Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tues., 7-14 for                                        Bastille Day......

8:00 PM (ET)
B/W - 201 m

TV-14

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis:  Rather than attempting an encyclopedic approach that would cover all of the great names of French filmmaking, Tavernier sticks to the movies, and names, that have had personal meaning to him. He takes the audience from the 1930s to the 1970s as he remembers, examines, and extols the classics of the French screen that inspired him as a boy growing up in France and influenced him as an artist. ........

He includes well-known classics, such as The Rules of the Game (1939) and Army of Shadows (1969), and genuine obscurities, such as Gas-Oil (1955) and Macao, l'enfer du jeu (1942). He examines directors from the renowned, including Jean Vigo, Jean-Luc Godard, Jean-Pierre Melville, Claude Chabrol, and Agns Varda, to the more or less forgotten, like Edmund Greville and Guy Gilles.

Along the way, he samples nearly 100 titles through clips, and offers his own ruminations on filmmakers and their styles.........

see:  http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/2116529/My-Journey-Through-French-Cinema/articles.html

DirBertrand Tavernier

(wasn't on our list.........)

TCM

·
2h

Jean-Pierre Melville gained popularity in the 1960s for his minimalist storytelling style, with a trio of neo-noir crime dramas, including what many consider to be his greatest film - LE SAMOURAI ('67) starring Alain Delon.

See the TCM Premiere tonight at 12:30am PT. #LetsMovie
8 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

(wasn't on our list.........)

TCM

·
2h

Jean-Pierre Melville gained popularity in the 1960s for his minimalist storytelling style, with a trio of neo-noir crime dramas, including what many consider to be his greatest film - LE SAMOURAI ('67) starring Alain Delon.

See the TCM Premiere tonight at 12:30am PT. #LetsMovie

"........ By the 1960s, Melville gained popularity for his minimalist storytelling style, with a trio of neo-noir crime dramas, including what many consider to be his greatest film: Le samoura (1967).

Alain Delon is Jef Costello, a hitman in Paris who has never been caught. His success as a contract killer is due to his methodical and precise planning and execution of his lethal crimes, which include iron-clad alibis often involving his girlfriend, Jane (played by Nathalie Delon, Alain Delon's wife from 1964 until 1969). However, during his latest hit, Jef is seen by several witnesses, weakening his alibi and putting the police hot on his trail. Of course, being in his line of work, Jef undoubtedly has many enemies, which he must also consider in addition to the unwanted attention from the police, as he desperately tries to cover his tracks.  ..........

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/76561/Le-Samourai/articles.html

I'm not sure why TCM is claiming this evening's showing as a premiere, since by my records Le Samourai (1967) made its debut as part of TCM Imports late on the evening of July 28, 2019.

15 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

I'm not sure why TCM is claiming this evening's showing as a premiere, since by my records Le Samourai (1967) made its debut as part of TCM Imports late on the evening of July 28, 2019.

yup.......after 10 min. I knew I had seen it before  -_-

On 7/15/2020 at 6:23 PM, LsDoorMat said:

Don't miss Louisa tomorrow night July 16 at 10PM EST.  It is a hoot. 

10:00 PM
B/W - 90 m

TV-G

genre_NONE_expanded.gif
Louisa (1950)

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 Alexander Hall. Ronald Reagan, Charles Coburn, Ruth Hussey, Edmund Gwenn, Spring Byington, Piper Laurie, Scotty Beckett, Martin Milner.

Delightful romantic yarn of Byington seeking to become a December bride, undecided between Coburn and Gwenn; most disarming. Film debut of Piper Laurie.

Fri., 7-17                                                     Underground...........

2:30 AM (ET)
B/W - 98 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis:  After returning home, a Vietnam veteran lives in the psychiatric ward on the V.A. hospital, because he cannot cope with the craziness of the world.

