Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Great move TCM

markfp2

It seems that I suggested an off-topic board a couple of years ago and what do ya know TCM has one now. Just about every other site I go to does. It will keep the regular boards more on topic but still give folks a place to post non-movie related stuff that might be of interest to others.

• 8 years later...
On 4/7/2014 at 11:45 PM, markfp2 said:

It seems that I suggested an off-topic board a couple of years ago and what do ya know TCM has one now. Just about every other site I go to does. It will keep the regular boards more on topic but still give folks a place to post non-movie related stuff that might be of interest to others.

The Off-Topic board has been here for many, many years as far as I know.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ElCid said:

The Off-Topic board has been here for many, many years as far as I know.

Yes, the post you're responding to is from 8 years ago. Not sure why it got bumped up again.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Yes, the post you're responding to is from 8 years ago. Not sure why it got bumped up again.

Bumping up very old threads is fairly typical newbie behavior.    After they are done reading and replying to active-threads they look at non-active ones and based on the title read-and-reply.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Bumping up very old threads is fairly typical newbie behavior.    After they are done reading and replying to active-threads they look at non-active ones and based on the title read-and-reply.

I generally catch this, but missed it this time.  I also never go back more than the next page and that seldom to look at titles.

40 minutes ago, ElCid said:

I generally catch this, but missed it this time.  I also never go back more than the next page and that seldom to look at titles.

You were not the one that bumped up this thread,  but the newbie Technicolor.   I.e. he is the first one that responded to this 8 year old thread.

Thus you replied to an active thread.     Note that this website even tells users they are replying to very old threads:  E.g.  it says "8 years later...." above his post.

For me it does.  I saw the title and opened it and the original post showed up and I thought it was a new thread.   I responded to that post without noticing when it was made.  Also, the person who "reopened" it was actually commenting on something fairly different in reality.

My opinion is that all threads should be closed 3 years after the last post and 5 years after created.  If a topic is still relevant and of interest, let someone start it over again.

I realize there are some who like to go back and review all the previous comments for years and years and years.  Not for me.  I consider this a place for discussions of current TCM programming and events (Off Topic).

14 hours ago, Technicolor33 said:

Ok lesson learned. Never reply to old threads. Got it

There was no lesson here;    most threads don't get "old";   i.e.  the topic is still relevant.  

This thread was the exception since it was date-driven;    I.e.  the great-move here by TCM was done over 8 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

They forget that they constantly post to old threads about Trump. It just shows the power he had over some people, while poor Obama and Hillary were quickly forgotten.

Not by you obviously.