Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mr6666

TCM Premieres

Yes Newman was great in tne Verdict  James Mason gives also one of his best as the corrupt lawyer.

A good scene with Mason and Newman`  I know how you feel. You don't believe me, but I do know. I'm going to tell you something that I learned when I was your age. I'd prepared a case and old man White said to me, "How did you do?" And, uh, I said, "Did my best." And he said, "You're not paid to do your best. You're paid to WINarrow-10x10.png." And that's what pays for this office... pays for the pro bono work that we do for the poor... pays for the type of law that you want to practice... pays for my whiskey... pays for your clothes... pays for the leisure we have to sit back and discuss philosophy as we're doing tonight. We're paid to win the case. 

The Verdict is clearly not a premiere.  It's been on TCM before and I've used it for one of my programming challenges. 

Barry Lyndon, earlier this week, clearly was a premiere.

The Verdict is clearly not a premiere.  It's been on TCM before and I've used it for one of my programming challenges.

Yeah, I did a double take when Ben made that announcement at the start of tonight's screening.  I recorded in on April 9th of 2013, and I'm 99% certain it wasn't a premiere then.

I was even happier to see Absence of Malice replayed before that for what I think was only the second time ever.  IMO that's Newman's best movie.

AGAIN, a premiere according to NPG.....

Fri., 2-27

5:15 pm ET
Color
150 min
drama

An impoverished farming couple decides to move from Sweden to the U.S. in the 19th century.

DirJan Troell CastMax von Sydow , Liv Ullmann , Eddie Axberg .

Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emigrants_%28film%29

also: http://www.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9A00EFD6133FE73ABC4D51DFBF668389669EDE

hqdefault.jpg

& late Fri., early Sat

3:45 am ET
Color
121 min
TV-14
drama

An Australian mother is suspected of murder when wild dogs carry off her baby.

DirFred Schepisi CastMeryl Streep , Sam Neill , Dale Reeves .

Article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/71958/Cry-in-the-Dark-A/articles.html

cry_in_the_dark_ver2.jpg

late Sat, early Sun. 3-1

4:00 am ET
Color
138 min
TV-14
comedy

A DJ tries to help a homeless madman whose life he had unwittingly ruined.

DirTerry Gilliam CastRobin Williams , Jeff Bridges , Mercedes Ruehl .

"....was one of Williams' finest and most full-bodied performances, ranging from the "hysterically funny to the manic to the utterly sweet to the sensitive and tormented, it's all there."

Article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/23694/Fisher-King-The/articles.html

The_Fisher_King_Poster.jpg

AGAIN, a premiere according to NPG.....

Fri., 2-27

5:15 pm ET
Color

150 min

drama

An impoverished farming couple decides to move from Sweden to the U.S. in the 19th century.

Wonder why 41 minutes is missing. Wikipedia says the running time is 191 minutes. Also wonder why TCM showed the dubbed version rather than the "foreign language" version.

late Sat, early Sun. 3-1

4:00 am ET
Color

138 min

TV-14

comedy

A DJ tries to help a homeless madman whose life he had unwittingly ruined.

DirTerry Gilliam CastRobin Williams , Jeff Bridges , Mercedes Ruehl .

"....was one of Williams' finest and most full-bodied performances, ranging from the "hysterically funny to the manic to the utterly sweet to the sensitive and tormented, it's all there."

Article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/23694/Fisher-King-The/articles.html

The_Fisher_King_Poster.jpg

& why waste such a film premiere at such a dumb hour?? :blink:

Sun., 3-1  (as in the NPG)

times Eastern

8:00 PM Life is Beautiful (1998)

An Italian Jew¿s sense of humor is his only hope when he and his family are put into a concentration camp.

DirRoberto Benigni CastRoberto Benigni , Nicoletta Braschi , Giustino Durano .

C-116 mins, Letterbox Format

10:15 PM Chicago (2002)

In the Roaring Twenties, a murderess tries to turn her trial into a ticket to fame.

DirRob Marshall CastTaye Diggs , Cliff Saunders , Catherine Zeta-Jones , Renee Zellweger, Richard Gere

C-113 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

12:30 AM Shakespeare in Love (1998)

An affair with a noblewoman inspires William Shakespeare to write his first great tragedy.

DirJohn Madden CastGeoffrey Rush , Joseph Fiennes , Gwyneth Paltrow .

