Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here are the TCM premieres for December, as determined by MovieCollectorOH’s report published on November 6.

Notes:
- The dates shown are based on a programming day starting at 6 am ET and running past midnight.
- On Tuesday Dec 1, TCM is featuring the final night of the 'Women Make Film' series which has several premieres, so these are listed separately.
- On Saturdays, TCM is premiering episodes of the Wild West Days serial along with selected cartoons, so these are listed separately.

Dec 4 - The Undertaker and His Pals (1967)
Dec 6 - Limite (1931)
Dec 11 - Marsha Hunt's Sweet Adversity (2015) (doc.)
Dec 11 - Going Attractions: The Definitive Story of the Movie Palace (2019) (doc.)
Dec 11 - What She Said: The Art of Pauline Kael (2018) (doc.)
Dec 11 - For the Love of Movies: The Story of American Film Criticism (2009) (doc.)
Dec 11 - Dusty and Sweets McGee (1971)
Dec 13 - Fanchon, the Cricket (1915)
Dec 13 - Diamonds of the Night (1964)
Dec 15 - Battle of the Century (1927) (short)
Dec 15 - Illusions (1982) (short)
Dec 18 - The Silent Partner (1978)
Dec 29 - The Belly of an Architect (1987)

- Tuesdays: Women Make Film series

Dec 1 - Women Make Film: Episode 14 (2020) (2 showings)
Dec 1 - O Ébrio (1946)
Dec 2 - The Lure (2015) (6 am ET) (also shown Dec 6)
Dec 2 - La Cigarette (1919) (7:45 am ET)
Dec 2 - Very Annie Mary (2001) (8:45 am ET)

- Saturdays: Serials

Dec 5 - Wild West Days Ch. 10: The Circle of Doom (1937)
Dec 12 - Wild West Days Ch. 11: The Thundering Herd (1937)
Dec 19 - (Christmas programs)
Dec 26 - Wild West Days Ch. 12: Rustlers and Redskins (1937)
Dec 26 - Wild West Days Ch. 13: The Rustlers' Roundup (1937)

- Saturdays: Cartoons

Dec 5 - MGM Cartoons: Out-Foxed (1949)
Dec 5 - Popeye: Wood Peckin (1943)
Dec 12 - MGM Cartoons: Poor Little Me (1935)
Dec 12 - Popeye: Spinach Fer Britain (1933)
Dec 26 - Popeye: Her Honor the Mare (1943)

Thanks as always to MCOH!

• Thanks 4

late Sun.,  11-27 for                                Silent Sundays.........

(times ET) ?

12:00
am
Too Many Kisses Profile Image
"Richard Dix stars as an American Casanova in Too Many Kisses (1925), a romantic comedy that pits Dix against William Powell over the affections of a local girl (Frances Howard) in France's remote Basque country. For many film buffs, however, this silent comedy is best known as the first screen appearance of Harpo Marx ............

2:00                                                                TCM Imports........
am
The Great Beauty Profile Image

"..... The film made the best-of-the-year lists of many prominent critics (and Spanish director Pedro Almodóvar) and in 2016 was ranked among the 100 greatest since 2000 in an international poll of 177 critics. It also won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film.....
Peter Bradshaw said in his review in The Guardian, “for its intense, unbearable melancholy, the final end-title sequence has to be watched through to the very end until the screen goes dark.”

• Like 1
On 11/28/2020 at 7:14 PM, mr6666 said:

late Sun.,  11-27 for                                Silent Sundays.........

(times ET) ?

am
Too Many Kisses Profile Image
"Richard Dix stars as an American Casanova in Too Many Kisses (1925), a romantic comedy that pits Dix against William Powell over the affections of a local girl (Frances Howard) in France's remote Basque country. For many film buffs, however, this silent comedy is best known as the first screen appearance of Harpo Marx ............

