Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Not exactly a premiere BUT... Dancing Sweeties (1930) hasn't aired on TCM since 2005. It's just a B programmer, but it is a taste of that urban look and feel Warner Brothers was going for in its infancy. It stars Grant Withers, who had a rather sad life on the whole, and Sue Carol who was married to Alan Ladd. It's one of my very guilty pleasures. 

3-24  9:30AM EST.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sat., 3-27

times ET

10:15
pm
Luther Profile Image

=========================================================

TCM Imports........
 late Sun., 3-28

Here are the TCM premieres for April (31 Days of Oscar), as determined by MovieCollectorOH’s TCM schedules database.

Note - The dates shown are based on a programming day starting at 6 am ET and running past midnight.

Apr 3 - Carol (2015)
Apr 4 - The End of the Affair (1999)
Apr 14 - Leaving Las Vegas (1995)
Apr 17 - Mona Lisa (1986)
Apr 18 - Nebraska (2013)
Apr 20 - Passion Fish (1992)
Apr 29 - The Truman Show (1998)
Apr 29 - Twice in a Lifetime (1985)

Thanks as always to MCOH!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Thu, April 15
2:00
am (ET)
Leaving Las Vegas Profile Image

An avowed alcoholic, Ben drank away his family, friends and, finally, his job. With deliberate resolve, he burns the remnants of his life and heads for Las Vegas to end it all in one final binge. On the strip, Ben picks up a street-smart hooker named Sera in what might have been another excess in his...

Mike Figgis

".........Released to glowing reviews, Leaving Las Vegas was a hit with audiences and critics alike. Roger Ebert gave the film his highest rating, writing: "The story is about two wounded, desperate, marginal people, and how they create for each other a measure of grace." Janet Maslin wrote that the film is "Passionate and furiously alive… This film simply works as a character study, pitilessly well observed and intimately familiar with its terrain."

It nominated for numerous awards around the world, including Academy Awards nominations for best actor Nicolas Cage, actress Elisabeth Shue, and for Figgis for direction and screenplay. Nicolas Cage took home the Best Actor award...............

se e:  https://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/81142/leaving-las-vegas#articles-reviews?articleId=021190

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sun., 4-18

8:00
pm (ET)
Nebraska Profile Image

After receiving a sweepstakes letter in the mail, a cantankerous old alcoholic thinks he's struck it rich and wrangles his son into taking a road trip across the heartland of America to claim the fortune.
  • Like 1
Wed, April 21

1:45
am (E T)
Passion Fish Profile Image

After becoming a paraplegic in an accident, a soap opera star returns to her home in Louis...The story focuses on the relationship between the actress and her nurse.

".........There are elements here of a vaguely similar relationship in "Driving Miss Daisy," but Sayles has his own film, direct and original, and in the struggle of wills between these two characters he creates two of the most interesting human portraits of the year......"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here are the TCM premieres for May, as determined by MovieCollectorOH’s TCM schedules database.

Notes:
- The dates shown are based on a programming day starting at 6 am ET and running past midnight.
- Shorts and cartoons are listed separately.

- Feature Films

May 3 - Three Daughters: The Postmaster (1961)
May 3 - Three Daughters: Monihara (1961)
May 3 - Three Daughters: Samapti (1961)
May 3 - The Holy Man (1965)
May 3 - An Enemy of the People (1989)
May 3 - The Stranger (1991)
May 7 - The Whistle at Eaton Falls (1951)
May 7 - Plan 9 from Outer Space Table Read (2020)
May 8 - Tex Avery: The King of Cartoons (1988) (doc.)
May 8 - I Love Trouble (1948)
May 8 - Nichols and May: Take Two (1996) (doc.)
May 8 - From Broadway to Hollywood (2015) (doc.)
May 9 - Her Man (1930)
May 9 - Hollywood Home Movies: Stars at Work and Play (2021) (doc.)
May 9 - So This is Paris (1926)
May 11 - Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon (1970)
May 16 - Run Lola Run (1998)
May 18 - Precious (2009)
May 18 - Fat Girl (2001)
May 23 - Youth of the Beast (1963)
May 23 - Everything Goes Wrong (1960)
May 24 - Chaplin (1992)
May 27 - High Hopes (1988)
May 28 - The Trap (1966)

- Shorts

May 4 - Helping Hands (1941)
May 7 - Let Me Come In (2021)
May 9 - La Chambre (1972)

- Cartoons

May 8 - Tex Avery at MGM (1943 - 1955) (collection)
May 15 - MGM Cartoons: Wild Honey (1942)
May 15 - Popeye: Klondike Casanova (1946)
May 22 - MGM Cartoons: What's Buzzin' Buzzard? (1943)
May 22 - Popeye: Peep in the Deep (1946)

Thanks as always to MCOH!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Thurs.,  4-29

10:15
pm (ET)
The Truman Show Profile Image

The film that made critics sit up and take notice of Jim Carrey's dramatic chops, the legendary funnyman is Truman Burbank in "The Truman Show," director Peter Weir's satirical look at a man raised from infancy to adulthood in front of television cameras.