DirArthur Hiller CastDewayne Jessie , Dena Dietrich , Debralee Scott .

s ee:   http://catalog.afi.com/Catalog/MovieDetails/67485

• Thanks 1

Tues., 7-21 for                                          30 YEARS OF MILESTONE FILMS........

8:00 PM

Notfilm ( 2015)

In 1964 author Samuel Beckett set out on one of the strangest ventures in cinematic history: his embattled collaboration with silent era genius Buster Keaton on the production of a short, titleless avant-garde film. Beckett was nearing the peak of his fame, which would culminate in his receiving a Nobel Prize five years later. Keaton, in his waning years, never lived to see Becketts canonization. The film they made along with director Alan Schneider, renegade publisher Barney Rosset, and Academy Award-winning cinematographer Boris Kaufman, has been the subject of praise, condemnation, and controversy for decades. Yet the eclectic participants are just one part of a story that stretches to the very birth of cinema, and spreads out to our understanding of human consciousness itself.

NOTFILM is the feature-length movie on FILMs production and its philosophical implications, utilizing additional outtakes, never before heard audio recordings of the production meetings, and other rare archival elements.

Dir Ross Lipman

BW- 128 mins, CC,

10:30 PM

Archival Screening Night ( 2020)

For the 30th anniversary of The Association of Moving Image Archivists, TCM presents the worldwide television premiere of Archival Screening Night: Roadshow Edition.

Featured are 21 astonishing films and videos in 102 minutes from archives and archivists around the world! Archival Screening Night has been the centerpiece of every AMIA conference since 1991. What makes Archival Roadshow Edition special is that for the first time ever, this members-only event is being made accessible to the public to see the incredible, strange, astonishing, hilarious and curious treasures from the world's moving image archives.

see more info here:  http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/2228151/Archival-Screening-Night/articles.html

BW- 105 mins,

• Thanks 2

Here are the TCM premieres for August, as determined by MovieCollectorOH’s report published on July 1.

(August is Summer Under the Stars month, so the premiere title is listed together with the star of the day.)

Aug 2 - The Golden Blade (1953) (Rock Hudson)
Aug 7 - You And Me (1938) (Sylvia Sidney)
Aug 7 - Thirty Day Princess (1934) (Sylvia Sidney)
Aug 9 - The First Wives Club (1996) (Goldie Hawn)
Aug 9 - Crisscross (1992) (Goldie Hawn)
Aug 11 - Tap (1989) (Sammy Davis Jr.)
Aug 13 - Night Club Scandal (1937) (John Barrymore)
Aug 19 - Ramona (1928) (Dolores Del Rio)
Aug 20 - The Senator Was Indiscreet (1947) (William Powell)
Aug 21 - The Weak and the Wicked (1954) (Diana Dors) (10 pm ET)
Aug 24 - Loan Shark (1952) (George Raft)
Aug 24 - I'll Get You (1953) (George Raft)
Aug 25 - Steamboat Round the Bend (1935) (Anne Shirley) (9:30 pm ET)
Aug 28 - For Men Only (1951) (Paul Henreid)

Thanks as always to MCOH!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
6 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Aug 21 - The Weak and the Wicked (1954) (Diana Dors)
Aug 25 - Steamboat Round the Bend (1935) (Anne Shirley)

These two now seem to be missing from the schedule?

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

These two now seem to be missing from the schedule?

Same schedule issue that's been going on for over a year now - premieres tend to disappear leaving gaps in the schedule.  I added the schedule times to the list for the 'missing' films.

Other premieres may disappear / reappear between now and when they are scheduled to be shown.

The rule of thumb is that if there's a gap, the premiere will still be shown.  Of course, the trick is to figure out that there is a gap.

(I wish I could 'pin' this answer to this message thread.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, cmovieviewer said:

Same schedule issue that's been going on for over a year now - premieres tend to disappear leaving gaps in the schedule.  I added the schedule times to the list for the 'missing' films.

Other premieres may disappear / reappear between now and when they are scheduled to be shown.

The rule of thumb is that if there's a gap, the premiere will still be shown.  Of course, the trick is to figure out that there is a gap.