2:00                                                                TCM Imports........
am
The Great Beauty Profile Image

"..... The film made the best-of-the-year lists of many prominent critics (and Spanish director Pedro Almodóvar) and in 2016 was ranked among the 100 greatest since 2000 in an international poll of 177 critics. It also won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film.....
Peter Bradshaw said in his review in The Guardian, “for its intense, unbearable melancholy, the final end-title sequence has to be watched through to the very end until the screen goes dark.”

https://twitter.com/tcm/status/1332881998961106948?s=20

Dec., 1 & 2 for                                                                          Women Make Film......

Wed, December 2
12:15
am
O Ebrio Profile Image

A good-hearted man, betrayed by his wife and friends, fakes his death and takes up a new identity, as a nameless, wandering drunkard.
The screenplay is based on a song by Vicente Celestino.[1]

7:45
am
La Cigarette Profile Image

A May-December marriage is on the rocks when the husband, an anemic Egyptologist, decides that his young wife is stepping out. Poisoned cigarettes and a distastefully-placed mummy are just a few of the complications that ensue.

8:45
am
Very Annie Mary Profile Image

When Annie Mary was 16, she was offered a scholarship to sing in Milan, but was never allowed to go because her mother was dying. Now Annie Mary is 33 and no longer sings. She lives under the shadow of her chapel-strict father,

*** This schedule site IS truly Useless for these new films!!   <_<  :(
  • Thanks 1

I recorded La cigarette this morning, but it appears there were no English subtitles shown on TCM for the French title cards.  Flicker Alley is the source of the video - I wonder if subtitles have been prepared for the film? Guess I will need to brush up on my French to fully enjoy it (definitely a big challenge). 🙂

• Sad 1
18 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

I recorded La cigarette this morning, but it appears there were no English subtitles shown on TCM for the French title cards.  Flicker Alley is the source of the video - I wonder if subtitles have been prepared for the film? Guess I will need to brush up on my French to fully enjoy it (definitely a big challenge). 🙂

If you turn on closed captioning, you should see the translations of the title cards.

2 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

If you turn on closed captioning, you should see the translations of the title cards.

Thanks, but sad to say that doesn't work for my recording.  I also tried that for WatchTCM and don't see it showing anything when closed captions are turned on.  Normally TCM uses burned-in subtitles for foreign films, so not sure why that wasn't done in this case.

• Sad 1
12 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Thanks, but sad to say that doesn't work for my recording.  I also tried that for WatchTCM and don't see it showing anything when closed captions are turned on.  Normally TCM uses burned-in subtitles for foreign films, so not sure why that wasn't done in this case.

Interesting, because it worked for the on demand viewing of it on YouTube TV.

7 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Interesting, because it worked for the on demand viewing of it on YouTube TV.

Thanks, it’s good to know there are subtitles available.  Closed captions seems to be very hit-or-miss depending on the source being used.  In the WatchTCM page on a computer web browser there is a ‘CC’ button that looks to turn on closed captions, but so far I haven’t been able to get that to work for my setup.  I also tried the WatchTCM app on my phone, and there I was able to get subtitles.  I’m not one to want to watch a film on my phone, so this is a bummer for me.

I assume if I turn on closed captions on my cable box then I should see those for live broadcasts as well.  Of course most cable users would not want closed captions on all the time, so that is why TCM normally uses burned-in subtitles for foreign films.

I would add another side note here that in looking at the TCM online schedule, I don’t see any indication of which films have closed captions, another disappointment with the new schedule system.

Sorry to veer off on this topic in the TCM Premieres thread.

1 hour ago, cmovieviewer said:

Thanks, it’s good to know there are subtitles available.  Closed captions seems to be very hit-or-miss depending on the source being used.  In the WatchTCM page on a computer web browser there is a ‘CC’ button that looks to turn on closed captions, but so far I haven’t been able to get that to work for my setup.  I also tried the WatchTCM app on my phone, and there I was able to get subtitles.  I’m not one to want to watch a film on my phone, so this is a bummer for me.

I assume if I turn on closed captions on my cable box then I should see those for live broadcasts as well.  Of course most cable users would not want closed captions on all the time, so that is why TCM normally uses burned-in subtitles for foreign films.

I would add another side note here that in looking at the TCM online schedule, I don’t see any indication of which films have closed captions, another disappointment with the new schedule system.

Sorry to veer off on this topic in the TCM Premieres thread.