".......It was a commercial hit and earned solid reviews. New York Times critic Bernard Weinraub called it "the most subversive studio film of the summer." The film was nominated for three major Academy Awards, for Peter Weir's direction, Andrew Niccol's original screenplay, and for supporting actor Ed Harris. Harris and Jim Carrey won Golden Globe awards for their performances and Niccol won a BAFTA, just a few of the many awards the film won.

In hindsight, the film was remarkably prescient......."

& early Fri. 5-30

• Like 2

Getting ahead of myself here perhaps, but don't miss Whistle at Eaton Falls (1951). Same for So This Is Paris (1926). The last time I saw either of them they were faded scratchy VHS quality which means that somebody somewhere has cleaned them up. I just checked and So This Is Paris is still on the schedule. It was actually made by WB, but I can't believe this is a Warner Bros. restoration in the age of AT&T when they could just use the money involved to stuff a few more dollars into the pockets of their overpaid executives. 

• Thanks 1

I did not include these on the official list for this month, but TCM is featuring the premiere of the following restored versions during the TCM Film Festival:

May 6 - Doctor X (1932) (1:30 am ET late Thursday)
May 8 - They Won’t Believe Me (1947) (8 pm ET) (Eddie Muller is supposed to do the intro.)

(The above films have previously been shown on TCM in unrestored versions.)

The Film Festival has also scheduled the premiere of the following shorts:

May 7 - Let Me Come In (2021) (3:15 am ET late Friday)
May 9 - La Chambre (1972) (05:55 am ET late Sunday / early Monday morning)

(I added these shorts to the list above.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 4/27/2021 at 4:29 PM, cmovieviewer said:

Here are the TCM premieres for May
- Feature Films
May 8 - Tex Avery: The King of Cartoons (1988) (doc.)

May 8 - Nichols and May: Take Two (1996) (doc.)
May 9 - Hollywood Home Movies: Stars at Work and Play (2021) (doc.)

May 11 - Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon (1970)

May 18 - Precious (2009)

May 24 - Chaplin (1992)

Thank you for that list! I did not see the Nichols/May and Home Movies documentaries on Ohio's decoded schedule. Looking forward to the Tex Avery doc, hope it's more actual information on his personal life & career than gushing opinions from random celebrities.

I know Junie Moon has been shown before because I've recorded it. I like that movie for some reason, at least I did the first time I saw it.

I really liked Precious although a hard film for some to watch. Watching with someone else for further discussion helped me a lot- I think it effects people differently.

Chaplin is one of my favorite movies. Everyone I've ever shown it to loves it too.

• Thanks 1

FRI., 5-7

(times ET)

am

10:00
am
The Whistle at Eaton Falls Profile Image

"Upon the bankruptcy and auctioning off of the Granite State Shoe company in the small town of Eaton Falls, New Hampshire, the community's economic hopes, as well as its historic whistle, are passed on to the last surviving local company, Doubleday Plastics. Chief machinist and local union leader Brad Adams meets with Doubleday's president Daniel Doubleday to learn that the company's earnings have plummeted due to soaring production costs associated with outdated machinery. When Brad states that the machinists would welcome modern equipment, Dan admits that the only way for the company to afford new machines and remain solvent would be for half of the workers to be laid off. Brad protests that the union would never agree .............

".......You'll be reminded of the Frank Capra school of storytelling with unforgettable performances by a terrific cast; and the taut plotline, prophetic in its day, will be now all too familiar to many who have since seen the problems faced by similar mom-and-pop firms in today's fiercely-competitive corporate marketplace. You'll find every scene absorbing in this underrated Siodmak masterpiece. ......

pm
SF Sketchfest Presents Plan 9 from Outer Space Table Read Profile Image

SF Sketchfest Presents a table read of Ed Wood’s Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959), adapted by comedian Dana Gould
and featuring Maria Bamford, Bobcat Goldthwait, Oscar Nuñez, Laraine Newman, Bob Odenkirk, David Koechner, Janet Varney, Jonah Ray, Paul F. Tompkins, Gary Anthony...

• Like 1
On 3/23/2021 at 11:59 PM, LsDoorMat said:

Not exactly a premiere BUT... Dancing Sweeties (1930) hasn't aired on TCM since 2005. It's just a B programmer, but it is a taste of that urban look and feel Warner Brothers was going for in its infancy. It stars Grant Withers, who had a rather sad life on the whole, and Sue Carol who was married to Alan Ladd. It's one of my very guilty pleasures. 

3-24  9:30AM EST.

Grant Withers was Loretta Young's first husband. Think it was annulled.

sorry, late...... :(

Sat., 5-8

am
ilovetrouble1947.78829.jpg?w=900
I Love Trouble (1948)
1h 34m | Mystery
A wealthy man hires a detective to investigate his wife's past. The detective (F...
Director
S. Sylvan Simon
Cast
Franchot Tone, Janet Blair, Janis Carter, Adele Jergens

11:45
am
nicholsandmaytaketwo1996.474127.jpg?w=900
Nichols and May -- Take Two (1996)
1h | Documentary
Documentary about the influential comedy team of Mike Nichols and Elaine May. In...
Director
Phillip Schopper
Cast
Stanley Donen, Steve Martin, Mike Nichols, Jack Rollins

===========================================================

Sun.,   5-9

3:00
am
From Broadway to Hollywood Profile Image
From Broadway to Hollywood (2014)
Documentary, Music
Pianist and historian Richard Glazier explores legendary show tunes and film and televisio...
Director
No Director Available
Cast
No Cast Information Available.

