Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1 hour ago, cmovieviewer said:

Sometimes the cast listings for particular movies in the TCM data strangely list actors that are down the credits first.

The 3 premieres late on Tuesday evening (tonight) are part of a tribute to Ned Beatty, who appears in all 3:

Hear My Song (1991) stars Ned Beatty (shown in the photo above), Adrian Dunbar, Brian Flanagan and Constance Cowley.

Silver Streak (1976) does feature Richard Pryor, Gene Wilder, and Jill Clayburgh and also includes Patrick McGoohan and Ned Beatty.

Chattahoochie (1989) stars Gary Oldman, Dennis Hopper, Frances McDormand and Ned Beatty.

TCM often gets its data from the AFI catalog, but I don't see Hear My Song or Chattahoochie listed there (which may be part of the problem).

Chattahoochee (note spelling) is in the AFI catalog, and the stars are listed as Oldman, Hopper, McDormand.  Beatty is listed further down the credit list, and is credited as "Special appearance by..."

https://catalog.afi.com/Film/58441-CHATTAHOOCHEE

Agree that Hear My Song isn't in their catalog, as far as I can tell... 

late FRI., 10-1                                                  Underground  II .....................

4:00
am (ET)
Truck Turner Profile Image
Truck is a bounty hunter who gets a job to track down a guy named Gator. When he and his partner find him, a chase ensues and Gator is killed. This makes Gator's woman, Dorinda, very angry and she puts a hit on Truck.

"Truck Turner is an interesting specimen in the Blaxploitation genre, mostly because it’s not easily classifiable in these terms. Written originally for a white cast, Kaplan instead got the opportunity to helm a more diverse universe, one that’s silly, vicious and ultimately, a lot of fun.............

As striking as it is to see Hayes center stage, the real reason to wade into Truck Turner is for the kooky performance from Nichols, who exudes a bizarre appeal as a rapacious madam who doles out street justice as fiercely as she peddles her cadre of abused hookers. ..........

• Like 1

Missing my NPG e-mail for OCT.   :blink:

but there's THIS for

SAT., 10-2

(times ET)
8:00
pm
Cartoon Carnival Profile Image

".... a feature-length documentary that looks at the birth of animated film, and the often forgotten story of the pioneers of the silent era. To quote the film’s press release: “To many, the history of the animated cartoon begins with the story of Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse, but in reality the story begins as soon as man first dreamed of somehow capturing the moving image. .....

10:45
pm
100th Anniversary of Fleischer Animation – Part 2: The Sound Era  Profile Image

===================================================

"Cartoon Carnival” and Fleischer Tribute on TCM Saturday Oct. 2nd

"The evening will divided into three sections: at 8pm/5pm – CARTOON CARNIVAL, a brand new documentary centered around the meticulous silent animation restoration work of our very own Tommy Jose Stathes (and featuring commentary from many of our favorite animation historians and Cartoon Research contributors). More information on this documentary below – but do not miss it!

That will be followed at 9:45pm/6:45pm by The 100th Anniversary of Fleischer Animation – Part 1: The Silent Era. Tommy Stathes curated this block – which contains the world premiere of several brand new Stathes restorations and rarities. .......

At 10:45pm/7:45pm, TCM will present the 100th Anniversary of Fleischer Animation – Part 2: The Sound Era curated by Tommy and Steve Stanchfield – and features several new Stanchfield/Stathes restorations – and from a curatorial point of view is a perfect selection of Fleischer animated mayhem. .........

see article:  https://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/cartoon-carnival-and-fleischer-tribute-on-tcm-saturday-oct-2nd/

:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

late Sun'; 10-3                                                      

(times ET)
12:30
am
This is Francis X. Bushman Profile Image

at about an hour in length, "This Is Francis X. Bushman," is nonetheless a suitable documentary for its silent-film star subject. Not every biography need be two-hours-plus and in-depth psychologizing investigation. From the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum and Bushman biographers Lon and Debra Davis (authors of the book "King of the Movies: Francis X. Bushman"), ...

• Like 2
7 hours ago, mr6666 said:

late Sun'; 10-3                                                      

(times ET)
12:30
am
This is Francis X. Bushman Profile Image

at about an hour in length, "This Is Francis X. Bushman," is nonetheless a suitable documentary for its silent-film star subject. Not every biography need be two-hours-plus and in-depth psychologizing investigation. From the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum and Bushman biographers Lon and Debra Davis (authors of the book "King of the Movies: Francis X. Bushman"), ...

