Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mr6666

TCM Premieres

1 hour ago, cmovieviewer said:

Yes, it's getting harder to find good punch-card operators these days 😉

Now that I know to check for gaps, I won't immediately assume that a title has been dropped from the schedule.  Whatever the cause, it seems to be showing up in the daily, weekly, and monthly schedules consistently.  Would be nice if they could get this fixed.  Hopefully the on-screen cable guides are correct on the day of the show?

Perhaps...  I set mine to record using a 3rd party schedule provider service which uses the same sources ordinary cable/satellite provider DVRs use.  I set Ebirah -- Horror Of The Deep to record on my DVR computer, and it recorded.  I moved that over to my editing computer, along with some other stuff, and it is definitely there. 

I didn't get the three headed monster which aired earlier, but that was my own fault as I didn't decide to record these until some had already aired.  (I had most of the earlier aired ones already.)

People that use cable/satellite DVRs as intended may have more instantaneous, and hence erroneous results.  Or not.  That much I don't know.

P.S. Their schedules are now posted on a server with a more limited data plan perhaps? :P

• Haha 1

tonight 10-17 for                                Ghost Stories.........

3:45 AM (ET)
B/W - 100 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif
Kuroneko (1968)

Synopsis:  the spirits of a woman and her daughter-in-law seek revenge after losing their lives to a brutal incident.

DirKaneto Shindo CastKichiemon Nakamura , Nobuko Otowa , Kiwako Taichi

...one of those glacially beautiful, stylized exercises in supernatural themes that the Japanese excel in." As a protg of the revered director Kenji Mizoguchi, Shindo adopted his master's sympathy for the plight of women. Gender politics enter into the ghost story, as defenseless women return from the dead to exact a bloody revenge. ..

Reviewers praised Kaneto Shindo's stylized, genuinely frightening tale of horror. The unsettling film contrasts beautiful images against convincing gore makeup and accompanies its fright scenes with strange sound effects that blend with Hikaru Hayashi's music score. ......

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/80499/Kuroneko/articles.html

Looks like TCM has (for now) fixed the scheduling system so that future premieres are being listed on the schedule again (no gaps).  For example, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (1970) and That's Life (1986) are showing up on the schedule for the 25th and 29th respectively.  The monthly schedule for October does seem to be listing blank titles for days that are now in the past, but that certainly is not a big deal as long as the movie listings for the current day and future days are correct.

I'm still curious what will be shown during Silent Sundays on the 27th. The Haunted Hotel (1907) is scheduled for 12:00AM ET, but it's only 7 minutes long. The time slot, though, is a full two hours, with the next scheduled film being the TCM Imports showing of The Living Skeleton (1968) at 2:00AM ET. If I don't have TCM beck by then, which is a strong likelihood, I hope someone will post about what else was shown during that 2 hours.

Fri., 10-18 for                     MOTM:  Godzilla.....

(times ET)

8:00 PM

All Monsters Attack ( 1969)

Dir Inoshiro Honda Cast Kenji Sahara , Tomonori Yazaki , Machiko Naka .

BW- 70 mins, Letterbox Format

9:30 PM

Godzilla vs. Hedorah ( 1971)

Dir Yoshimitsu Banno Cast Akira Yamauchi , Toshie Kimura , Hiroyuki Kawase .

BW- 85 mins, Letterbox Format

11:15 PM

Godzilla vs. Gigan ( 1972)

Dir Jun Fukuda Cast Haruo Nakajima , Yukietsu Omiya , Kanta Ina .

BW- 89 mins, Letterbox Format

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I'm still curious what will be shown during Silent Sundays on the 27th. The Haunted Hotel (1907) is scheduled for 12:00AM ET, but it's only 7 minutes long. The time slot, though, is a full two hours, with the next scheduled film being the TCM Imports showing of The Living Skeleton (1968) at 2:00AM ET. If I don't have TCM beck by then, which is a strong likelihood, I hope someone will post about what else was shown during that 2 hours.

Lawrence,

Some of the online schedule sources are listing Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920) starting at 12 am ET on the evening of the 27th, so that may resolve the mystery (1 hour 22 minute run time per IMDB).  Also sorry to hear that you may be joining the ranks of those going without TCM.

