Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sun., 6-16 for                            TCM Imports........

(times ET)

2:00 AM

News From Home ( 1976)

A female film director explores New York City while enduring demanding letters from her mother.

Dir Chantal Akerman

C- 89 mins,

"....... letters heard in Akerman's voiceover. These are letters the filmmaker actually received from her mother, Natalia Akerman, a Holocaust survivor and fretful parent who later became the subject of No Home Movie, the documentary Akerman finished shortly before committing suicide in 2015. Viewers aware of this history will find the soundtrack of News from Home all the more poignant. ..."

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/481255/News-From-Home/articles.html

3:45 AM

Les Rendez-vous d'Anna ( 1978)

While on a promotional tour, a female movie director deals with a series of people making unwanted demands.

Dir Chantal Akerman Cast Magali Noel , Helmut Griem , Aurore ClTment .

C- 128 mins,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Rendez-vous_d'Anna

• Like 2

late Fri., 6-21 for                       Underground II.....

4:30 AM (ET)                          Whoo-Hoo!.....Tim Carey!!  :D;)
C - 116 m

drama
Fast-Walking (1982)

Synopsis: A corrupt prison guard is hired first to help a black revolutionary escape, then to kill him.

DirGeorge Robotham Cast:  James Woods, Timothy Carey , Kay Lenz, Susan Tyrell, Lance Le Gault , Helen Page Camp .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast-Walking

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083930/reviews?ref_=tt_ql_3

late Sun., 6-23 for                            TCM Imports........

2:00 AM (ET)
B/W -97 min.

genre_NONE_expanded.gif
Pitfall (1962)

Synopsis:  " A man and his young son arrive at a town where the father has been told he can find work as a miner, only to discover it is deserted (or so it seems). They eventually become residents of this place of lost souls."

DirHiroshi Teshigahara CastHisashi Igawa , Sumie Sasaki , Sen Yano .

"..... very real concerns about the corruption of Japanese society are folded into a story weaving together murder, treachery, a mysterious man in white and ghosts, an approach that has earned the picture a reputation as a horror film as well as an example of the Japanese New Wave.

An unsettling and unconventional sound design and a visual style that superimposes the realm of the dead onto stark, barren landscapes contribute to the surreal atmosphere of desolation and anxiety......"

see TCM article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/557977/Pitfall/articles.html

• Like 1

Tue s., 6-25 for                        Disney Vault Treasures....

(times ET)

8:00 PM

Moon-Spinners, The ( 1964)

Dir James Neilson Cast Hayley Mills , Eli Wallach , Pola Negri .

BW- 119 mins, CC,

10:15 PM

Bone Bandit ( 1948)

Dir Charles A Nichols

BW- 7 mins, CC,

10:25 PM

Littlest Horse Thieves, The ( 1976)

Dir Charles Jarrott Cast Leslie Sands , Maurice Colbourne , Chloe Franks .

BW- 104 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

12:15 AM

Robber Kitten, The ( 1935)

BW- 8 mins, CC,

12:25 AM

North Avenue Irregulars, The ( 1979)

Dir Bruce Bilson Cast Douglas Fowley , Walt Larue , Kim Bullard .

BW- 100 mins, CC,

2:15 AM

Emil and the Detectives ( 1964)

Dir Peter Tewksbury Cast Walter Slezak , Bryan Russell , Roger Mobley .

BW- 99 mins, CC,

4:00 AM

Never A Dull Moment ( 1968)

Dir Jerry Paris Cast Dick Van Dyke , Edward G. Robinson , Dorothy Provine .

BW- 100 mins, CC,

(click titles for info)

Wed., 6-26 for                            SOTM:  Jane Powell......

8:00 PM (ET)
B/W - 82

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis:  strictly on the end of the spectrum as a kitschy B movie. The story centers on a love triangle featuring an aging movie star (Hedy Lamarr), the handsome extra who saves her life (George Nader) and the adopted daughter who shares her mother's penchant for liquor (Jane Powell).

DirHarry Keller CastHedy Lamarr , Jane Powell , Jan Sterling .

"......... While the film did not do well at the box office, it deserves more attention than it has received over the years. It's got a fantastic cast of players including Jan Sterling, who plays Lily Frayne, another aging actress holding on to any semblance of her youth, and James Gleason who has a small role as bartender Tom Maloney. Powell delivers by inhabiting quite a sexy performance. ..."

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/74733/Female-Animal-The/articles.html

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 Harry Keller. Hedy Lamarr, Jane Powell, Jan Sterling, George Nader.

Sad waste of Lamarr as mature Hollywood star who grapples with adopted daughter Powell over Nader. CinemaScope.

Here are the TCM premieres for July, as determined by MovieCollectorOH’s report published on June 5. Note that on Saturdays TCM is premiering episodes of the Lost City of the Jungle serial along with selected cartoons, so these are listed separately.