C-124 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

2:45 AM Cider House Rules, The (1999)

An orphan trained in medicine sets out to find his place in the world.

DirLasse Hallstr÷m CastTobey Maguire , Charlize Theron , Delroy Lindo, Michael Caine .

C-125 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

Mon., 3-2

(times Eastern)

8:00 PM Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The (2001)

The wizard Gandalf enlists a hobbit and a team of adventurers to protect the One Ring from the evil Sauron.

DirPeter Jackson CastAlan Howard , Noel Appleby , Sean Astin .

C-178 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

11:15 PM Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The (2002)

As Frodo and Sam infiltrate Mordor, their allies try to protect Rohan from the evil Sauron.

DirPeter Jackson CastJohn Rhys-Davies , Bruce Allpress , Sean Astin .

C-179 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

2:30 AM Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, The (2003)

The Fellowship of the Ring fights its last desperate battle to save Middle Earth from the forces of evil.

DirPeter Jackson CastAlan Howard , Noel Appleby , Alexandra Astin .

C-201 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

Ringstrilogyposter.jpg

I think we've had at least one of these films on before, if not in Canada.

always possible.

If you don't agree with the accuracy in NPG, maybe you should contact the editors....

I think we've had at least one of these films on before, if not in Canada.

Yes, I think one of the LORD OF THE RINGS movies has aired on TCM before. It think it was THE RETURN OF THE KING.

last day of 'Oscar Month'

Tues,. 3-3

times Eastern....

8:00 PM Artist, The (2011)

A silent screen swashbuckler faces career problems with the coming of sound.

DirMichel Hazanavicius CastJean Dujardin , BTrTnice BTjo , John Goodman .

BW-98 mins, CC,

10:00 PM King's Speech, The (2010)

When he¿s forced to take the throne, George VI approaches an unconventional therapist to cure his stammer.

DirTom Hooper CastColin Firth , Geoffrey Rush , Helena Bonham Carter .

C-115 mins, CC,

12:30 AM No Country for Old Men (2007)

A poacher has to elude the Texas Rangers and the mob after stealing drug money.

DirJoel Coen CastJavier Bardem , Josh Brolin , Beth Grant .

C-122 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

2:45 AM Queen, The (2006)

Queen Elizabeth II struggles with declining popularity in the wake of Princess Diana¿s death.

DirStephen Frears CastHelen Mirren , Michael Sheen , James Cromwell .

C-103 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

"Another night of TCM premieres boasts no less than three Best Picture winners, with each also earning acting Oscars®: No Country for Old Men (2007), Best Supporting Actor to Javier Bardem; The King’s Speech (2010), Best Actor to Colin Firth; and The Artist (2011), Best Actor to Jean Dujardin. The last film marked the first time a French film and actor had won these awards. Another winner was Helen Mirren, voted Best Actress for playing Queen Elizabeth II in The Queen (2006)."

l2:45 AM Queen, The (2006)

Queen Elizabeth II struggles with declining popularity in the wake of Princess Diana¿s death.

DirStephen Frears CastHelen Mirren , Michael Sheen , James Cromwell .

C-103 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

I enjoyed THE QUEEN, especially Helen Mirren and Michael Sheen's performances as Queen Elizabeth II and Tony Blair respectively.

What surprised me the most was how negative Prince Philip and the Queen Mother came across in this movie and how postively Prince Charles was portrayed.

on TCM Imports....

late Sun., 3-8     French director Agnes Varda  (all Premieres per NPG)

times eastern

2:00 AM Du cote de la cote (1958)

The French Riviera comes to life only after the tourists are gone.

C-26 mins,

Article: http://sensesofcinem...ote-de-la-cote/

2:00 AM Diary of a Pregnant Woman (1958)

A pregnant filmmaker shares her observations and fantasies.

BW-16 mins,

Article: http://www.tcm.com/t...n/articles.html

3:00 AM Le Bonheur (1965)

A married young carpenter tries to make his mistress part of his family.

DirAgnes Varda CastJean-Claude Drouot , Claire Drouot , Sandrine Drouot .

C-80 mins,

Article: http://www.tcm.com/t...r/articles.html

Le_bonheur.jpg

• Like 1

Sun., 3-15, for Treasures from Disney Vault:

(times Eastern)

8:00 PM Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1959)  

An Irishman enlists help from the king of the leprechauns to secure his daughter's future.

DirRobert Stevenson CastAlbert Sharpe , Janet Munro , Sean Connery .