• Thanks 1

Sun., 10-20 for                       Ozzie & Harriet.....

(times ET)

B/W - 76 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis: The tranquility of the Nelson home is shattered when Ozzie and Harriet are pitted against one another in a game of tolerance while trying to keep their emotions at bay. Meanwhile, Ricky is kidnapped at the Fair by a pair of hoodlums

DirFrederick de Cordova CastOzzie Nelson , Harriet Nelson , David Nelson .

see:  http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/77842/Here-Come-the-Nelsons/articles.html

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 Frederick de Cordova. Ozzie, Harriet, David, Ricky Nelson, Rock Hudson, Ann Doran, Jim Backus, Barbara Lawrence, Sheldon Leonard, Gale Gordon.

Expanded version of radio's Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet, spotlighting a series of typical, comical situations. Light, predictable fare that paved the way for the long-running TV series.

also Sun., 10-20 for                TCM Imports......

2:00 AM

Unknown Pleasures ( 2002)

follows the aimless lives of three disaffected young people.

Dir Jia Zhang-Ke Cast Zhao Tao , Zhao Wei , Wu Qiong .

BW- 112 mins, Letterbox Format

.... The theme of alienation is reflected in Zhangke's filmmaking style. He uses long takes, a technique particularly suited to work in digital video as in Unknown Pleasures, to create a minimalist vision of life that captures his characters' isolation. Those takes contain nuances of his characters' behavior, creating a highly realistic picture of contemporary Chinese life. ...

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/444610/Unknown-Pleasures/articles.html

4:00 AM

World, The ( 2004)

An amusement park security guard is smitten by a showgirl. Tao and Taisheng are lovers who work in the park, however, their romance doesn't unfold smoothly.

Dir Jia Zhang-Ke Cast Zhao Tao , , Jing Jue .

BW- 140 mins, Letterbox Format

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/607847/World-The/articles.html

• Thanks 1

Wed., 10-23........

5:15 PM (ET)
B/W - 68 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis: follows the story of Army trainees during and after basic training, ... The diversion is provided by some of the best and most popular musical acts of the day.

DirEdward F. Cline CastThe Andrews Sisters , Dick Foran , Joe E. Lewis .

" This is one of those quickies put out during the war years as short (in this case, just over an hour) diversions for homefront audiences and GIs in training camps and overseas. Since it came fairly early in the war (May 1942 premiere) and follows the story of Army trainees during and after basic training, this also served as an upbeat recruitment tool. ...

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/87194/Private-Buckaroo/articles.html

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 Edward Cline. The Andrews Sisters, Dick Foran, Joe E. Lewis, Donald O'Connor, Peggy Ryan, Jennifer Holt.

Mini-musical from Universal Pictures is vehicle for 1940s favorite sister trio, accompanied by Harry James et al. in Army camp show.

Fri., 10-25                   MOTM:  Godzilla....

(times ET)

Godzilla vs. Megalon ( 1973)

Dir Jun Fukuda Cast Katsuhiko Sasaki , Hiroyuki Kawase , Yutaka Hayashi .

BW- 82 mins, Letterbox Format

9:30 PM

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla ( 1974)

Dir Jun Fukuda Cast Masaaki Daimon , Kazuya Aoyama , Reiko Tajima .

BW- 84 mins, Letterbox Format

11:00 PM

Terror of Mechagodzilla ( 1975)

Dir Inoshiro Honda Cast Katsuhiko Sasaki , Tomoko Ai , Toru Kawane .

BW- 83 mins, Letterbox Format

12:30 AM

War of the Gargantuas, The ( 1966)

Dir Ishiro Honda Cast Russ Tamblyn , Kumi Mizuno , Kenji Sahara .

BW- 88 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

PLUS...

2:15 AM

Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls ( 1970)

Dir Russ Meyer Cast Dolly Read , Cynthia Myers , Marcia McBroom .

BW- 109 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

late Sun., 10-27 for                      TCM Imports.........

