Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just now, cmovieviewer said:

I must respectfully disagree with you, given the MCOH database we use to identify premieres.  My own records go back almost 10 years, and I don't see it scheduled on TCM during that period either.  Might you be thinking of another channel?

No, because I watched it on TCM. It's been shown several times, I'm sure. it's not something I would have watched on another channel. It's possible it hasnt been shown in quite awhile.

My own source, who has painstakingly created an independant broadcast log going back to the beginning of 2011 (making a record of every single thing shown - not just what's on the schedule - but what was actually shown), has given me data which agrees with cmovieviewer.

Before that my data relies on published official schedules, so something might have happened then.  Multiple times?  I kind of doubt it.  It would have had to have fallen through the cracks each and every time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Do you have any evidence to support that though?

My memory. And it's NOT going! (at least in this case)

20 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Remember, Robert Osborne did intros on The Movie Channel for years before he joined TCM.  Could it have been on TMC?

I've never had The Movie Channel in my cable selections.

I have to say I know I saw Change of Habit on tv  a few years back and I think it was TCM. I really respect the hard work MCO puts into this and you maybe correct in this case but I do remember seeing the film and I think it might have been TCM.

• Like 1

late Fri., 2-5                                                       Underground.........

3:00
am (ET)
Friday Foster Profile Image

In her swan song as queen of the B's, Pam Grier stars as fashion photographer Friday Foster, who uncovers a white plot to murder black leaders--as she uncovers her own fab physique along the way...
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

late Sat., 2-20                                           Noir Alley........

12:00
am (ET)
Native Son Profile Image

"In Chicago's "black belt," where nearly half a million African Americans are crowded in, Hannah Thomas lives in a small kitchenette with three children, Vera, Buddy and her oldest, twenty-five-year-old Bigger, having left the South twelve years earlier following the lynching of her husband. ........

"........ there was next to no budget, the cast and crew (including the starring role) were all amateurs, the director was not American and had never made an American film before this, the film had to be shot in Argentina, and "Native Son" is such a dense, complex, psychological piece of work to begin with.

But, if you look at this as a simple B-movie melodrama with a racial subtext that was badly missing from almost all of the films of its day, it isn't bad. In film, you don't get motivation, you get action, and the novel "Native Son" was all about hidden motivations and desires. Maybe it was a bad idea to even attempt to make Wright's novel into a film, but one must give him and the filmmakers credit for trying. In the era just before the McCarthy hearings and the blacklist, a feature film released to the public that was even half as potent as Wright's novel would have been commendable. ......"

"........its exhibition in 1951 proved rocky. Characteristically, Variety lamented its anti-American sentiment but predicted box office success in Latin America on precisely that basis. Details of Native Son’s performance abroad are scant, but the film received great resistance in the US, with the New York State Censors demanding extensive cuts. It was rejected outright in Ohio for “present[ing] racial frictions at a time when all groups should be united against everything that is subversive.” When the Chicago Defender finally got a chance to see the film in New York, the pre-release puffery of its earlier dispatch was quickly refuted:

“Native Son” on film has its “Bigger Thomas,” the hero but here the likeness ends. This despite the fact that Richard Wright who wrote the book is cast in that important role. In fact you dislike the pix as much because of the presence of Wright as anything else. Wright the author and Wright the actor suffer quite a bit in comparison—one with the other.

However the trouble with Pierre Chenal and Richard Wright’s movie version of “Native Son” does not begin with portrayal of “Bigger” Thomas nor does it end there….

.......The Defender review ended with the sad and extraordinary verdict that Native Son on screen was no better or worse than The Birth of a Nation......"

see:  https://www.chicagofilmsociety.org/2011/07/02/native-son-shot-in-buenos-aires-restored-in-dayton/

:unsure:
  • Like 1

Here are the TCM premieres for March, as determined by MovieCollectorOH’s TCM schedules database.

Notes:
- The dates shown are based on a programming day starting at 6 am ET and running past midnight.
- On Saturdays, TCM is premiering episodes of The New Adventures of Tarzan serial along with selected cartoons, so these are listed separately.

- Feature Films

Mar 5 - Revolt in the Big House (1958)
Mar 5 - RoboCop 2 (1990)
Mar 12 - Scissors (1991)
Mar 12 - Schizoid (1980)
Mar 14 - Berlin: Symphony of a Great City (1927)
Mar 14 - À propos de Nice (1930) (Doc.)
Mar 17 - The Steel Fist (1952)
Mar 21 - Leon Morin, Priest (1961)
Mar 26 - Angels in the Outfield (1994)
Mar 27 - Luther (1974)
Mar 28 - Bianco, Rosso e... (1973)

- Shorts

Mar 2 - Strictly Unreliable (1932)
Mar 6 - St. Helena and its "Man of Destiny" (1936) (Doc.)

