Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

13 hours ago, mr6666 said:
-Still HATING this 'new' schedule site!!!!!!!!

I love your little "post scripts" at the end of all your entries! 😄

• Thanks 1

late Mon., 1-4

12:15
am (ET)
Churchill and the Movie Mogul Profile Image

Churchill and the Movie Mogul review:

– how a tight-trousered Nelson smashed the Nazis

Hitler had Leni Riefenstahl. Churchill had Alexander Korda. And the refugee director didn’t just craft masterful propaganda out of British history – he also sheltered undercover agents.....

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/sep/25/churchill-and-the-movie-mogul-review-how-a-tight-trousered-nelson-smashed-the-nazis

• Like 1

Wed., 2-13

9:45
pm (ET)
Clue Profile Image

".....By the ‘90s, however, Clue had found its audience. With its lack of nudity and strong language, it became a staple of cable programming, particularly during daytime hours, bringing it a new generation of fans. It is now considered one of the best comedies of the 1980s. .....

• Like 1

The TCM premiere of Six Bridges to Cross (1955) originally scheduled for Jan 26 has been replaced with Sword in the Desert (1949) (not a premiere).  The list of January premieres provided earlier has been updated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

late Fri., 1-22 for                                               Underground.......

2:30 am (ET)
Bobbie Jo And The Outlaw Profile Image

".........Zimmerman’s script transplants BONNIE & CLYDE to mid-70’s America and is peppered with cinematic allusions, including a doomed deputy named Abel Gance. He shows us the ennui of the character’s lives, all of whom are societal outcasts that together form their own version of the nuclear family unit.
Mark L. Lester takes the director’s chair; he’s known for some interesting Exploitation films of his own .............

• Like 1

late Sun., 1-24                                                           Silent Sundays...............                   

(times ET)

2:15                                                                           TCM Imports............
am
Kika Profile Image
  • Like 2
17 hours ago, Vidor said:

Mary Pickford hated "Rosita" so much she tried to have it destroyed.

Just to add a bit of context, early articles after the movie came out had Mary praising the film and being happy to play a more sexual grown character. She wanted a little edge. It was the public that turned against Pickford with this role and the movie Dorothy Vernon of Hadden Hall 1924 which I hope TCM screens next as a future  Pickford premiere. As a result of her fans almost “canceling” her, she put out an article asking her fans what she play next?? The replies were back to the “little girl” types like Pollyanna, Heidi, Little Princess etc. some of which she had already played. So she wrote the screenplay for Little Annie Rooney and signed it in her grandmothers name for some reason. She went back to her “Little girl” role and fans were once again satisfied. Years later when alcoholism took over her life and she became reclusive, she did bizarre interviews where she attacked Rosita and called it the worst most stupidest movie she ever did and that she didn’t even give her prints to the Library of Congress or any archive. As a result, the prints she owned deteriorated and lost for several decades. Finally I believe recently, they were able to restore the film using prints with Russian subtitles   from an archive in eastern Europe. 
anyway, in conclusion, Pickford in the beginning thought of it as her best acting work and thought the direction was what she needed. She didn’t have a yes men director like she normally used, she had a very stubborn perfectionist German director.  Anyway, sorry for the long response. I’m a bit of an amateur Pickford historian. 

• Thanks 4
4 hours ago, MerryPickford said:

The replies were back to the “little girl” types like Pollyanna, Heidi, Little Princess etc. some of which she had already played.

Ominous sign for her future.

BTW ................this was a premiere

12:00
am
Munster, Go Home! (1966)

1h 36m | Comedy | TV-PG
Ghoulish-looking Herman Munster inherits an estate from a British uncle and take...
Director
Earl Bellamy
Cast
Fred Gwynne, Al Lewis, Yvonne De Carlo, Hermione Gingold

:rolleyes:
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, mr6666 said:

BTW ................this was a premiere

12:00am

Munster, Go Home! (1966)

I actually found this entertaining. 🙂

Here are the TCM premieres for February, as determined by MovieCollectorOH’s report published on January 1.