2:00 AM (ET)
B/W - 80 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis:  " a macabre grab bag complete with a violent curtain raiser involving a massacre at sea by vicious pirates, a seaside malediction involving a ghost ship, twin sisters persecuted by the oceanside town's grisly past, a dollop of Catholicism and, of course, those uncanny skeletons beneath the waves. ..."

DirHiroshi Matsuno CastKikko Matsuoka , Yasunori Irikawa , Masumi Okada .

"... the film would seem to fall in the Japanese kaidan tradition of subdued, evocative ghost stories, but in execution it's something far more eccentric and indebted to international horror and suspense classics. ....

see TCM article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/2003132/Living-Skeleton-The/articles.html

:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tues., 10-29 for                GUEST PROGRAMMER: JULIE ANDREWS ......

1:30 AM (ET)
B/W - 102 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif
That's Life! (1986)

Synopsis:  Jack Lemmon is Harvey Fairchild, a successful architect whose depression and anxiety are heightened by his upcoming 60th birthday party, adding to an impending nervous breakdown. His wife Gillian, played by Julie Andrews, is supportive of him, but she is quietly suffering with a potential health crisis that she keeps secret ....

DirBlake Edwards CastDana Sparks , Scott L Mckenna , Eddie Vail .

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/92734/That-s-Life-/articles.html

...."That's Life" has many moments of truth and some good performances. But it's not all of a piece; not every scene seems to have been thought through on the same level. Tone is everything in a film like this. Unless you establish one, how can you get laughs by violating it? Edwards seems to switch at random from subtle social satire to broad physical comedy, and it's too distracting. ....."

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/thats-life-1986

Just now, mr6666 said:

Tues., 10-29 for                GUEST PROGRAMMER: JULIE ANDREWS ......

1:30 AM
B/W - 102 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif
That's Life! (1986)

Synopsis:  Jack Lemmon is Harvey Fairchild, a successful architect whose depression and anxiety are heightened by his upcoming 60th birthday party, adding to an impending nervous breakdown. His wife Gillian, played by Julie Andrews, is supportive of him, but she is quietly suffering with a potential health crisis that she keeps secret ....

DirBlake Edwards CastDana Sparks , Scott L Mckenna , Eddie Vail .

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/92734/That-s-Life-/articles.html

That's Life is not in B&W. They weren't releasing too many B&W features in 1986.

ThatsLife.JPG

I thought the movie was pretty awful, but die-hard fans of the stars may like it more than I did.

• Thanks 2

Here are the TCM premieres for November, as determined by MovieCollectorOH’s report published on October 5. Note that on Saturdays TCM is premiering episodes of the Jungle Queen serial along with selected cartoons, so these are listed separately.

Nov 1 - Viva Knievel! (1977)
Nov 1 - Caged Heat (1974)
Nov 3 - Capricious Summer (1968)
Nov 6 - Image Makers: The Adventures of America's Pioneer Cinematographers (2019) (doc.)
            (also shown on 9th, 13th, 27th)
Nov 8 - The Big Picture (1989)
Nov 8 - Black Gunn (1972)
Nov 8 - The Take (1974)
Nov 9 - The Perfect Tribute (1935) (short)
Nov 10 - Teorema (1968)
Nov 15 - Making Mr. Right (1987)
Nov 16 - The Pathfinder (1952)
Nov 17 - A Girl's Own Story (1986) (short)
Nov 17 - An Exercise in Discipline: Peel (1986) (short)
Nov 17 - Passionless Moments (1983) (short)
Nov 21 - John Ford, The Man Who Invented America (2018) (doc.)
Nov 29 - The Pyramid (1975)
Nov 30 - Alibi Racket (1935) (short)

- Saturdays: Jungle Queen serial
Nov 2 - Jungle Queen Ch. 7: Trip-wire Murder (1945)
Nov 9 - Jungle Queen Ch. 8: The Mortar Bomb (1945)
Nov 16 - Jungle Queen Ch. 9: Death Watch (1945)
Nov 23 - Jungle Queen Ch. 10: Execution Chamber (1945)
Nov 30 - Jungle Queen Ch. 11: The Trail of Doom (1945)