• Like 1

Sun., 5-9

8:45
am
Her Man Profile Image
Her Man (1930)
1h 23m | Romance
At the Thalia, a dancehall in Havana, Frankie, a showgirl, takes the part of Annie, who ha...
Director
Tay Garnett, Robert Fellows
Cast
Helen Twelvetrees, Marjorie Rambeau, Ricardo Cor...

7:00
pm
Hollywood Home Movies: Stars at Work and Play Profile Image
Hollywood Home Movies: Stars at Work and Play (2021)
Documentary
Randy Haberkamp and Lynne Kirste of The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences will sha...
Director
No Director Available
Cast

pm
So This Is Paris Profile Image
So This Is Paris (1926)
1h 8m | Comedy | TV-PG
A married doctor falls for a dancer while his wife develops an attraction to the dancer’s ...
Director
Ernst Lubitsch
Cast
Monte Blue, Patsy Ruth Miller, Lilyan Tashman, ...
  • Like 2
On 5/2/2021 at 11:17 AM, LsDoorMat said:

Getting ahead of myself here perhaps, but don't miss Whistle at Eaton Falls (1951). Same for So This Is Paris (1926). The last time I saw either of them they were faded scratchy VHS quality which means that somebody somewhere has cleaned them up. I just checked and So This Is Paris is still on the schedule. It was actually made by WB, but I can't believe this is a Warner Bros. restoration in the age of AT&T when they could just use the money involved to stuff a few more dollars into the pockets of their overpaid executives. 

"So This Is Paris" was presented in a new 2K scan from studio nitrate 35mm.

On 5/8/2021 at 2:46 PM, mr6666 said:

sorry, late...... :(

Sat., 5-8

am
ilovetrouble1947.78829.jpg?w=900
I Love Trouble (1948)
1h 34m | Mystery
A wealthy man hires a detective to investigate his wife's past. The detective (F...
Director
S. Sylvan Simon
Cast
Franchot Tone, Janet Blair, Janis Carter, Adele Jergens

am
nicholsandmaytaketwo1996.474127.jpg?w=900
Nichols and May -- Take Two (1996)
1h | Documentary
Documentary about the influential comedy team of Mike Nichols and Elaine May. In...
Director
Phillip Schopper
Cast
Stanley Donen, Steve Martin, Mike Nichols, Jack Rollins

===========================================================

Sun.,   5-9

3:00
am
From Broadway to Hollywood Profile Image
From Broadway to Hollywood (2014)
Documentary, Music
Pianist and historian Richard Glazier explores legendary show tunes and film and televisio...
Director
No Director Available
Cast

I Love Trouble was a nice little noir. The print was terrible though. (Public domain?) I'd never seen it before. Great cast. (particularly the females) Raymond Burr in a small part.

• Like 1

late Sun., 5-16                                        TCM Imports...........

2:00
am (ET)
Run Lola Run Profile Image
Lola's boyfriend is an errand boy for a local criminal, and has been given a simple job to... as a test. He only needs to deliver some smuggled goods and return with the payment, but he accidentally leaves the bag with the money on the subway. He calls Lola in a panic --

.............. "More fun than a barrel of Jean-Paul Sartre, pic's energy riffs on an engaging love story and really human performances while offering a series of what-ifs and a blood-stirring soundtrack."..........
Film Threat's Chris Gore said of the film, "[It] delivers everything great foreign films should—action, sex, compelling characters, clever filmmaking, it's unpretentious (a requirement for me) and it has a story you can follow without having to read those annoying subtitles. I can't rave about this film enough—this is passionate filmmaking at its best.,,,,,"

• Like 2

Tues., 5-18                                        Body Images on Film.......

pm (ET)
Precious Profile Image

Set in Harlem in 1987, it is the story of Claireece "Precious" Jones, a sixteen-year-old African-American girl born into a life no one would want. ...........

• Like 1

MON., 5-24

pm (ET)
Chaplin Profile Image

"The film received mixed reviews, lauded for its high production values, but many critics dismissed it as an overly glossy biopic.[7] Although the film was criticized for taking dramatic license with some aspects of Chaplin's life, Downey's performance as Chaplin won universal acclaim........
"Lithe and lively and looking remarkably like the younger Chaplin, Downey does more than master the man’s celebrated duck walk and easy grace. In one of those acts of will and creativity that actors come up with when you least expect it, Downey becomes Chaplin, re-creating his character and his chilly soul so precisely that even the comedian’s daughter Geraldine, a featured player here, was both impressed and unnerved."........
  • Like 2