Jul 2 - Frau im Mond (1929)
Jul 7 - Il bidone (1955)
Jul 8 - The Cremators (1972)
Jul 11 - Tab Hunter Confidential (2015) (doc.) (2 showings)
Jul 14 - Veronika Voss (1982)
Jul 20 - An Optical Poem (1938) (animated short)
Jul 21 - Pigs and Battleships (1961)
Jul 21 - Branded to Kill (1967)
Jul 22 - The Green-Eyed Blonde (1957)
Jul 28 - Le samouraï (1967)
Jul 28 - Swann in Love (1984)
Jul 29 - Rage (1966)
Jul 30 - Star Wars (1977) (also shown on Jul 31)

- Saturdays: Lost City of the Jungle serial
Jul 6 - Lost City of the Jungle Ch. 8: Fire Jet Torture (1946)
Jul 13 - Lost City of the Jungle Ch. 9: Zalabor Death Watch (1946)
Jul 20 - Lost City of the Jungle Ch. 10: Booby Trap Rendezvous (1946)
Jul 27 - Lost City of the Jungle Ch. 11: Pendrang Guillotine (1946)

- Saturdays: cartoons
Jul 6 - MGM: The Little Mole (1941)
Jul 6 - Popeye: Big Chief Ugh-Amugh-Ugh (1933)
Jul 13 - MGM: One Ham's Family (1943)
Jul 13 - Popeye: I Yam Love Sick (1938)
Jul 20 - MGM: Poultry Pirates (1938)
Jul 20 - Popeye: Plumbing is a "Pipe" (1938)
Jul 27 - MGM: Tom Turkey and His Harmonica Humdingers (1940)
Jul 27 - Popeye: The Jeep (1938)

Thanks as always to MCOH!

• Thanks 2

Fri., 6-28 for                        Stonewall.....

(times ET)

Some of My Best Friends Are... ( 1971)

the melancholic frustrations of the gay community post-Stonewall, as reflected in a diverse assemblage of people frequenting a Greenwich Village gay bar on Christmas Eve.

Dir Mervyn Nelson Cast Tom Bade , David Baker , Paul Blake .

BW- 110 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

".... a rough piece of filmmaking, replete with uninspired camerawork, splotchy lighting and muddled sound recording. And while the film is lauded for its emotional authenticity, it also traffics in its fair share of clichs about queer culture and identity which are especially glaring from the vantage point of almost 50 years' hindsight...."

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/90739/Some-of-My-Best-Friends-Are-/articles.html

Underground....

2:00 AM

Myra Breckinridge ( 1970)

Myra (Raquel Welch) takes on toxic masculinity in the form of her uncle, former cowboy star Buck Loner (John Huston), and an overly macho male student (Roger Herren).

Dir Michael Sarne Cast Mae West , John Huston , Raquel Welch .

BW- 94 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

".... the film hardly seems the disaster it was dubbed at the time. Although West's dialogue had been recycled from her stage appearances in the 1940s and 1950s, it was new to film and often quite funny. Welch actually pulls off some of her comic scenes, creating a stylized performance as Myra that looks much better today than it did in 1970. The film's revolutionary sexual politics, although somewhat watered down from Vidal's original novel, have led to sporadic revivals at gay film festivals. "

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/84433/Myra-Breckinridge/articles.html

Sun., 6-30

(times ET)

B/W - 92 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif
Claudia (1943)

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 Edmund Goulding. Dorothy McGuire, Robert Young, Ina Claire, Reginald Gardiner, Olga Baclanova, Jean Howard.

Warm comedy of young Claudia suddenly marrying, facing adult problems, learning a lot about life in short period; beautifully acted. McGuire, in film debut, recreates her Broadway role. Sequel: CLAUDIA AND DAVID.

10:00 PM
B/W - 78 m

TV-G

Closed
Captions
genre_NONE_expanded.gif

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 Walter Lang. Dorothy McGuire, Robert Young, Mary Astor, John Sutton, Gail Patrick, Florence Bates.

Enjoyable follow- up to CLAUDIA with McGuire and Young having a baby, adjusting to suburban life; engaging, well acted.

================================================

TCM Imports......

4:45 AM
B/W - 100 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif
Deprisa, Deprisa (1981)     (aka Faster, Faster and Fast, Fast. )

Synopsis:  Four juvenile delinquents commit robberies in the streets of Madrid to finance their vices.
DirCarlos Saura CastBerta Socuellamos , Jesus Arias Aranzeque , Jose Hervais Roldan .

"... a raw and sobering portrait of a generation at an existential crossroads, struggling to find mooring and direction in an uncertain climate of transformative, social revolution, as Spain emerged from the repression of fascism towards the liberalization of democracy ...."