- Saturdays: cartoons
Nov 2 - MGM: Happy-Go-Nutty (1944)
Nov 2 - Popeye: Ghosk is the Bunk (1933)
Nov 9 - MGM: Honeyland (1935)
Nov 9 - Popeye: Hello, How Am I? (1939)
Nov 16 - MGM: Jitterbug Follies (1939)
Nov 16 - Popeye: It's the Natural Thing to Do (1939)
Nov 23 - MGM: Little Cheeser (1936)
Nov 23 - Popeye: Never Sock a Baby (1939)
Nov 30 - MGM: Little Buck Cheeser (1937)
Nov 30 - Popeye: Shakespearean Spinach (1933)

Thanks as always to MCOH!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

58 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

Nov 1 - Caged Heat (1974)

Nov 8 - Black Gunn (1972)

Nov 10 - Teorema (1968)

Them's is choice goodies.

On 10/28/2019 at 6:49 PM, LawrenceA said:

That's Life is not in B&W. They weren't releasing too many B&W features in 1986.

ThatsLife.JPG

I thought the movie was pretty awful, but die-hard fans of the stars may like it more than I did.

I saw it once several years ago and looked at bits of it again last night..... I remember the feeling the first time around that Lemmon's character was too much, and that Andrews by underplaying nicely (and getting that one excellent scene where she finally gives him a piece of her mind) was the best thing about the film and the main reason to watch, even though some of the other scenes were funny or touching.Her Golden Globe nomination, I felt, was deserved, and an Oscar nomination would not have been remiss. Looking at it again last night, Lemmon's character was still a bit too much , but after finding out about real-life parallels, it didn't grate on me quite as much and I noticed that quite a few of the scenes were deeply felt. In some ways, its one of the more intensely personal films of its era and kind of daring. But it is still true that it is still a tough nut to crack.

• Thanks 1

Fri., 11-1

(times ET)

4:15 PM
B/W - 104 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif
Viva Knievel! (1977)

Synopsis:  Knievel plays himself in a completely fictitious story about his comeback after a devastating motorcycle accident.
DirGordon Douglas CastRed Buttons , Sidney Clute , Robert Tafur .

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/94885/Viva-Knievel-/articles.html

2:15 AM                                         Underground.....
B/W - 80 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif
Caged Heat (1974)

Synopsis:  genre film that explores the oppression of women through the lens of prison life.
DirJonathan Demme CastJuanita Brown , Roberta Collins , Erica Gavin .

"...Caged Heat offered viewers all the classic elements of an exploitation film they enjoyed, in particular sex and sadistic violence, and added social critique that was both timely and relevant. It doesn't take itself or its audience too seriously and in the decades since, its release has become a cult classic among genre and exploitation film fans. "

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/70040/Caged-Heat/articles.html

• Like 2

Sun., 11-3 for                          TCM Imports..........

2:30 AM (ET)
B/W - 77 m

TV-14

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis:  ... three middle-aged men--a businessman (Rudolf Hrusnsk), a priest (Frantisek Rehk) and a military officer (Vlastimil Brodsk, who costarred in Closely Watched Trains)--who spend their days drinking and having good-natured arguments at a riverside bathhouse. They are jolted out of their routines by the arrival of a shabby traveling magician and tightrope walker (Menzel himself) and his beautiful young assistant (Jana Drchalov) .....

DirJirí Menzel CastRudolf Hru¿ínský , Vlastimil Brodský , Franti¿ek Rehák .

"...... as with all of his films, Menzel brings a warm, humanistic treatment to his characters and their foibles. "We all know that life is cruel and sad," Menzel once said. "What's the point of demonstrating this in films? Let us show that we're brave by laughing at life. And in that laughter let us not look for cynicism but rather reconciliation."

"Jiri Menzel's gentle, autumnal comedy is slightly oblique, like its title," wrote New York Times film critic Vincent Canby, ....

see:  http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/70214/Capricious-Summer/articles.html

W ed., 11-6 for                          TCM SPOTLIGHT: 100TH ANNIVERSARY OF AMERICAN SOCIETY OF CINEMATOGRAPHERS..............