C-91 mins, CC,

9:45 PM Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color: I Captured the King of the Leprechauns (1959)  

In this episode of Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color, Walt takes a trip to Ireland in search of actual leprechauns.

BW-49 mins, CC,

10:45 PM Babes in the Woods (1932)  

Two children stumble on a clearing in the woods where they encounter gnomes and an evil witch.

DirBurt Gillett

C-8 mins, CC,

11:00 PM Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color: Story of the Animated Drawing, The (1955)  

This episode of Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color takes a look at the history of animation and animation techniques throughout the ages.

BW-49 mins, CC,

12:00 AM Three Caballeros, The (1944)  

With his friends Jose Carioca and Panchito, Donald Duck discovers the joys of Latin American life.

DirNorman Ferguson CastAurora Miranda , Carmen Molina , Dora Luz .

C-72 mins, CC,

1:30 AM Walt & El Grupo (2008)  

Walt Disney leads his production team on a good will tour of Latin America during World War II.

DirTheodore Thomas

C-107 mins, CC,

3:30 AM Fighting Prince of Donegal, The (1966)  

British colonists kidnap a rebel Irish prince.

DirMichael O'Herlihy CastPeter McEnery , Susan Hampshire , Tom Adams .

C-110 mins, CC,

Sun., 3-15, for Treasures from Disney Vault:

(times Eastern)

8:00 PM Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1959)  

An Irishman enlists help from the king of the leprechauns to secure his daughter's future.

C-91 mins, CC,

9:45 PM Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color: I Captured the King of the Leprechauns (1959)  

In this episode of Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color, Walt takes a trip to Ireland in search of actual leprechauns.

BW-49 mins, CC,

10:45 PM Babes in the Woods (1932)  

Two children stumble on a clearing in the woods where they encounter gnomes and an evil witch.

DirBurt Gillett

C-8 mins, CC,

11:00 PM Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color: Story of the Animated Drawing, The (1955)  

This episode of Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color takes a look at the history of animation and animation techniques throughout the ages.

BW-49 mins, CC,

12:00 AM Three Caballeros, The (1944)  

With his friends Jose Carioca and Panchito, Donald Duck discovers the joys of Latin American life.

C-72 mins, CC,

1:30 AM Walt & El Grupo (2008)  

Walt Disney leads his production team on a good will tour of Latin America during World War II.

DirTheodore Thomas

C-107 mins, CC,

3:30 AM Fighting Prince of Donegal, The (1966)  

British colonists kidnap a rebel Irish prince.

DirMichael O'Herlihy CastPeter McEnery , Susan Hampshire , Tom Adams .

C-110 mins, CC,

What TCM has done with Disney is to showcase the blandest material possible while neglecting the films that put them on the map in the first place:  The technicolor Donald Duck / Mickey Mouse / Goofy / Black Pete short cartoons.    A few hours worth of those would be a thousand times more enjoyable than embarrassments like Darby O'Gill. 

the only thing that sounds interesting is that fighting prince of donegal. tcm oughta knock of the cr ap and give us a whole night's worth of vintage goofy cartoons. I wanna see the one where he drives to work on the california freeway.

tcm programmers have made poor selections here...and we can plainly see this.

tcm...

REVEILLE! outta your cots and grab your socks!

darby o'gill indeed...HORSE RADISH! :angry:

the only thing that sounds interesting is that fighting prince of donegal. tcm oughta knock of the cr ap and give us a whole night's worth of vintage goofy cartoons. I wanna see the one where he drives to work on the california freeway.

tcm programmers have made poor selections here...and we can plainly see this.

tcm...

REVEILLE! outta your cots and grab your socks!

darby o'gill indeed...HORSE RADISH! :angry:

tcm, if you can't do something well...then don't do it! poor selections are only gonna be painful to those concerned.

us, your increasingly disatisfied viewership.

make better choices.....

PLEASE! :angry:

tcm, if you can't do something well...then don't do it! poor selections are only gonna be painful to those concerned.

us, your increasingly disatisfied viewership.

make better choices.....

PLEASE! :angry:

so in the future, please make a little bit more of an effort to do right by your viewers.

it would be just so nice if you would. :)

Sun., 3-15, from Treasures from the Disney Vault:

(times Eastern)

2 childhood classics...

8:00 PM
Color
91 min
TV-G
adventure

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:
D: Robert Stevenson. Albert Sharpe, Janet Munro, Sean Connery, Jimmy O'Dea, Kieron Moore, Estelle Winwood.