My "new feed" schedule has CC, and is using the exact same data source as their official online schedule is now using.  I must admit I am guilty of not perusing their new official schedule website at my leisure.  Didn't they manage to put CC somewhere on that?  After all, that's the intent of including it in the data source.
https://www.moviecollectoroh.com/nightly/sched-new.htm

• Thanks 3
On 11/27/2020 at 6:53 AM, cmovieviewer said:

Dec 11 - Marsha Hunt's Sweet Adversity (2015) (doc.)
Dec 11 - Going Attractions: The Definitive Story of the Movie Palace (2019) (doc.)

THANKS for your list! I missed those two and still have time to get them on the DVR!! 

(apparently even having the schedule as a LIST fails me, now I'm going to complain about not being able to comprehend the FONT!) (just kidding)

• Like 1

late Fri.,  12-4                                                                 Underground ?......................

2:30
am  (ET)
The Undertaker and His Pals Profile Image

"During a slack period, an undertaker and his two hoodlum friends go out on their motorcycles to drum up business. Selecting their victims at random from the telephone directory, they commit brutal murders and then provide the bereaved families with cheap, showy funerals at outrageous prices. .......

".....Fred Beldin of AllMovie described the film as an "incredibly weird horror comedy", noting unfunny jokes and unrealistic gore with hammy acting but that the film "revels in its own inappropriateness so completely that it's impossible to forget." and that it was "highly recommended for those who revel in bad taste."[4].......

P.S.   YES,  the new schedule site IS USELESS for new films!!           :angry:

Limite (1931) is a Brazilian silent film, but there are only a few places where subtitles are necessary.  The story is primarily told through a succession of video images without the use of language.

(I'm happy to confirm that subtitles were included where appropriate.)

TCM overview

IMDB listing

The film is available on WatchTCM through January 5 for those who are interested and have the service:

WatchTCM link

late Sun.,  early Mon, December 14                                                          Silent Sundays..........

2:15                                                                                                           TCM Imports.............
am
Diamonds of the Night Profile Image
  • Like 2

As part of the National Film Registry primetime theme on December 15, 2 premiere shorts have been added to the schedule:

Battle of the Century (1927)   (8 pm ET)
   Illusions (1982)   (10:15 pm ET)

These titles have been added to the list of December premieres above.

• Thanks 2
On 12/10/2020 at 7:20 PM, mr6666 said:

Wow sounds like a real laugh-fest.

I'm getting my January TCM DVR list together....longest list I've had in a long time! (anything with fewer than 3 stars gets eliminated first)

late Fri., 12-18                                                 Underground.........

4:00
am (ET)
The Silent Partner Profile Image

A bank teller (Elliot Gould) is held up at gun point in his bank. Luckily for him he receives a clue that this is going to occur and diverts most of the cash into his own safety deposit box, leaving only a nominal amount for the crook (Christopher Plummer). The ruse works well, but for the fact that the crook resents the fact that he has been outsmarted. ...

"The Silent Partner is a wonderful sleeper that most viewers saw in the first years of cable television screenings. It's the kind of low-profile neo-noir thriller that wouldn't become popular for a few more years. The clever, tense script by Curtis Hanson (White Dog, L.A. Confidential) finds new twists in old crime capers, setting up a tense battle of wits between Elliott Gould's amateur crook and Christopher Plummer's genuinely scary robber......

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

W ed., 12-30

2:00
am (ET)
The Belly Of An Architect Profile Image

"....... Augustus, the first Emperor of Rome who was poisoned by his wife Livia, and Boullée, a French architect (and recurring invisible presence in this film) who succumbed to pancreatic cancer. The physical decline and mental deterioration of both of these historical figures mirror in the American architect’s state as he loses his grip on reality and faces his mortality in the golden streets of the Eternal City.........

• Thanks 1

Here are the TCM premieres for January, as determined by MovieCollectorOH’s report published on December 8.

Notes:
- The dates shown are based on a programming day starting at 6 am ET and running past midnight.
- On Saturdays, TCM is premiering episodes of The New Adventures of Tarzan serial along with selected cartoons, so these are listed separately.

