Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
FredCDobbs

Is anyone having trouble with Windows XP and this message board?

Does anyone know of anyone who has contracted a virus from these boards? Perhaps TCM.com is safe enough to allow secure XP usage in the foreseeable future.

I have been told that forums are in and of themself generally safe. It is links which take you away from a forum which are dangerous. I believe it would require a forum such as this to be hacked before there is danger. 

The browser should warn of any sites which contain a virus. 

It is for a short time only that use of WinXP might pose a possible risk. Creation of viruses specific to it will decease as it loses market share. 

SansFin, on 01 May 2014 - 1:11 PM, said:

"The computer we use for Internet access is WinXP. We have discussed buying a new one but there is little justification. We are not ones to replace good equipment in a chase to have shiny new bells and whistles."

WinXP is a computer operating system, not a computer.

I am sorry that I was not clear. I mean by that that the computer we use to access the Internet has WinXP as its operating system. I used as shorthand that the computer is WinXP because I thought that it would be understood that I was differentiating our computers by their operating systems. I apologize that I made such an error.

"We have no fear of WinXP being compromised because my fiance has friends who use it."

A computer operating system being compromised? Do you mean the computer operating system being corrupted?

A rootkit compromises an operating system. That is the type of virus which is most difficult to detect and difficult to remove. 

The vast majority of other types of viruses pose no more than a passing annoyance.

"They continue to use WinXP for their personal computers and will help us if needed."

They are foolish, since WinXP is no longer being supported with crucial security updates.

I thank you for that information. I will tell these people who make six figures a year protecting systems for cutting-edge technology manufacturers and for ensuring the integrity of transactions involving billions of dollars that they are fools.

..The browser should warn of any sites which contain a virus..

Yes. Some months back, there were a couple of RED pages that popped up here - our browsers did stop us short of those.

musikone a 15 year old PC running XP is not nearly as fast as a new one running Windows 7. There is a reason Microsoft is discontinuing to support that operating system.

Everybody on XP will have to upgrade as websites get more complex. This new message board loads slowly for XP users for a reason.

Everybody on XP will have to upgrade as websites get more complex. This new message board loads slowly for XP users for a reason.

It loads very fast for me. About 2-3 seconds when I change pages. I think it's because of this board's program plus my new RAM chips.

Oh, and also, I stepped up my modum speed to DSL 1.5 Mbs about two years ago. That helped a lot.

Have you all heard the latest news about  Windows Explorer on the new machines?  Goes to show newer doesn't always mean better.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/04/28/307763583/u-s-tells-users-to-stop-using-internet-explorer-for-now

http://www.cnet.com/news/stop-using-ie-until-bug-is-fixed-says-us/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/05/01/microsoft-issues-fix-for-major-internet-explorer-bug-even-for-windows-xp-users/

Microsoft released a security update for its Internet Explorer browser Thursday to fix a bug that allowed hackers to take over a computer.

The tech company said it will be releasing a similar update for Windows XP, even though it dropped support for the 12-year-old operating system last month. Users who have automatic updates enabled should not have to take any action, Microsoft said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/05/01/microsoft-issues-fix-for-major-internet-explorer-bug-even-for-windows-xp-users/

Microsoft released a security update for its Internet Explorer browser Thursday to fix a bug that allowed hackers to take over a computer.

The tech company said it will be releasing a similar update for Windows XP, even though it dropped support for the 12-year-old operating system last month. Users who have automatic updates enabled should not have to take any action, Microsoft said.

Thanks for the update, I just now downloaded and installed it.  :)

I'll bet alotta people in the MS organization are still using xp themselves. :)

alotta? what did your spell-checker have to say about this?

Microsoft is fearful for its own security! If users are kicked off XP, "cold turkey," the uproar will be deafening. So Microsoft has been forced to backtrack on the security issue, at least, while stripping away the other remnants of the pariah XP. As I have explained previously, serious computer users who wish to keep using XP have the option of doing so quite conveniently, within a Windows 7 or 8 operating framework, by setting up the Windows XP virtual mode or having a technician do it.

Am I the only one around these parts who understands what this means and how to use this virtual mode? I suspect that this is the case. 

musikone

alotta? what did your spell-checker have to say about this?

105bp08.jpg

alotta..? alotta..? Jake Alotta.. wasn't he the "Raging Bull"

105bp08.jpg

alotta..? alotta..? Jake Alotta.. wasn't he the "Raging Bull"

That's right -- Alotta Bull.

musikone