"Outstanding Disney fantasy about an Irish caretaker (Sharpe) who spins so many tales that no one believes him when he says he's befriended the King of Leprechauns. An utter delight, with dazzling special effects--and some truly terrifying moments along with the whimsy."

Darby-OGill-Poster.jpg

12:00 AM
Color
72 min
TV-G
musical

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Norman Ferguson. Aurora Miranda, Carmen Molina, Dora Luz, voices of Sterling Holloway, Clarence Nash, Jose Oliviera, Joaquin Garay.

"Colorful Disney pastiche that followed 1940s Good Neighbor Policy by saluting Latin America, through the eyes of Donald Duck. Filled with infectious music (including "Baia,'' "You Belong to My Heart''), eye-popping visuals, amusing cartoon sequences, and clever combinations of live action and animation. Donald, Jose Carioca, and Panchito perform title song in a dazzling display of cartoon wizardry."

The_Three_Caballeros.jpg

late Sun., 3-22  on TCM Imports             Director Alf Sjoberg            2 Premieres....

(times eastern)

2:30 AM
B/W
101 min
TV-PG
drama
Torment (1944)

A high-school student fights to save a shop girl from harassment by a hated teacher.

DirAlf Sjoberg CastStig Jarrel , Mai Zetterling , Christopher Kent .
LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Alf Sjoberg. Mai Zetterling, Stig Jarrel, Alf Kjellin, Olof Winnerstrand.

"Schoolboy Kjellin and girl he falls in love with (Zetterling) are hounded by sadistic teacher Jarrel. Moody and evocative, with a script by Ingmar Bergman. Also known as FRENZY"

Article: http://en.wikipedia....ent_(1944_film)

4:15 AM
B/W
90 min
TV-PG
drama
Miss Julie (1951)

A passionate but arrogant daughter of a count is brought low by her affair with an opportunistic groom in her father's employ.

DirAlf Sjoberg CastAnita Bjork , Ulf Palme ,
 LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Alf Sjoberg. Anita Bjork, Ulf Palme, Marta Dorff, Anders Henrikson.

"Masterful adaptation of August Strindberg's tragic play about the love affair between an aristocratic young woman and a commoner. Superbly acted and photographed, with imaginative use of flashbacks. A milestone in Swedish cinema. Remade in 1999."

Article: http://www.tcm.com/t...e/articles.html

• Like 1

late Sun., 3-22  on TCM Imports             Director Alf Sjoberg            2 Premieres....

(times eastern)

2:30 AM
B/W

101 min

TV-PG

drama
Torment (1944)

A high-school student fights to save a shop girl from harassment by a hated teacher.

Dir: Alf Sjoberg Cast:  Stig Jarrel , Mai Zetterling , Christopher Kent .
LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Alf Sjoberg. Mai Zetterling, Stig Jarrel, Alf Kjellin, Olof Winnerstrand.

"Schoolboy Kjellin and girl he falls in love with (Zetterling) are hounded by sadistic teacher Jarrel. Moody and evocative, with a script by Ingmar Bergman. Also known as FRENZY"

Article: http://en.wikipedia....ent_(1944_film)

4:15 AM
B/W

90 min

TV-PG

drama
Miss Julie (1951)

A passionate but arrogant daughter of a count is brought low by her affair with an opportunistic groom in her father's employ.

Dir: Alf Sjoberg Cast:  Anita Bjork , Ulf Palme ,
 LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Alf Sjoberg. Anita Bjork, Ulf Palme, Marta Dorff, Anders Henrikson.

"Masterful adaptation of August Strindberg's tragic play about the love affair between an aristocratic young woman and a commoner. Superbly acted and photographed, with imaginative use of flashbacks. A milestone in Swedish cinema. Remade in 1999."

Article: http://www.tcm.com/t...e/articles.html

I was going to give a heads up on these two premiers on Imports tonight by Alf Sjöberg. I'm glad you were on ball and beat me to it. Miss Julie (1951) will be a real treat. I have not seen this original version before and I know it will be a real treat to watch. Here is what a poster on IMDB said about the film:

"Its a strong version of the play by Alf Sjoberg, who gets fine performances by all the actors, especially I feel by Julie's father and mother, the Count and Countess, and by Marta Dorff as Katrin. But what really impressed me was the superb cinematography and elegant settings and compositions; the production was superbly done." 

• Like 1