Notes:
- The dates shown are based on a programming day starting at 6 am ET and running past midnight.
- On Saturdays, TCM is premiering episodes of The New Adventures of Tarzan serial along with selected cartoons, so these are listed separately.

- Feature Films

Feb 1 - Change of Habit 1969
Feb 1 - The Food of the Gods (1976)
Feb 2 - Avalanche Express (1979)
Feb 4 - Battle Beneath the Earth (1967)
Feb 5 - Friday Foster (1975)
Feb 19 - Piranha (1978)
Feb 19 - Tintorera (1977)
Feb 20 - Sangre Negra (1951) (2 showings, Noir Alley)
Feb 26 - Hiding Out (1987)
Feb 26 - Out of Bounds (1986)
Feb 28 - To Sleep with Anger (1990)
Feb 28 - Walk Cheerfully (1930)
Feb 28 - Black Panthers (1968) (docu.)
Feb 28 - Lions Love (...and Lies) (1969)

- Shorts

Feb 4 - Voyage to the Sky (1937)
Feb 25 - Dreams (1940)
Feb 28 - Uncle Yanco (1967) (docu.)

- Saturdays: Serials

Feb 6 - The New Adventures of Tarzan Ch. 6: Fatal Fangs (1935)
Feb 13 - (special weekend programming)
Feb 20 - The New Adventures of Tarzan Ch. 7: Flaming Waters (1935)
Feb 27 - The New Adventures of Tarzan Ch. 8: Angry Gods (1935)

- Saturdays: Cartoons

Feb 6 - MGM Cartoons: Little Rural Riding Hood (1949)
Feb 6 - Popeye: Moving Aweigh (1944)
Feb 13 - (special weekend programming)
Feb 20 - MGM Cartoons: Mutts About Racing (1958)
Feb 20 - Popeye: She-Sick Sailors (1944)
Feb 27 - Popeye: Tops in the Big Top (1945)

Thanks as always to MCOH!

• Thanks 2

late Fri., 1-29 for                                     Underground......

(times ET)

2:00
AM
When a Stranger Calls Profile Image

".......Thanks to its chilling “Have you checked the children?” curtain raiser, the film became a substantial cult hit on TV and home video and is now the most famous incarnation of a common urban legend about a babysitter being harassed with phone calls from a killer inside the house. ......

3:45
AM
The Caller Profile Image

".........A chilling movie where nothing is what it seems. You spend the entire film trying to discern who the "villain" is. This sort of thing must have impeccable acting to succeed, and does. McDowell is exquisite, the perfect choice.

Subsequent viewings are also rewarding, but you watch the movie from a complete different perspective........

• Like 1

late Sun.,  early Mon., 2-1                                            TCM Imports......

(times ET)

02:00 AM   

Live Flesh (1997)

"....loosely based on the eponymous 1986 book by British crime writer Ruth Rendell. ...."

Dir:  Pedro Almodóvar,    Actors: Liberto Rabal, Francesca Neri, Javier Bardem.....

Runtime: 101 mins Genre: null Rating: null
    Color: false .. AR: null .. Letterbox: true .. CC: true
    Theme: TCM IMPORTS

"..... José Arroyo in Sight and Sound praised the film’s "emotional pitch: raw, fearful, passionate", its brilliant cinematic qualities and the high standard of acting by the five leads. In Neon magazine, Martin Aston concluded that "sexy movies are rarely this thrilling, thrillers never this sexy- and the two seldom combine so movingly"......

see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_Flesh_(film)

2021-02-01

04:00 AM    

All About My Mother (1999)

".....shows student doctors being trained in how to persuade grieving relatives to allow organs to be used for transplant, focusing on the mother of a teenager killed in a road accident. All About My Mother deals with complex issues such as AIDS, homosexuality, faith, and existentialism. .....

Dir: directed by Pedro Almodóvar

starring Cecilia Roth, Marisa Paredes, Candela Peña, Antonia San Juan, Penélope Cruz and Rosa Maria Sardà.

