Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why do you say "but" it stars...     I worked with Amy Irving, she's an excellent actress, and I imagine would be good in the part. I haven't see the film but will record it. 

I said "but" because the post about the film didn't mention Amy Irving..........Instead of saying "I worked with Amy Irving", you should have said, "I knew Amy Irving, Amy Irving was a friend of mine. You, sir, are no Amy Irving".

Why do you say "but" it stars... 

If you look at the listing....her name isn't first, as the STAR:

8:00 PM Crossing Delancey (1988)  

An aging woman hires a matchmaker to find her independent granddaughter a man.

DirJoan Micklin Silver Cast:  Kathleen Wilhoite , Susan Sandler , Maria Antoinette Rogers .

C-97 mins, CC,

There's actually a thread about this listing mistake!

Glad there's some movie fans here that just "know" who the leads are.

Those listing stink when it comes to listing the cast but this has been the case for a long time now and it is well known by most of us here.

e.g. The Look Who's Taking cast list;  It doesn't include the two main stars; Alley and Travolta. 

• Like 1

Those listing stink when it comes to listing the cast but this has been the case for a long time now and it is well known by most of us here.

e.g. The Look Who's Taking cast list;  It doesn't include the two main stars; Alley and Travolta. 

I'm all for giving credit to the supporting players, but deleting the names of the stars from the listings is not necessarily the best way to do it.

tonight, 10-14 for                Robert Osborne's Picks.....

12:00 AM (ET)
Color
137 min
TV-MA
horror

Scientists use mind-control experiments to turn a gang leader against violence.

DirStanley Kubrick Cast: Malcolm McDowell, Patrick Magee , Adrienne Corri , Anthony Sharp .

Article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/71092/Clockwork-Orange-A/articles.html

tumblr_lz4u38Szgs1rn3wkzo1_500.jpg

my guess is Robert Osborne's picks are just Leave Her to Heaven and The Ghost and Mrs. Muir and from midnight on, it is the work of a more adventurous programmer.

Usually Bob stays on for the whole evening, for better or worse, oftentimes getting five films whereas most guest programmers get three or four. It's more typical for him to divert into questionable Hollywood musicals than what he's doing today, though.

I'm very surprised A Clockwork Orange is a premiere. A film a number of people here seem to dislike very strongly, which also surprised me, considering I got a real kick out of it when I saw it. Left me much more entertained than disturbed. (My time spent here has led me to believe I've a cruel and wicked imagination.)

• Like 1

tonight 10-15 for                 Trailblazing Women:  Essential Documentaries....

(co-hosted by director, Connie Field)

(times ET)

8:00 PM Araya (1959)

Cameras capture the workings of an ancient Venezuelan salt mine.

Dir: Margot Benacerraf

BW-83 mins,

11:30 PM Life and Times of Rosie the Riveter, The (1980)

Interviews and rare film clips capture the lives of women doing factory work during World War II.

DirConnie Field CastWanita Allen , Gladys Belcher , Lola Weixel .

C-65 mins, CC,

12:45 AM Portrait of Jason (1967)

An aspiring entertainer reveals what it means to be black and gay in the '60s.

DirShirley Clarke CastJason Holliday ,

BW-108 mins, CC,

2:45 AM Decline of Western Civilization, The (1981)

Documentary cameras capture the thriving Los Angeles punk scene of the early 1980s.

DirPenelope Spheeris CastNicole Olivieri , Michelle , Philomena .

C-100 mins, CC,

What did Robert Osborne say about A CLOCKWORK ORANGE that indicated his recommendation was not wholehearted?

It was kind of funny. He said he walked out on a preview of the film during the early scene where Malcolm McDowell beats up a lady while singing Singin' in the Rain. Apparently that kind of Gene Kelly reference was too much for Bob to take, as he said "Not what I wanted to see in a movie!" He said it was years later before he gave it a real chance, and was "mesmerized," as he put it. Sometimes critics come around by peer pressure; or possibly they had to strap him down and clamp his eyes open.