8:00 PM & 12 AM (ET)
B/W - 91 m

TV-PG

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis:  celebrates the early visionaries who shaped and molded an art form into what it is today. The film focuses on seven early cinematographers who developed their craft through invention, practice and collaboration. These include Billy Bitzer (Intolerance [1916'], Way Down East [1920]), Charles Rosher (Sunrise [1927], The Yearling [1946]), Rollie Totheroh (City Lights [1931], The Gold Rush [1925]), William H. Daniels (Flesh and the Devil [1926], Anna Christie [1930]), Karl Struss (Sunrise [1927], Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde [31]), Gregg Toland (Citizen Kane [41], The Grapes of Wrath [40]) and James Wong Howe (The Thin Man [34], Hud [1963]) .........

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/2196145/Image-Makers-The-Adventures-of-America-s-Pioneer-Cinematographers/articles.html

DirDaniel Raim

Fri., 11-8 for                              DENNIS MILLER AND FRIENDS ............

(times ET)

Big Picture, The ( 1989)

"... stars Kevin Bacon as Nick Chapman, a filmmaking student who wins a student competition that lands him a contract in Hollywood. What happens from there, story-wise, is about what you'd expect: success goes to his head, failure comes knocking, Nick picks himself up and starts anew. But the plot isn't what matters. Oh no. It's the rotating lineup of incredible actors playing every scene they have to perfection. ...

remains one of the best satirical takes on the movie business ever made.......

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/68699/Big-Picture-The/articles.html

Dir Christopher Guest Cast Arlene Lorre , Tim Landers , Gary Kroeger .

BW- 102 mins, CC,

2:00 AM

Black Gunn ( 1972)

" about racial tension in L.A., as nightclub boss Jim Brown avenges his brother's death by leading black Vietnam veteran activists against the white mobsters who are responsible.

Dir Robert Hartford-Davis Cast Jim Brown , Martin Landau , Brenda Sykes .

BW- 97 mins, CC,

3:45 AM

Take, The ( 1974)

A police lieutenant who is taking bribes is keeping a front within the department by impressing his superior officers with his work on breaking up a big criminal gang.

Dir Robert Hartford-Davis Cast Billy Dee Williams , Eddie Albert , Frankie Avalon .

BW- 92 mins, CC,

late Sun., 11-10 for                    TCM Imports.........

2:00 AM (ET)
B/W - 96 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif
Teorema (1968)

Synopsis:  a character known only as The Visitor, a mysterious stranger who insinuates himself into the home and lives of a wealthy Milanese family and has erotic encounters with mother, son, daughter, maid and, with less overt sexuality, father. When he just as suddenly departs halfway through the story, each family member unravels and self-destructs in a manner consistent with their darkest desires and doubts and their individual encounters with The Visitor. ....

DirPier Paolo Pasolini CastTerence Stamp , Silvana Mangano , Massimo Girotti .

"..... The vantage point of distance over time has not occasioned a solid critical consensus. Teorema has been deemed "intolerably silly" (Pauline Kael, The New Yorker), "not a conventional chronicle of bourgeois depravity" but a film that "asks more troubling, cosmic questions" (John Patterson, The Guardian), a "perfect fusion of Marxism and religion...that is both a political allegory and mystical fable" (David Pirie, Time Out) .....

see:  http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/92557/Teorema/articles.html

:huh:

• Like 1

Another 'stealth' premiere?  The TCM schedules are currently showing a gap this coming Friday for what had been listed as the premiere of Making Mr. Right (1987) at 4:15 am ET (following Smithereens).

Since my cable guide is still listing the movie, at this point I'm going to assume TCM will show it as planned.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Another 'stealth' premiere?  The TCM schedules are currently showing a gap this coming Friday for what had been listed as the premiere of Making Mr. Right (1987) at 4:15 am ET (following Smithereens).

Since my cable guide is still listing the movie, at this point I'm going to assume TCM will show it as planned.

My Directv on-screen guide still shows it, and so does my subscription to Schedules Direct.  So this seems to just be their output to their website and/or their website.  Even though it is apparently still in their system and in the pipeline to the respective schedule providers without any issue.

• Thanks 1