(I wish I could 'pin' this answer to this message thread.)

Thanks again for your attention to these schedule developments.

You And Me (1938) already disappeared and reappeared.  I kind of rolled my eyes and chuckled at that.  This is one I am looking forward to.

• Like 1

FRI., 7-31                                                 Underground........

2:15 AM
B/W - 100 m

genre_NONE_expanded.gif
Vibes (1988)

Synopsis:  Sylvia Pickel, a romantically unlucky psychic who relies on a spirit guide named Louise. Offered a job by the mysterious Harry (Peter Falk) to find his missing son, she recruits fellow psychic Nick (Jeff Goldblum) to accompany her on a trip to Ecuador only to find that they are embroiled in a perilous quest for a lost city of gold.

DirKen Kwapis Cast:  Cyndi Lauper, Jeff Goldbloom, Peter Falk

see:  http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/412576/Vibes/articles.html

3 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Thurs., 7-30

5:30 PM (ET)
C - 74 m

adventure
Fury River (1961)

Synopsis: Major Robert Rogers searches for the northwest passage through the U.S. during the French and Indian War.

DirAlan Crosland Jr. CastKeith Larsen , Buddy Eb

In looking into this title I discovered that Fury River was assembled from episodes of a TV series called Northwest Passage, which ran on NBC in the late 50's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Passage_(TV_series)

You may notice that Fury River is preceded on the TCM Thursday schedule by a film called Mission of Danger, which is also taken from the same television series, so some of the same cast members appear in both (including Buddy Ebsen).

Although the Northwest Passage TV series was before my time, I'm still a bit surprised that I had not heard of it before, as I'm familiar with many other similar shows of that period (Davy Crockett, etc.).

Per MovieCollectorOH's database, I see that Mission of Danger has been on TCM back in 2011, but I missed it at that time so both will be new to me.

It's also interesting to me that Jacques Tourneur directed some of the television episodes on which the movies are based, so that's how these films fit into the daytime theme which is dedicated to him.

• Thanks 2

Sun., 8-2                                             SUTS:   Rock Hudson....

1:45 PM (ET)
B/W - 80 m

TV-G

Closed
Captions
genre_NONE_expanded.gif

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 Nathan Juran. Rock Hudson, Piper Laurie, Gene Evans, George Macready, Kathleen Hughes, Steven Geray.

Hudson, with the help of the magical Sword of Damascus, helps Baghdad princess Laurie battle her caliph father's grand vizier (Macready) and his strong-arm son (Evans). Typical but entertaining Arabian Nights adventure.

Fri., 8-7                                                   SUTS:  Sylvia Sydney...........

(Times ET)

(NOT sure w/this one, 'Mary Burns' ...........but it had "TCM Presents" logo)  :unsure:

1:00 PM
B/W - 84 m

TV-G

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 William K. Howard. Sylvia Sidney, Melvyn Douglas, Pert Kelton, Alan Baxter, Wallace Ford, Brian Donlevy. Fine gangster melodrama. Sidney is dragged into underworld, valiantly tries to escape her gangster lover (Baxter).

8:00 PM
B/W - 90 m

TV-PG

genre_NONE_expanded.gif
You and Me (1938)

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 Fritz Lang. Sylvia Sidney, George Raft, Barton MacLane, Harry Carey, Roscoe Karns, George E. Stone, Warren Hymer, Robert Cummings.

Genuinely odd but likable film about an ex-con (Raft) who falls in love with Sidney and marries her, unaware that she's a former jailbird herself. Unusual mix of gangsterism, sentiment, Damon Runyonesque comedy, and music (by Kurt Weill)--with even some rhythmic dialogue! Story by Norman Krasna, screenplay by Virginia Van Upp.

9:45 PM
B/W - 74 m

TV-G

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 Marion Gering. Sylvia Sidney, Cary Grant, Edward Arnold, Vince Barnett, Lucien Littlefield.