Runtime: 101 mins Genre: null Rating: null
    Color: false .. AR: null .. Letterbox: true .. CC: false
    Theme: TCM IMPORTS

"........The film was a commercial and critical success internationally, winning the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film in addition to the Golden Globe for Best Foreign Language Film .......

see:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_About_My_Mother#Critical_reception_in_the_United_States

=====================================

-THANKS,  MovieCollectorOH

:D

• Like 1
late Mon.,  2-1,  early Tue, February 2

3:30
am
The Food Of The Gods Profile Image

"........loosely based on a portion of the 1904 H. G. Wells novel The Food of the Gods and How It Came to Earth. The film reduced Wells' tale to an "Ecology Strikes Back" scenario, common in science fiction movies at the time.

Michael Medved gave it the Golden Turkey Award for "Worst Rodent Movie of All Time".

The New York Times called the film "a stunningly ridiculous mixture of science-fiction and horror-film clichés."[6]Gene Siskel of the Chicago Tribune gave the film half of one star out of four and wrote, "The heavy television ad campaign promises six-foot roosters and panther-sized rats. What it should promise, if truth-in-labeling applied to film ads, is rotten special effects and a laughable script.".....

s ee:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Food_of_the_Gods_(film)

;)

-NOW I just GOTS to see it!!

• Like 1

I honestly do not see why "Change of Habit" is considered a Golden Turkey. I haven't seen it since I was a teenager, but I remember it as charming. And Elvis can be good in a film if you give him decent material. 

3 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

I honestly do not see why "Change of Habit" is considered a Golden Turkey. I haven't seen it since I was a teenager, but I remember it as charming. And Elvis can be good in a film if you give him decent material. 

The award was for "Worst Performance as a Clergyman or Nun: Mary Tyler Moore in Change of Habit".

I haven't read the original review describing the award, but it seems like Elvis movies would have been an easy target for reviewers at the time, even if it was not really justified.  The IMDB rating for Change of Habit is currently 6.1, which is not bad by any means.  In comparison with other films on the schedule tonight, Plan 9 from Outer Space has a rating of 4.0, The Swarm is 4.5, and The Conqueror with John Wayne is 3.7

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, mr6666 said:
late Mon.,  2-1,  early Tue, February 2

3:30
am
The Food Of The Gods Profile Image

"........loosely based on a portion of the 1904 H. G. Wells novel The Food of the Gods and How It Came to Earth. The film reduced Wells' tale to an "Ecology Strikes Back" scenario, common in science fiction movies at the time.

Michael Medved gave it the Golden Turkey Award for "Worst Rodent Movie of All Time".

The New York Times called the film "a stunningly ridiculous mixture of science-fiction and horror-film clichés."[6]Gene Siskel of the Chicago Tribune gave the film half of one star out of four and wrote, "The heavy television ad campaign promises six-foot roosters and panther-sized rats. What it should promise, if truth-in-labeling applied to film ads, is rotten special effects and a laughable script.".....

s ee:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Food_of_the_Gods_(film)

;)

-NOW I just GOTS to see it!!

I'm sure Change of Habit is NOT a premiere. TCM has shown it several times.

39 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

The award was for "Worst Performance as a Clergyman or Nun: Mary Tyler Moore in Change of Habit".

I haven't read the original review describing the award, but it seems like Elvis movies would have been an easy target for reviewers at the time, even if it was not really justified.  The IMDB rating for Change of Habit is currently 6.1, which is not bad by any means.  In comparison with other films on the schedule tonight, Plan 9 from Outer Space has a rating of 4.0, The Swarm is 4.5, and The Conqueror with John Wayne is 3.7

LMREO! Mary didnt have much luck in her film career. This is basically a TV movie and plays like one. I wouldn't say it's awful, but it has its good share of laughs trying to be "with it". Poor Mary has to choose whether to ditch her vows for Elvis or stay a nun! LOL. Backlot production values. I seem to remember Ed Asner was in it!  :D

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

I'm sure Change of Habit is NOT a premiere. TCM has shown it several times.

I must respectfully disagree with you, given the MCOH database we use to identify premieres.  My own records go back almost 10 years, and I don't see it scheduled on TCM during that period either.  Might you be thinking of another channel?