I love all the documentaries which have aired in this past week alone. I wish we had had a weekly showing of a documentary, like we do Noir, Silents, Imports and Underground!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I love all the documentaries which have aired in this past week alone. I wish we had had a weekly showing of a documentary, like we do Noir, Silents, Imports and Underground!

And there is so many good ones,I just watched one last month on Chaplin done in France of all places-Chaplin was English -after all,more than 2 hours... all new stuff...there is so many,on the American or British side alone,a weekly spotlight was something I suggested 2 years ago.I think we have a better chance of getting a hologram video of Robert Osborne doing the intros i guess...

• Like 1

FRI., 10-8

(times ET)

pm
Movin' With Nancy Profile Image

".........The TV special was unlike most musical programs of its time, with the numbers performed outdoors on locations instead of the usual stage-bound production filmed before a live audience. Sinatra sang while driving down the highway, strolling in the California countryside, and aloft in a hot-air balloon. She performed duets with the guest stars she encountered along the way, with no introductions or interstitial dialog. The general effect was of a dream-like fantasy that flows from one location to the next,.....

1:00
am
The Last of the Secret Agents? Profile Image

"..........a 1966 American comedy film that spoofs the spy film genre, starring the then-popular comedy team of Allen & Rossi. .....
Paramount Pictures had highly successful comedy teams of Bob Hope and Bing Crosby in the 1940s and Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis in the 1950s and no doubt wished to recreate their success with the duo's screen debut in the film. (This proved not to be the case, ......

Marty Allen, Steve Rossi, John Williams, Nancy Sinatra.........

• Like 1

I was watching "This Is Francis X. Bushman" Sunday night and enjoying it, when for some unknown reason the program froze up about 31 minutes into the production.   I switched to other stations, and the same thing happened.  A program would play for 5 seconds, then freeze up.  Each time I went back to TCM and re-wound the Bushman program, it would faithfully and inconveniently stop at the same point of the show where it had stopped initially.  After trying this a few more times, I gave up and went to bed...frustrated!

I was holding out hope that the show would be on Watch TCM, so I could catch the last half of the program...but, not dice! 😣 

• Thanks 1

I reached out to TCM regarding "This is Francis X. Bushman - said the program was an hour long, when m DVR started taping it - it wasn't at the end. An excellent documentary. However due to licensing regulations, this will not appear On Demand or in the Watch TCM app. So Disappointed.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1
On 10/7/2021 at 2:25 PM, midwestan said:

I was watching "This Is Francis X. Bushman" Sunday night and enjoying it, when for some unknown reason the program froze up about 31 minutes into the production.   I switched to other stations, and the same thing happened.  A program would play for 5 seconds, then freeze up.  Each time I went back to TCM and re-wound the Bushman program, it would faithfully and inconveniently stop at the same point of the show where it had stopped initially.  After trying this a few more times, I gave up and went to bed...frustrated!

I was holding out hope that the show would be on Watch TCM, so I could catch the last half of the program...but, not dice! 😣 

I missed much of the doc as well. My cable went out (don't know why) and was only restored toward the end of the film. I was disappointed like you and JACKIEO to find that it wasn't on Watch TCM. 😒

• Thanks 1

MON., 10-11

pm (ET)
Pure Country Profile Image

"........... Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert both gave the film a "Two thumbs down" rating, but their reviews were more mixed than negative. Both praised George Strait's performance, feeling that he was a convincing actor in the lead, especially considering the challenges of a singer becoming an actor, and they both enjoyed Isabel Glasser's performance, but felt the film was undermined by a hokey story, and no moments for satire which would have made the film better.
Film critic Leonard Maltin, in his annual Movie and Video Guide, also gave the film a mainly negative but somewhat mixed review, giving it two stars out of four and saying: "This Strait showcase is mostly pure tedium, though the film picks up some in hour two with the appearance of Glasser, and Rory Calhoun as her father". ..........This movie marked Rory Calhoun's last film appearance. .........

Rory had bad emphysema by 1992 as is rather evident by his thin-ness and his voice.  (He died of it in 1999).  Good to see Rory tonight, though. 

I hadn't seen PURE COUNTRY in years and I rather enjoyed it this evening.  I would've given PURE COUNTRY two-and-a-half stars **½ instead of just the '**' stars Leonard Maltin & Co. gave it. 

late FR I., 10-15                                                     UNDERGROUND  II .................

4:00
am (ET)
Over the Edge Profile Image

".......Jonathan Kaplan began directing with exploitation films for Roger Corman (Night Call Nurses, 1972) but earned mainstream praise with the ambitious Over the Edge (1979), a revelatory look at a new generation of lawless middle class latchkey kids. The planned community 'New Granada' is not a shining city on a hill but a sterile rural suburb that provides few, if any, recreation activities for children and teenagers. .....

