Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mr6666

TCM Premieres

43 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

I watch TCM regularly and not once did I hear about this documentary! I would have loved to see something on the history of blackface and the movies. Maybe it is on "Watch TCM".

Yes, that would have been great if people could catch it there.  I did check the service and unfortunately it has not been available on WatchTCM either.  Another missed opportunity.

late Sun., 12-15 for                                                 Silent Sundays..........

12:00 AM (ET)
B/W - 76 m

TV-G

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis:  a young Quaker woman who lives with her well-to-do but saintly maiden aunts, played by Martha Mattox and Aileen Manning. The strict aunts, who repeatedly remind their niece to contain her high spirits, are so pious that they refer to the 20th century as "a work of Satan."

DirRobert G. Vignola CastMarion Davies , Forrest Stanley , June Elvidge .

see http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/490722/Beauty-s-Worth/articles.html

2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

late Sun., 12-15 for                                                 Silent Sundays..........

12:00 AM (ET)
B/W - 76 m

TV-G

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis:  a young Quaker woman who lives with her well-to-do but saintly maiden aunts, played by Martha Mattox and Aileen Manning. The strict aunts, who repeatedly remind their niece to contain her high spirits, are so pious that they refer to the 20th century as "a work of Satan."

DirRobert G. Vignola CastMarion Davies , Forrest Stanley , June Elvidge .

see http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/490722/Beauty-s-Worth/articles.html

Starring MARION DAVIES the same year she starred in WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER, THE BRIDE'S PLAY, and the lost film THE YOUNG DIANA.

Tues., 12-17 for                                              In Memorium.........

2:00 AM (ET)
B/W - 93 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif
McHale's Navy (1964)

Synopsis:  based on the popular television series that ran from 1962-1966. The series had been created from a 1962 dramatic episode of the Alcoa Premiere anthology series called "Seven Against the Sea" and was turned into comedy by producers Jennings Lang and Edward J. Montagne.

DirEdward J. Montagne CastErnest Borgnine , Tim Conway , Joe Flynn .

see:  http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/83147/McHale-s-Navy/articles.html

Fri., 12-20 for                                                            Underground..........

2:30 AM (ET)
B/W - 82 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif
Made In Usa (1987)

Synopsis:  Two misfit best friends, Dar and Tuck, leave their dying coal mining town with only one goal in mind - to reach sunny California and hook up with some beach babes.  The two steal cars as they travel across the USA and are joined by a wild young woman.

DirKen Friedman CastAdrian Pasdar , Christopher Penn , Lori Singer .

see:  https://letterboxd.com/film/made-in-usa-1987/

:huh:

Some miscellaneous notes:

- If you missed the TCM premiere of Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence (1983) (with David Bowie) which was shown late Sunday evening as part of TCM Imports, it is now available on the WatchTCM service.

IMDB info for Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (1983)

- I noticed that TCM repeated the Blackface & Hollywood short (that I mentioned above) on Sunday just before the start of primetime programming at 8 pm ET, so hopefully more people got to see it.  Still no mention of it in the listings, however.

• Like 1

Oooops.............. posted in HITS/MISSES

:o

sorry  :(

==============================

·

Bowie Alert David Bowie stars as a P.O.W. in a Japanese prison camp in

MERRY CHRISTMAS, MR. LAWRENCE (1983) at 3:00 AM ET on

@TCM  Imports,......

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/83343/Merry-Christmas-Mr-Lawrence/articles.html

"....... From the great performances to the spiritual and cultural themes, from the direction to the music, there is a lot more to recommend with this film than most others. It's too bad it has taken so long for everyone to catch on. "

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

List of Premieres for January 2020 yet?

I plan to post a detailed list of premieres here by the end of the week, but in the meantime, might I suggest that you visit my TCM Schedule Information web page:

http://escapepress.com/tcmsched/tcm_overview.html

There you will find a link for the ‘At-A-Glance’ schedule for January 2020.

The At-A-Glance schedule for January has a list of TCM premiere films on the last page, along with a great deal of other information for you to plan out your viewing for the month.

Merry Christmas!

• Thanks 1

Here are the TCM premieres for January, as determined by MovieCollectorOH’s report published on December 2.

Notes:
 - On Saturdays, TCM is premiering episodes of The Mysterious Mr. M serial along with selected cartoons, so these are listed separately.
 - There is still an issue with missing premieres (gaps in the TCM schedules), but based on past experience these are likely to be presented.  'Missing' films are marked with *, and approximate show times are included.

