to the XP desktop scheme. That seems to make a lot of people very happy - not me.. I like metro on my non-touch desktop. I think it's cool and am having lots of fun bouncing back and forth between it and desktop as I go about my business.

Does anyone know of anyone who has contracted a virus from these boards? Perhaps TCM.com is safe enough to allow secure XP usage in the foreseeable future.