• Like 3

It was kind of funny. He said he walked out on a preview of the film during the early scene where Malcolm McDowell beats up a lady while singing Singin' in the Rain. Apparently that kind of Gene Kelly reference was too much for Bob to take, as he said "Not what I wanted to see in a movie!" He said it was years later before he gave it a real chance, and was "mesmerized," as he put it. Sometimes critics come around by peer pressure; or possibly they had to strap him down and clamp his eyes open.

I never saw A CLOCKWORK ORANGE. Knowing myself, if I did, I'd never again be able to watch the Gene Kelly performance without thinking of McDowell.

• Like 1

late Sat., 10-17 for                  TCM Underground....

2:30 AM (ET)
Color
100 min
TV-MA
documentary

The L.A. punk scene is taken over by glam metal.

DirPenelope Spheeris CastSteven Tyler , Joe Perry , J Holmes

Article: http://moviemorlocks...avy-metal-1981/

followed by @ 4:15am ET by previously aired (animated),  "Heavy Metal" ('81)

• Like 1

Hopefully they at least provided him with plenty of eye drops.

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE is a mesmerizing experience.

The change of opinion that Robert Osborne mentions can also happen the other way around: wondering why you loved a particular movie after seeing it again years later.

• Like 1

Sun., 10-18 under       Lost and Found..... 

Article: http://www.tcm.com/t...ound-10-18.html

(times ET)

8:00 PM Grim Game, The (1919)     (Brane Zivcovic score)

Harry Houdini plays a young man who is wrongfully jailed for murder and murder and must escape to save his fiance.

DirIrvin Willat Cast:Harry Houdini,  Thomas Jefferson , Ann Forrest , Mae Busch .

BW-72 mins,

9:30 PM Sherlock Holmes (1916)

The legendary sleuth locks wits with Professor Moriarty to save a girl kidnapped by blackmailers.

DirArthur Berthelet Cast: William Gillette,   Edward Fielding , Chester Beery , Fred Malatesta .

BW-117 mins,

11:45 PM Grim Game, The (1919)     (Steve Sterner score)

DirIrvin Willat Cast:  Harry Houdini,  Thomas Jefferson , Ann Forrest , Mae Busch .

BW-72 mins,

1:15 AM Round-Up, The (1920)

An overweight sheriff helps a young man falsely accused of theft.

DirGeorge H. Melford Cast:  Roscoe Arbuckle,   Irving Cummings , Edward Sutherland , Lucien Littlefield .

BW-70 mins,

2:30 AM Life of the Party, The (1920)

A party during a blizzard throws a mayoral candidate into compromising situations.

DirJoseph Henabery CastRoscoe Arbuckle , Julia Faye , Ben Lewis .

BW-55 mins,

& late Sun., 10-18 for               TCM Imports....

3:45 AM (ET)
Color
108 min
TV-14
drama
No End (1984)

A recent widow copes with her grief in Soviet-controlled Poland.

DirKrzysztof Kieslowski CastGrazyna Szapolowska , Michal Bajor , Danny Webb .

Article: http://www.tcm.com/t...d/articles.html

070803125413_l.jpg

Sun., 10-18 under       Lost and Found..... 

Article: http://www.tcm.com/t...ound-10-18.html

(times ET)

8:00 PM Grim Game, The (1919)     (Brane Zivcovic score)

Harry Houdini plays a young man who is wrongfully jailed for murder and murder and must escape to save his fiance.

DirIrvin Willat Cast:Harry Houdini,  Thomas Jefferson , Ann Forrest , Mae Busch .

BW-72 mins,

9:30 PM Sherlock Holmes (1916)

The legendary sleuth locks wits with Professor Moriarty to save a girl kidnapped by blackmailers.

DirArthur Berthelet Cast: William Gillette,   Edward Fielding , Chester Beery , Fred Malatesta .

BW-117 mins,

11:45 PM Grim Game, The (1919)     (Steve Sterner score)

DirIrvin Willat Cast:  Harry Houdini,  Thomas Jefferson , Ann Forrest , Mae Busch .

BW-72 mins,

DirGeorge H. Melford Cast:  Roscoe Arbuckle,   Irving Cummings , Edward Sutherland , Lucien Littlefield .

