Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mr6666

TCM Premieres

I didn't think I'd seen her full breasts bared. From what I've read, the American version of the movie cut the 1-second shot - but left it in for Europe. So, maybe the injunction applied only to America.

Yeah, I think the people on Amazon who are complaining about the topless scene being cut from the DVD release of THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT are mistakenly thinking they saw the scene in the movie when in fact they actually saw the photos that were leaked. 

tonight 4-18, for Director Robt. Rossen:

10:30 pm ET
B/W
106 min
TV-G
drama

A matador must recover his courage after being gored in the ring.

DirRobert Rossen CastMel Ferrer , Miroslava , Anthony Quinn .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Robert Rossen. Mel Ferrer, Miroslava, Anthony Quinn, Eugene Iglesias.

"Flavorful account of public and private life of a matador, based on Tom Lea book. Film admirably captures atmosphere of bullfighting. Some prints now available run 114m., with bullfight footage originally deemed too gruesome for U.S. audiences."

article: http://www.nytimes.com/movies/movie/85884/The-Brave-Bulls/overview

the-brave-bulls-movie-poster-1951-102035

I think the people on Amazon who are complaining about the topless scene being cut from the DVD release of THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT are mistakenly thinking they saw the scene in the movie when in fact they actually saw the photos that were leaked. 

Amazing how important two little bewbies are to some people.

B/W

106 min

TV-G

drama

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

"Flavorful account of public and private life of a matador, based on Tom Lea book. Film admirably captures atmosphere of bullfighting. Some prints now available run 114m., with bullfight footage originally deemed too gruesome for U.S. audiences."

again....just a bump for tonight's airing :)

B/W

106 min

TV-G

drama

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

I will be watching this to see Anthony Quinn.  I have yet to to be disappointed with anything I've seen him in.

• Like 1

late Sun., 4-19       TCM Imports       Premiere

3:30 am ET
Color
140 min
TV-PG
drama

As Japanese society changes, four sisters gather each year to watch the cherry blossoms bloom.

DirKon Ichikawa CastKeiko Kishi , Yoshiko Sakuma , Sayuri Yoshinaga .

critic Michael Sragow called the film "a magisterial achievement: a barbed, poignant and seductive elegy....[a] lyric and moving remembrance of Japan past."

Article: http://www.tcm.com/t...e/articles.html

makioka-sisters-movie-poster-1983-102020

late Sun., 4-19       TCM Imports       Premiere

3:30 am ET
Color

140 min

TV-PG

drama

As Japanese society changes, four sisters gather each year to watch the cherry blossoms bloom.

Dir: Kon Ichikawa Cast:  Keiko Kishi , Yoshiko Sakuma , Sayuri Yoshinaga .

critic Michael Sragow called the film "a magisterial achievement: a barbed, poignant and seductive elegy....[a] lyric and moving remembrance of Japan past."

Article: http://www.tcm.com/t...e/articles.html

makioka-sisters-movie-poster-1983-102020

I loved Kon Ichikawa's The Makioka Sisters.  It is wonderful that TCM is playing it.  Highly recommended.  Thanks mr6666

• Like 1

tonite, 4-21 for Sophia Loren:

(times ET)

8:00 PM & 10:30 PM
Color
26 min
TV-PG
drama
Human Voice (2014)

An aging beauty tries desperately to win back a lover drawn to a younger woman.

DirEdoardo Ponti CastEnrico Lo Verso , Sophia Loren 

8:30 PM
Color
102 min
TV-PG
comedy

A businessman's discarded mistress refuses to tell him which of her three sons is his.

DirVittorio De Sica CastSophia Loren , Marcello Mastroianni , Aldo Puglisi .

ARTICLE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_Italian_Style

1:00 AM
B/W
131 min
TV-PG
comedy

A clown, a pizza chef, a gambler and a lady of the evening enliven six stories of Neapolitan life.

DirVittorio De Sica CastToto , Lianella Carrell , Pasquale Cennamo .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Vittorio De Sica. Sophia Loren, Vittorio De Sica, Toto, Silvana Mangano, Paolo Stoppa. Four vignettes--poignant, perceptive, hilarious in turn: Loren as philandering wife of pizza baker; De Sica as avid cardplayer upstaged by 8-year-old; Toto as Milquetoast family man; Mangano as prostitute involved in unusual marriage.