- Feature Films

Jan 2 - The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (1945) (2 showings, Noir Alley)
Jan 3 - The Star Prince (1918)
Jan 3 - La Souriante Madame Beudet (1923)
Jan 3 - Pepi, Luci, Bom and Other Girls Like Mom (1980)
Jan 3 - Labyrinth of Passion (1982)
Jan 4 - Churchill and the Movie Mogul (2019) (doc.) (2 showings)
Jan 10 - The Dumb Girl of Portici (1916)
Jan 10 - Dark Habits (1983)
Jan 10 - What Have I Done to Deserve This? (1984)
Jan 13 - Clue (1985)
Jan 15 - Pipe Dreams (1976)
Jan 16 - The Falcon and the Snowman (1985)
Jan 17 - The Incident (1967)
Jan 17 - Matador (1986)
Jan 17 - Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988)
Jan 22 - Bobbie Jo and the Outlaw (1976)
Jan 23 - It Could Happen to You (1994)
Jan 24 - Rosita (1923)
Jan 24 - Kika (1994)
Jan 24 - The Flower of My Secret (1995)
Jan 25 - Munster, Go Home (1966)
Jan 29 - When a Stranger Calls (1979)
Jan 29 - The Caller (1987)
Jan 31 - Live Flesh (1997)
Jan 31 - All About My Mother (1999)

- Shorts

Jan 8 - On the Edge (1949)
Jan 8 - The Wormwood Star (1956)
Jan 8 - The Assignation (1953)
Jan 8 - Picnic (1949)
Jan 8 - Fragment of Seeking (1946)
Jan 8 - Usher (2000)
Jan 17 - Daybreak Express (1953)
Jan 23 - The Mild West (1933)

- Saturdays: Serials

Jan 2 - The New Adventures of Tarzan Ch. 1: New Adventures (1935)
Jan 9 - The New Adventures of Tarzan Ch. 2: Crossed Trails (1935)
Jan 16 - The New Adventures of Tarzan Ch. 3: The Devil's Noose (1935)
Jan 23 - The New Adventures of Tarzan Ch. 4: River Perils (1935)
Jan 30 - The New Adventures of Tarzan Ch. 5: Unseen Hands (1935)

- Saturdays: Cartoons

Jan 2 - MGM Cartoons: The Blue Danube (1939)
Jan 2 - Popeye: The Marry-Go-Round (1943)
Jan 9 - MGM Cartoons: The Bookworm Turns (1940)
Jan 9 - Popeye: We're on Our Way to Rio (1944)
Jan 16 - MGM Cartoons: The Discontented Canary (1934)
Jan 23 - Popeye: Spinach Packin' Popeye (1944)
Jan 30 - MGM Cartoons: Give and Tyke (1957)
Jan 30 - Popeye: Pitchin' Woo at the Zoo (1944)

Thanks as always to MCOH!

• Thanks 2

late Sat., 1-2 for                                               Noir Alley.......

am (ET)
The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry Profile Image

George Sanders, Ella Raines, Geraldine Fitzgerald (Lettie Quincy), Ella Raines (Deborah Brown), Moyna Macgill (Hester Quincy), Sara Allgood (Nona)

"This melodrama has been described as Hitchcockian, but don’t confuse it with Alfred Hitchcock’s 1955 black comedy The Trouble with Harry, similar in name and equally caught up in small-town murder. This adaptation of “the play that shocked Broadway” (the picture’s advertising tagline) is less a suspense drama than a story of family dysfunction and obsession. It might be overlooked today if noir master Robert Siodmak hadn’t directed it.........

Nervous about censorship, the studio reversed the morally ambiguous finale of the source material, Thomas Job’s 1942 stage success Uncle Harry, crafting instead one of the most ludicrous happy endings ever committed to celluloid. Really, it must be seen to be believed, ..........
It’s a shame, really, because George Sanders, as the milquetoast-turned-murderer, gives one of his best performances here. More vulnerable, touching and awkward than his usual suave, cynical screen image, Sanders only allows glimpses of his more sinister side.............

• Thanks 2