* Jan 1 - Beyond the Time Barrier (1960) (6:30 am ET 75 min)
* Jan 2 - Sorrowful Jones (1949) (11:15 pm ET 88m)
* Jan 3 - Escape from the Planet of the Apes (1971) (12:00 am ET 98 min)
* Jan 3 - Chopping Mall (1986) (2:00 am ET 77 min)
Jan 6 - Scandal: The Trial of Mary Astor (2018) (2 showings)
* Jan 8 - The St. Valentine's Day Massacre (1967) (10:15 pm ET 100 min)
Jan 9 - I Am Somebody (1970) (short)
* Jan 9 - Before Stonewall (1984) (doc.) (1:00 am ET 105 min)
Jan 10 - Multiple Maniacs (1970)
Jan 10 - Female Trouble (1974)
Jan 12 - The Bridge (1959)
* Jan 15 - Once Upon a Time in America (1984) (10:15 pm ET 229 min)
* Jan 17 - Whisky Galore! (1949) (8:00 pm ET 80 min)
* Jan 17 - The Private Files of J. Edgar Hoover (1977) (2:00 am ET 112 min)
Jan 20 - Nothing But a Man (1964)
Jan 22 - Bugsy Malone (1976)
* Jan 24 - Farewell, My Lovely (1975) (10:00 pm ET 95 min)
* Jan 24 - Scary Movie (1991) (2:00 am ET 82 min)
* Jan 24 - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) (3:30a ET 101 min)
Jan 25 - Try and Get Me! (1950) (Noir Alley, also shown on 26th)
Jan 26 - The Night Porter (1974)
Jan 26 - Come and See (1985)
Jan 27 - Shoah: Four Sisters (2018) (television documentary series)
* Jan 31 - Deathsport (1978) (2:00 am ET 82 min)
* Jan 31 - Cherry 2000 (1987) (3:30 am ET 99 min)

- Saturdays: serials
Jan 4 - The Mysterious Mr. M Ch. 3: Flood of Flames (1946)
Jan 11 - The Mysterious Mr. M Ch. 4: The Double Trap (1946)
Jan 18 - The Mysterious Mr. M Ch. 5: Highway Execution (1946)
Jan 25 - The Mysterious Mr. M Ch. 6: Heavier than Water (1946)

- Saturdays: cartoons
Jan 4 - MGM: To Spring (1936)
Jan 4 - Popeye: Wimmin Is a Myskery (1940)
Jan 11 - Popeye: Nurse Mates (1933)
Jan 18 - MGM: The Unwelcome Guest (1945)
Jan 18 - Popeye: Fightin' Pals (1933)
Jan 25 - MGM: The Winning Ticket (1938)
Jan 25 - Popeye: Doing Impossikible Stunts (1940)

Thanks as always to MCOH!

• Thanks 2

Fri., 12-27 for                                                         Underground.........

2:00 AM  (ET)
B/W - 86 m

TV-MA

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis:  Shot in 1969, the documentary is most memorable for showing Anton LaVey conducting black masses in a horned-devil outfit, but also aims to be an even debate on modern Satanism with members of the church and opponents being interviewed about the pros and cons.

DirRay Laurent CastAnton Szandor LaVey ,

"......... the new Church of Satan in the late '60s and found itself captured on film in Satanis: The Devil's Mass, the legacy of LaVey and his initiates remains a fascinating and still unique one in the history of American religious practices and the often hysterical response by the public."

see:  http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/563656/Satanis-the-Devil-s-Mass/articles.html

18 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Here are the TCM premieres for January, as determined by MovieCollectorOH’s report published on December 2.

Thank you for that!

Jan 2 - Sorrowful Jones (1949)

One of my brother's favorite movies. I snoozed through it.

Since I work in a Mall sometimes, I wanted to see it. Worth a viewing but nothing speshel.

* Jan 17 - Whisky Galore! (1949) (8:00 pm ET 80 min)

A story & location dear to my heart-(my dog Scotch Whiskey):

CNYblizzard.jpg.edaf60fab37d84acc9a8ce09ca6d65a1.jpg

* Jan 17 - The Private Files of J. Edgar Hoover (1977) (2:00 am ET 112 min)

Even though this has Jack Cassidy, seems just a bit too sordid. Any opinions on this one?

* Jan 31 - Deathsport (1978) (2:00 am ET 82 min)
* Jan 31 - Cherry 2000 (1987) (3:30 am ET 99 min)

Sound like Mystery Science Theater 3000 titles.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Thank you for that!

You are most welcome.

Nice photo!  I now live in the South so it has been quite a while since I've seen a heavy snow like that!