Late Sun., 4-26      TCM Imports      2 Premieres....

(times ET)

2:00 AM
B/W
105 min
TV-PG
comedy

Five comic tales of love showcase the growing Czechoslovakian film industry.

"A manifesto of sorts for the Czech New Wave, this five-part anthology shows off the breadth of expression and the versatility of the movement’s directors. Based on stories by the legendary writer Bohumil Hrabal, the shorts range from the surreally chilling to the caustically observant to the casually romantic, but all have a cutting, wily view of the world"

4:00 AM
B/W
71 min
TV-PG
drama

Picnickers are held captive by a sadist and his gang.

DirJan Nemec CastIvan Vyskocil , Jan Klusák , Jirí Nemec .

"....offers an allegorical scenario in which a group of picnickers is psychologically forced into submission by strangers who set up a bureaucratic social nightmare,...."

ARTICLE: http://www.tcm.com/t...A/articles.html

Report on the Party and the Guests, A (1966)

Picnickers are held captive by a sadist and his gang.

Dir: Jan Nemec Cast:  Ivan Vyskocil , Jan Klusák , Jirí Nemec .

This is a very important movie.

I hope that none are dissuaded from watching it because of the description provided. That description is wrong on many levels.

It is a captivating look at basic human nature and how desires to be nice and good lead to imprisonment by liberal leaders.

• Like 1

It is a captivating look at basic human nature and how desires to be nice and good lead to imprisonment by liberal leaders.

Nice and good? Have you been listening to Jerry Lewis again, Sans?

Mon., 4-27, for             Designer George Jenkins:

12:15 am ET
Color
100 min
TV-MA
suspense
Night Moves (1975)

An L.A. private detective puts aside his own marital woes while tracing a topless nymphet to the Florida Keys.

DirArthur Penn CastGene Hackman , Jennifer Warren , Edward Binns .

ARTICLE: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/84889/Night-Moves/articles.html

& http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-night-moves-1975

large_2ceF2k0JhE7LAHDFIxhWyxqSR4R.jpg

You better believe I'll have the recorder going tonight at midnight.

'Night Moves' is the jewel of the month for me.

Unfortunately, TCM is not showing NIGHT MOVES in widescreen. So it will probably be a pan-and-scan version. 

in night moves,if i remenber well,there is a scene where the boom microphone is in the  shot, on top of Hackman it happens in a room,if it is still there i do not know what happened in the editing room then.

in night moves,if i remenber well,there is a scene where the boom microphone is in the  shot, on top of Hackman it happens in a room,if it is still there i do not know what happened in the editing room then.

Doesn't surprise me.  Hackman is very tall making it all the more difficult to frame a shot and not get the boom in the way.  This is a problem you rarely see nowadays as they just use CGI to remove it.

During a rough cut of Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven I could see a steady-cam operator standing on the parapet right beside Orlando Bloom.  Then in the final edit they covered the cameraman with some computerized people.

There is also theatrical framing and television framing.  Television framing often provided more room at the top and bottom of the frame so if you weren't taking that into account - presto - there it is the boom on tv but not when shown theatrically.

• Like 2

tonight 4-29, for        SOTM Anthony Quinn:

11:30 pm ET

Color
106 min
TV-PG
comedy
Flap (1970)    aka "The Last Warrior"

An aging Native American mounts a one-man rebellion against the U.S. government.

Based on the 1967 novel Nobody Loves a Drunken Indian, by western writer Clair Huffaker,

DirCarol Reed CastAnthony Quinn , Claude Akins , Tony Bill .

Article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/19396/Flap/articles.html

G3PttivPPI9hlqA.jpg

Doesn't surprise me.  Hackman is very tall making it all the more difficult to frame a shot and not get the boom in the way.  This is a problem you rarely see nowadays as they just use CGI to remove it.

During a rough cut of Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven I could see a steady-cam operator standing on the parapet right beside Orlando Bloom.  Then in the final edit they covered the cameraman with some computerized people.