- Saturdays: Serials

Mar 6 - The New Adventures of Tarzan Ch. 9: Doom's Brink (1935)
Mar 13 - The New Adventures of Tarzan Ch. 10: Secret Signals (1935)
Mar 20 - The New Adventures of Tarzan Ch. 11: Death's Fireworks (1935)
Mar 27 - The New Adventures of Tarzan Ch. 12: Operator No. 17 (1935)

- Saturdays: Cartoons

Mar 6 - Popeye: Shape Ahoy (1945)
Mar 13 - MGM Cartoons: Bottles (1936)
Mar 13 - Popeye: For Better or Nurse (1945)
Mar 20 - MGM Cartoons: The Cuckoo Clock (1950)
Mar 20 - Popeye: Mess Production (1945)
Mar 27 - Popeye: House Tricks? (1946)

Thanks as always to MCOH!

• Thanks 3

late Fri., 2-26                                           Underground............

times ET

2:00
am
Hiding Out Profile Image

After a 29-year-old bond trader testifies against a mob boss in court, his life is in danger. In order to hide from the mob, he conceals his identity and manages to pass as a 17-year-old student. He finds that life as a teenager has changed since he attended high school, but is adjusting well...until ........

".....Roger Ebert compared the film to Like Father, Like Son, also released in 1987, in that it was an "example of the newest Hollywood genre, the Generation Squeeze, in which plots artificially combine adult and teenage elements" in order to attract the latter to the movie theater while attracting enough of an adult audience for the success of the rental market.......

The Time Out Film Guide called the film "predictable, slackly plotted nonsense, marginally redeemed by a genial young cast."[

4:00
am
Out of Bounds Profile Image

Daryl Cage's parents think that he will have a better life if he leaves the family farm and goes to live with his brother in the city. So Daryl makes the trip, but when there is a baggage mix up at the airport, he finds that he has gotten a bag full of drugs......

"......Caryn James of The New York Times wrote that the "film wants to be a realistic thriller, but it merely acts out kids' fantasies of heroism and adventure, with drugs and rock music thrown in for a contemporary twist."......

• Like 1
14 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

The TCM premiere of the short film Inner Eye (1972), originally scheduled for 11:30 pm ET Saturday March 6, appears to have been removed from the schedule.

The list of March premieres posted above has been updated.

I'm guessing to be replaced by a Wine Club commercial, or something about hats; maybe bowties?

Fri., 3-5

(times ET)

10:00
am
Revolt in the Big House Profile Image

(sorry for late post)          :(

4:15                                                                   Underground II..........
am
Robocop 2 Profile Image

follows RoboCop (Weller) as he becomes embroiled in a scheme made by Omni Consumer Products to bankrupt and take over the city while also fighting the spread of an street drug and its leader, Cain (Noonan).

"........ Rotten Tomatoes retrospectively collected 37 reviews to give the film a score of 30%, with an average rating of 4.7 out of 10. The site's consensus reads, "A less satisfying rehash that generally lives down to the negative stereotype of sequels, Robocop 2 tries to deliver more of everything and ends up with less".[.....
The plot element of Detroit's bankruptcy received attention from the news media after this actually happened in 2013.......

:unsure:
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 3/5/2021 at 12:14 PM, wbogacz said:

I'm guessing to be replaced by a Wine Club commercial, or something about hats; maybe bowties?

I was wrong, none of the above. (sssh!, they may be watching us!).

They completed a night of India by filling the space with 3 back-to-back Fitzpatrick Traveltalks:

India on Parade (1937) from before India's independence, then 2 from after:

Ancient India (1952), and

Land of the Taj Mahal (1952).

Additionally, they introduced their project "Reframed", then a bio of Paul Henreid, by his daughter Monika.

Wed., 3-17

6:15
am  ( ET)
The Steel Fist Profile Image

In an unidentified Central European country "somewhere behind the Iron Curtain," a group of students stage a riot to protest the Soviet occupying government's forced labor program. Student Erik Kardin leads the protest, and when the police hunt for him, turns for help to his uncle, Prof. Kardin. Unknown to Erik, Kardin is the secret leader of an underground rebel society, and immediately deduces that the state will pursue the boy mercilessly, in order to set an example to the rest of the country. Kardin sets in motion a plan to smuggle Erik to the country's border, where underground workers can help him escape. ......

• Like 1