BW-70 mins,

2:30 AM Life of the Party, The (1920)

A party during a blizzard throws a mayoral candidate into compromising situations.

DirJoseph Henabery CastRoscoe Arbuckle , Julia Faye , Ben Lewis .

BW-55 mins,

& late Sun., 10-18 for               TCM Imports....

3:45 AM (ET)
Color

108 min

TV-14

drama
No End (1984)

A recent widow copes with her grief in Soviet-controlled Poland.

DirKrzysztof Kieslowski CastGrazyna Szapolowska , Michal Bajor , Danny Webb .

Article: http://www.tcm.com/t...d/articles.html

070803125413_l.jpg

just a bump for tonight....

BW-70 mins,

____________________________________________________________________________________

This seems like such an odd description for this movie!

• Like 1

As a huge Houdini fan, I own the Kino collection of all of HH's films. While it's great seeing the great Houdini on film, the series is rather dated & dull and only recommended for fans as an oddity.

Tues., 10-20 for                     Trailblazing Women:  The '90s Mainstream Hits......

(times ET)

2:45 AM Wrestling Ernest Hemingway (1993)  

Two lonely retirees become friends despite personal differences.

DirRanda Haines Cast: Robt. Duvall, Shirley MacLaine, Richard Harris,   Marty Belafsky , Chick Bernhardt , Ilse Earl .

C-123 mins, CC,

5:00 AM Home for the Holidays (1995)  

A single mom faces Thanksgiving with her domineering mother and sister.

DirJodie Foster Cast: Holly Hunter, Robt. Downey Jr., Anne Bancroft,  Charles Durning , Steve Guttenberg , Johnny Tonini .

C-104 mins, CC,

• Like 1

Home for the Holidays and Wrestling Ernest Hemingway are both premiers on TCM yet they are shown late at night and/or early in the morning. What gives? Both are good films with talented casts. Haven't seen WEH in awhile, but I have a old VHS of HFTH and watch it nearly every year 'round Thanksgiving time. Why didn't TCM wait to show it then? Or at least show it again for the holidays on prime time? This, to me, makes no sense. I'd love to have the programming job, as I'm sure some of y'all would, too!!

• Like 2

Home for the Holidays and Wrestling Ernest Hemingway are both premiers on TCM yet they are shown late at night and/or early in the morning. What gives?

Noting when they were made, my guess would be language content or possibly nudity.

I was excited to see FRANCES (1982) scheduled on TCM a few years ago, as I hadn't seen it since 1982. It was on "overnight" so I recorded it. I couldn't understand WHY it was shown so late at night? 

Watching the recording, I noticed a scene that showed Jessica Lange's bare bottom.

Whoa, nudity was so shocking guess I had forgotten it was there.

Thurs., 10-22 for        Trailblazing Women:  African-American Independents....

(co-host, director Julie Dash)

(times ET)

8:00 PM Losing Ground (1982)

A philosophy professor responds to her husband's philandering by pursuing fulfillment on her own.

DirKathleen Collins Cast: Seret Scott,  Bill Gunn , Duane Jones , Gary Bolling .

C-86 mins,

9:45 PM Daughters of the Dust (1991)

Three generations of Gullah women reunite in 1902 before the family emigrates to the North.

DirJulie Dash CastCora Lee Day , Alva Rogers, Bernard Wilson , Zenovia Green .

C-112 mins,

11:45 PM Just Another Girl on the I.R.T. (1992)

An African-American girl from Brooklyn fights to build a better life.

DirLeslie Harris CastAriyan Johnson , Jerard Washington , Tony Wilkes .

C-97 mins, CC,

1:30 AM Middle of Nowhere (2012)

When her husband is sent to prison, a medical student drops out to protect his needs.

DirAva Duvernay Cast: Ariyan Johnson,  Nehemiah Sutton , Troy Curvey III , Dondré Whitfield .

C-101 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

3:15 AM Best Men (1997)

On the way to his wedding, a recently released convict gets caught up in a bank robbery.

DirTamra Davis Cast: Dean Cain, Andy Dick, Luke Wilson,  K. K. Dodds , Peter Zusman , William Martin Brennan .

C-90 mins, CC, Letterbox Format