Lightly entertaining if formulaic fluff, with Sidney cast in two roles: a princess making a goodwill tour of the U.S. and an unemployed actress hired to impersonate her. Co-scripted by Preston Sturges.

16 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Fri., 8-7                                                   SUTS:  Sylvia Sydney...........

(Times ET)

(NOT sure w/this one, 'Mary Burns' ...........but it had "TCM Presents" logo)  :unsure:

1:00 PM
B/W - 84 m

TV-G

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

I wouldn't assume the 'TCM Presents' logo means that a film is a premiere.  My take is that it indicates that the TCM film information database used for the schedule has not been updated yet to assign a genre to the film (war, drama, western, etc.).  It may possibly be a premiere, but not necessarily.

For example, Mary Burns, Fugitive (1935) had its TCM premiere on August 5, 2019 as part of last year's Summer Under the Stars day for Melvyn Douglas, so they apparently still haven't assigned a film type in their database yet.  I've seen that happen for other relatively recent premieres as well.

On the flip side, I've seen premiere films that immediately have a specific genre designated from the very first time the film is added to the schedule.  The only way to really tell it is a premiere is to look it up in MovieCollectorOH's database, a source which has proven to be very reliable for many months/years now.

• Thanks 1

Sun., 8-9                                                    SUTS:  Goldie Hawn...........

10:00 PM

First Wives Club, The ( 1996)

Dir Hugh Wilson Cast Robin Morse , Maggie Smith , Goldie Hawn .

BW- 102 mins, CC,

4:15 AM

Crisscross ( 1992)

Dir Chris Menges Cast Keith Carradine , Steve Buscemi , John Nesci .

BW- 101 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

Thurs., 8-13 for                                                        SUTS:  John Barrymore.........

12:00 AM (ET)
B/W - 70 m

TV-G

genre_NONE_expanded.gif

Synopsis:  "Lillie Hayward adapted the Daniel Nathan Rubin play for the Night Club Scandal script, which opens, Columbo-style, with a depiction of the murder that the cops and reporters will have to solve. So it is no spoiler to say that Dr. Ernest Tindal (Barrymore) strangles his wife and attempts to frame her lover Frank (Harvey Stephens) for the crime. It is up to stone-faced detective McKinley (Charles Bickford, in the McLaglen role) and motormouthed journalist Russell Kirk (Lynne Overman - taking over for Lowe) to unwind Tindal's devious plot. ............."

DirRalph Murphy CastJohn Barrymore , Lynne Overman , Charles Bickford .

"....Though it's a supporting role, Barrymore is billed as the lead, and though there are reports of his failing memory in this period, he still brings a bombastic gravitas to the role of the devious doctor, whose effortlessly suave demeanor remains intact until the very end. .......

see: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/84837/Night-Club-Scandal/articles.html

• Like 1

(the Wed. premiere of Ramona seems to have disappeared)  :unsure:

Thurs., 8-20   for                                     SUTS:  William Powell........

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 George S. Kaufman. William Powell, Ella Raines, Peter Lind Hayes, Arleen Whelan, Ray Collins, Hans Conried.

"Wit-playwright Kaufman's only directorial fling turns out quite well, with Powell as Senator whose diary causes embarrassment. Entertaining satire."

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

(the Wed. premiere of Ramona seems to have disappeared)  :unsure:

Thurs., 8-20   for                                     SUTS:  William Powell........

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

😧 George S. Kaufman. William Powell, Ella Raines, Peter Lind Hayes, Arleen Whelan, Ray Collins, Hans Conried.

"Wit-playwright Kaufman's only directorial fling turns out quite well, with Powell as Senator whose diary causes embarrassment. Entertaining satire."

This is the absolute gem in the crown of this month's programming IMHO. The only copies I've seen are very rough, so hopefully this means that Kino will be releasing it on physical media as they have for a bunch of other Universals. Do stay around to the very end for a hilarious poke at film history and nuclear testing. 

• Like 2