17 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

it has been quite a while since I've seen a heavy snow like that!

...me too - it's almost January in Syracuse and there's zero snow. (for those who do not believe in global warming)

A quick reminder here that as part of Noir Alley this evening (late Saturday) with a repeat Sunday morning Eddie is showing the TCM premiere of Repeat Performance (1947), with a print restored by Eddie's Film Noir Foundation.  (There is further discussion of the film under the Noir Alley topic.)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

A quick reminder here that as part of Noir Alley this evening (late Saturday) with a repeat Sunday morning Eddie is showing the TCM premiere of Repeat Performance (1947), with a print restored by Eddie's Film Noir Foundation.  (There is further discussion of the film under the Noir Alley topic.)

Sat., 12-28  @ 12:00 AM  and Sun., 12-29 @ 10:00 AM (ET) for                  Noir Alley.........

B/W - 93 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

.....Eddie Muller called the film a "film noir version of It's a Wonderful Life (1946)."

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 Alfred L. Werker. Cast: Louis Hayward, Joan Leslie, Tom Conway, Benay Venuta, Richard Basehart, Virginia Field; narrated by John Ireland.

On New Year's Eve, woman gets chance to relive the past year, leading up to the moment she murdered her husband. Fine premise smoothly executed in this B production; Basehart's first film. Remade for TV in 1989 as TURN BACK THE CLOCK.

With the monthly schedule information that was released today, there were a few changes to TCM premieres, so the list of January premieres above has been updated:

- The primetime schedule for the 6th and 23rd was switched, so The Trial of Mary Astor (2018) was moved to the 6th.

- Added 'missing' premiere for Scary Movie (1991) as part of TCM Underground on the evening of the 24th.

I think we are all frustrated with the missing premieres in the schedule so I hope you will bear with me.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

With the monthly schedule information that was released today, there were a few changes to TCM premieres, so the list of January premieres above has been updated:

- The primetime schedule for the 6th and 23rd was switched, so The Trial of Mary Astor (2018) was moved to the 6th.

- Added 'missing' premiere for Scary Movie (1991) as part of TCM Underground on the evening of the 24th.

I think we are all frustrated with the missing premieres in the schedule so I hope you will bear with me.

Hang in there.

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2019 at 8:13 AM, TikiSoo said:

...me too - it's almost January in Syracuse and there's zero snow. (for those who do not believe in global warming)

Being a physical phenomenon, it wouldn't be rational for GW to require any sort of belief system.  It is either there or it isn't.

54 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Being a physical phenomenon, it wouldn't be rational for GW to require any sort of belief system.  It is either there or it isn't.

But people do have political opinions about global warming that are not rational, or based on any scientific evidence.

2 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Wow.....seems ALL these disappeared !?...........  :o  :(

Jan 1 - Beyond the Time Barrier (1960) (6:30 am ET 75 min)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Wow.....seems ALL these disappeared !?...........  :o  :(

Jan 1 - Beyond the Time Barrier (1960) (6:30 am ET 75 min)

Beyond The Time Barrier was a false alarm.   I just checked, it is sitting there waiting for me on my PC DVR, recorded this morning.  I played the start of it and saw the opening titles.  If I had a penny for every false alarm these days, I'd be rich!

If anyone was going to record these, keep your machine set to record it.  As it stands, I don't consider any of these so-called late schedule retractions legit, until proven otherwise.

• Like 1

"Escape..." IS indeed still showing up on the DTV schedule ....

as IS "Chopping Mall"............  :unsure:

???

9 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

"Escape..." IS indeed still showing up on the DTV schedule ....

as IS "Chopping Mall"............  :unsure:

???

Fri., 1-3 for                                            Planet of the Apes.....

12:00 am (ET)    

Escape from the Planet of the Apes (1971)

A trio of intelligent and cultured apes from the future create paranoia amongst 20th century humans, who fear a plot to overthrow mankind. The film is the third in the series

Dir. Don Taylor

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_from_the_Planet_of_the_Apes

"One of the better Planet of the Apes sequels, Escape is more character-driven than the previous films, and more touching as a result." .......

============================================

@2:00 am (ET)                                                                         Underground.....

Chopping Mall (1986)

American science-fiction comedy horror film co-written and directed by Jim Wynorski, produced by Julie Corman, and starring Kelli Maroney, Tony O'Dell, John Terlesky, and Russell Todd.

The story focuses on three security robots turning rogue, and killing teenage employees inside a shopping mall after dark.

see:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopping_Mall

:)