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deprisa,_Deprisa

• Thanks 1

The Triumph of Sherlock Holmes (1935), which was originally scheduled as a TCM premiere for the morning of Wednesday July 3, has been removed from the schedule.  (The schedule was changed to list all 12 episodes of the Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe serial showing late on Tuesday.)

The list of premieres for July above has been changed accordingly.

• Thanks 1

Tues., 7-2 for                          TCM SPOTLIGHT: OUT OF THIS WORLD ....

11:15 PM (ET)
B/W - 170 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis:   A scientist discovers that there's gold on the moon, he builds a rocket to fly there, but there's too much rivalry among the crew to have a successful expedition.

DirFritz Lang CastKlaus Pohl , Gerda Maurus , Gerhard Dammann .

"..... Lang, who also made Metropolis, had a personal interest in science fiction. When returning to Germany in the late 1950s he sold his extensive collection of Astounding Science Fiction, Weird Tales, and Galaxy magazines.[3] Several prescient technical/operational features are presented during the film's 1920's launch sequence, which subsqequently came into common operational use during America's postwar space race: ........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woman_in_the_Moon

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 Fritz Lang. Klaus Pohl, Willy Fritsch, Gustav von Wangenheim, Gerda Maurus, Fritz Rasp.

"This lesser Lang effort, his last silent film, is about a spaceship and its trip to the moon. It's slow and way overlong, and it pales beside his brilliant METROPOLIS."

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Tues., 7-2 for                          TCM SPOTLIGHT: OUT OF THIS WORLD ....

11:15 PM (ET)
B/W - 170 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis:   A scientist discovers that there's gold on the moon, he builds a rocket to fly there, but there's too much rivalry among the crew to have a successful expedition.

DirFritz Lang CastKlaus Pohl , Gerda Maurus , Gerhard Dammann .

"..... Lang, who also made Metropolis, had a personal interest in science fiction. When returning to Germany in the late 1950s he sold his extensive collection of Astounding Science Fiction, Weird Tales, and Galaxy magazines.[3] Several prescient technical/operational features are presented during the film's 1920's launch sequence, which subsqequently came into common operational use during America's postwar space race: ........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woman_in_the_Moon

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 Fritz Lang. Klaus Pohl, Willy Fritsch, Gustav von Wangenheim, Gerda Maurus, Fritz Rasp.

"This lesser Lang effort, his last silent film, is about a spaceship and its trip to the moon. It's slow and way overlong, and it pales beside his brilliant METROPOLIS."

I have this movie on Blu-ray. Yeah, it's no Metropolis, but I still like it, and Fritz Rasp is a great pseudo-Nazi bad guy. 

3405331851_79fd53cb89_z.jpg

060918i-Woman-in-the-Moon.jpg

• Like 1

A very good film but the science in it is a bit odd. "Only half of the moon has an atmosphere and it's also the half facing away from the sun." :lol: 

• Thanks 1

Sun., 7-7 for                      TCM Imports........

4:15 AM (ET)
B/W - 91 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif
Il Bidone (1955)

Synopsis:
DirFederico Fellini CastBroderick Crawford , Richard Basehart , Franco Fabrizi .

" Although the overall mood of the film is lightly suspenseful, the climax arrives with a joltingly unexpected plot twist and the finale is starkly tragic, relieved only by the knowledge that a sort of rough justice has finally been served on at least one of the crooked main characters. ....."

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/92125/Il-Bidone/articles.html

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 Federico Fellini. Broderick Crawford, Giulietta Masina, Richard Basehart, Franco Fabrizi.

"Absorbing Fellini tale, which he co-scripted, about a trio of small-time crooks who go about fleecing peasants in Italy, each planning for a better life. The spotlight is on the eldest, a world-weary loser nicely played by Crawford. Not among the director's best; still an intriguing portrait of hope and desperation.

Aka THE SWINDLERS. Original title: IL BIDONE."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 7/3/2019 at 3:25 PM, MovieCollectorOH said:

Updates to my project are in for this month.  No new months added since last time.  If Oct comes out within a week or so, I'll roll it in.
http://www.moviecollectoroh.com

BTW, I was just looking at your site, and are you sure you have the correct Ascent?  There were two movies by that title in 1977, and I know TCM ran the Larisa Shepitko movie since TCM Imports is how I saw it.

7 minutes ago, Fedya said:

BTW, I was just looking at your site, and are you sure you have the correct Ascent?  There were two movies by that title in 1977, and I know TCM ran the Larisa Shepitko movie since TCM Imports is how I saw it.

I seem to recall that when it was scheduled, they had the wrong info up on the TCM schedule. I figured it was the Shepitko film, because iirc, it was paired with her other film Wings (1966).