There is also theatrical framing and television framing.  Television framing often provided more room at the top and bottom of the frame so if you weren't taking that into account - presto - there it is the boom on tv but not when shown theatrically.

There was also an indoor scene where Hackman had bad perspiration stains. You'd think they could've had a spare shirt handy for him to wear. No a/c??

Unfortunately, TCM is not showing NIGHT MOVES in widescreen. So it will probably be a pan-and-scan version. 

I didn't watch the entire movie (it didn't interest me), but I was happy to see that TCM did show it in widescreen format. 

I guess they erred on the side of caution when they posted the information on the schedule.

Apparently they didn't know if the print was widescreen or not. 

They did the same thing with SILKWOOD.

late tonight 4-30, for        'Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid':

2:15 am ET
B/W
58 min
TV-PG
western

The legendary outlaw's tumultuous relationship with Sheriff Pat Garrett leads to violence.

DirWilliam Berke CastDon Barry , Robert Lowery , Wally Vernon .

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042587/

"....give(s) non-Producer star Don Barry (more than twice as old as the Kid lived to be) a chance to show how lovable he can be even when playing a cold-blooded killer.....based on just being a low-budget quickie version of Billy the Kid, aimed at grind-house Saturday matinées, hits that target dead on...."

i-shot-billy-the-kid-movie-poster-1950-1

Premieres Fri., 5-1, for                Fri. Night Spotlight:  Orson Welles:

a long sought 'lost film'

Article: http://brightlightsf...a/#.VUL-w5MXbIU

2:00 am ET
B/W
40 min
comedy

Disaster follows a man's discovery that he has a romantic rival.

DirOrson Welles CastEdgar Barrier , Joseph Cotten , Virginia Nicholson .

220px-TooMuchJohnson.jpg

"....a 1938 American silent comedy film written and directed by Orson Welles. The film was made three years before Welles directed Citizen Kane, but it was never publicly screened. The film was shot to be integrated into Welles's Mercury Theatre stage presentation of William Gillette's 1894 comedy, but the motion picture sequences could not be shown due to the absence of projection facilities at the venue, the Stony Creek Theatre in Connecticut. The resulting plot confusion contributed to the stage production's failure.

The film was believed to be lost, but in 2008 a print was discovered in a warehouse in Pordenone, Italy.[1][2] The film premiered Wednesday, October 9, 2013, at the Pordenone Silent Film Festival.[2] In 2014 the film was made available online by the National Film Preservation Foundation.[3]"

I didn't watch the entire movie (it didn't interest me), but I was happy to see that TCM did show it in widescreen format. 

I guess they erred on the side of caution when they posted the information on the schedule.

Apparently they didn't know if the print was widescreen or not. 

They did the same thing with SILKWOOD.

Good to know. But are you sure they didn't crop the original film then stretch it to make it seem like widescreen? 

Good to know. But are you sure they didn't crop the original film then stretch it to make it seem like widescreen? 

No, because it was letterboxed on the SD channel.

No, because it was letterboxed on the SD channel.

That's a good way to verify. Thanks, Holden!

Premieres Fri., 5-1, for                Fri. Night Spotlight:  Orson Welles:

a long sought 'lost film'

Article: http://brightlightsf...a/#.VUL-w5MXbIU

2:00 am ET
B/W

40 min

comedy

Disaster follows a man's discovery that he has a romantic rival.

DirOrson Welles CastEdgar Barrier , Joseph Cotten , Virginia Nicholson .

220px-TooMuchJohnson.jpg

"....a 1938 American silent comedy film written and directed by Orson Welles. The film was made three years before Welles directed Citizen Kane, but it was never publicly screened. The film was shot to be integrated into Welles's Mercury Theatre stage presentation of William Gillette's 1894 comedy, but the motion picture sequences could not be shown due to the absence of projection facilities at the venue, the Stony Creek Theatre in Connecticut. The resulting plot confusion contributed to the stage production's failure.

The film was believed to be lost, but in 2008 a print was discovered in a warehouse in Pordenone, Italy.[1][2] The film premiered Wednesday, October 9, 2013, at the Pordenone Silent Film Festival.[2] In 2014 the film was made available online by the National Film Preservation Foundation.[3]"

a bump for tonight's airing :)