4 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Sun., 7-7 for                      TCM Imports........

4:15 AM (ET)
B/W - 91 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif
Il Bidone (1955)

Synopsis:
DirFederico Fellini CastBroderick Crawford , Richard Basehart , Franco Fabrizi .

" Although the overall mood of the film is lightly suspenseful, the climax arrives with a joltingly unexpected plot twist and the finale is starkly tragic, relieved only by the knowledge that a sort of rough justice has finally been served on at least one of the crooked main characters. ....."

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/92125/Il-Bidone/articles.html

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 Federico Fellini. Broderick Crawford, Giulietta Masina, Richard Basehart, Franco Fabrizi.

"Absorbing Fellini tale, which he co-scripted, about a trio of small-time crooks who go about fleecing peasants in Italy, each planning for a better life. The spotlight is on the eldest, a world-weary loser nicely played by Crawford. Not among the director's best; still an intriguing portrait of hope and desperation.

Aka THE SWINDLERS. Original title: IL BIDONE."

bump for Sunday :)

11 hours ago, Fedya said:

Thanks, will show up next update.

11 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I seem to recall that when it was scheduled, they had the wrong info up on the TCM schedule. I figured it was the Shepitko film, because iirc, it was paired with her other film Wings (1966).

Two conflicting AKA title/year pairs that went unnoticed, sounds like TCM had something similar happen on their end, with the way they bring AFI data into their schedule.

I even recorded this one for myself, from one of the earlier airings where it was actually listed correctly in the schedule (just cross-checked this).

Mon.,7-8

6:15 PM (ET)
B/W - 100 m

TV-PG

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis: An alien life form that is a huge ball of living matter invades earth, and replenishes itself by absorbing people.

DirHarry Essex CastMason Caulfield , Marvin C. Howard , Maria Di Aragon .

"...... The story combines features from black comedy and horror (comedy horror). It is often recognized as a follower of German Expressionist film[2] and also as an example of the Czechoslovak New Wave. ... The Cremator is often considered to be one of the best movies ever made in Czechoslovakia. It has also gathered a prominent cult following ....

the films reaction were different in every country, noting that "In Prague, people were depressed; in Slovakia, they laughed; in the Netherlands, it was a comedy from the beginning to the end"[9]TV Guide awarded the film 3/5 stars, stating that "Hrusinsky's scary performance highlights this morbid, darkly funny work."[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cremator

• Like 2
On 7/7/2019 at 7:16 PM, mr6666 said:

Mon.,7-8

6:15 PM (ET)
B/W - 100 m

TV-PG

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis: An alien life form that is a huge ball of living matter invades earth, and replenishes itself by absorbing people.

DirHarry Essex CastMason Caulfield , Marvin C. Howard , Maria Di Aragon .

This information is all incorrect. It's for the 1972 B movie and is completely unrelated. It listed the same plot on my television as well.

• Sad 1
14 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

This information is all incorrect. It's for the 1972 B movie and is completely unrelated. It listed the same plot on my television as well.

A spectacular example of "garbage in, garbage out".  :D

This one might be a bit harder to figure out, but let's see what happened. 

Here are the IMDB entries for both movies.

-------------

Original Title:
Spalovac mrtvol (1969)

AKA titles:
Cremator (1969)
Der Leichenverbrenner (1970)
L'uomo che bruciava i cadaveri (1969)
The Cremator (1969)

--------------

Original Title:
The Cremators (1972)

AKA:
Dune Rollers (1972)

-----------

And here is the entry copied and pasted as-is from the schedule, including formatting.

6:15 PM

Cremators, The ( 1969)

Dir Harry Essex Cast Mason Caulfield , Marvin C. Howard , Maria Di Aragon .

BW- 100 mins,

-----------

There is no "s" on the end of the title.  That throws it off, apparently even for TCM.

I recorded it for the B movie, but I'll be happy to watch this instead.

Keep those corrections coming in, whether you see an error with my work or with the TCM schedule, as that does help me out. 

• Thanks 1

Thurs., 7-11 for                            Tab Hunter........

8:00 PM & 1:30 AM (ET)
B/W - 90 m

TV-PG

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis: When Tab Hunter's autobiography, Tab Hunter Confidential which dealt openly with the dichotomy between his public image and private life, appeared in 2005, it shot to the top of the best-seller lists and inspired this award-winning 2015 documentary.

DirJeffrey Schwarz CastTab Hunter , Robert Wagner , Clint Eastwood .

....David Friend of Vanity Fair calling it, "slick, savvy, rollicking, and eye-popping....Tab Hunter Confidential is not only brave for its candor and enlightening for the social context it provides, it is also a delightful eyeful, using ingeniously edited vintage clips and employing rarely seen still photos...."

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/2194594/Tab-Hunter-Confidential/articles.html