I thought OVER THE EDGE had been on TCM before; I'd swear I watched it a few years ago on TCM late at night . . . just like it's programmed this time.

Maybe my brain cells are playing tricks on me but I cannot think of another channel I could've watched it on.  Ergo, I just can't believe this is the first time OVER THE EDGE has been shown on TCM. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I thought OVER THE EDGE had been on TCM before; I'd swear I watched it a few years ago on TCM late at night . . . just like it's programmed this time.

Maybe my brain cells are playing tricks on me but I cannot think of another channel I could've watched it on.  Ergo, I just can't believe this is the first time OVER THE EDGE has been shown on TCM. 

You have a good memory, Over the Edge has been shown on TCM before.  The premiere late Friday is the first TCM Underground film of the evening, River's Edge (1986), currently scheduled at 2:15 AM ET.  (Must be an 'Edge' double feature, I guess.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

You have a good memory, Over the Edge has been shown on TCM before.  The premiere late Friday is the first TCM Underground film of the evening, River's Edge (1986), currently scheduled at 2:15 AM ET.  (Must be an 'Edge' double feature, I guess.)

SORRY..........My mistake (misread the list)  :(

============================================

Late FRI., 10-15                                              UNDERGROUND  I  .......

"...........In a sterile and oppressive rural planned community, a large group of unhappy younger teenagers respond to parental neglect and police harassment by engaging in increasingly larger crimes that culminate in a violent rebellion. The "shocking" aspect of these stories is that the kids involved are from upper middle-class backgrounds -- the old juvenile delinquency arguments about poverty and environmental disadvantage do not apply here. .........

The main characters Matt and Clarissa (Keanu Reeves and **** Skye) talk about the crime but feel no immediate compulsion to do anything about it; they instead discuss the nature of simply not caring about such things. The manic Layne (Crispin Glover) responds by initiating a one-man crime coverup; he pops pills and often passes out in his car. Some of the kids eventually tell the alcoholic loner, **** (Dennis Hopper), what has happened. ...........

Critics went for the picture in a big way; even when not reviewed positively, the film's power as a real-life horror story was duly acknowledged..................Critic Kenneth Turan responded to the grim tone of River's Edge by calling it "The Anti Brat-Pack Movie," an antidote to the cutesy view of teen life then popular in the films of John Hughes. .........

see:  https://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/88392/rivers-edge#articles-reviews?articleId=1450910

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

late SUN., `10-17                                              Silent Sundays.........

12:15
am (ET)
Roaring Road Profile Image

A young man pursues a young lady with the same energy he applies to his other obsession in life, auto racing.

"......American silent action romance film produced by Famous Players-Lasky and distributed by Paramount Pictures. It is taken from the short stories by Byron Morgan; Junkpile Sweepstakes, Undertaker's Handicap, and Roaring Road.

This film was so successful that it spawned a sequel, Excuse My Dust, from stories by the same author........

see:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Roaring_Road

".......Directed by one of Paramount's best, James Cruze (The Covered Wagon, Old Ironsides), early in his career, "The Roaring Road" is the archetypal road race film and one of most entertaining from a wonderful and nearly forgotten silent star Wallace Reid.........

see: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0010635/reviews?ref_=ttexrv_ql_3

• Like 1

MON., 10-18

11:45
pm
The Thing Called Love Profile Image

============================================================

-Times are screwy, since "Thing/Love" is airing NOW .......

my DTV guide says THING/LOVE........TENDER MERCIES.........PAYDAY

:wacko:
  • Thanks 2

late SAT., 10-23                                      NOIR ALLEY...........

2:00
am (ET)
La Bestia Debe Morir Profile Image

When his child is hit by a car, a writer of thrillers is desperate to avenge his death and goes in search of the murderer.

".....It's a moving and atmospheric story with terrific performances by the entire cast. ..........The story sounds dark, and it is, but it's also absorbing and rewarding, building to a "wow" ending. ........

=========================================

-really hard to find ANY info on THIS online      :huh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tue s.,  10-26                                             NEW WAVES AROUND THE WORLD...........

(times ET)

9:45
pm
One Way Ticket to Love Profile Image

backstage romances of an egotistical singer and his under-valued manager, a lovelorn bandman and a nude dancer.
  • Like 3

Here are the TCM premieres for November, as determined by MovieCollectorOH’s TCM schedules database.

Notes:
- The dates shown are based on a programming day starting at 6 am ET and running past midnight.
- Shorts and cartoons are listed separately.

Feature Films

Nov 5 - Taking Tiger Mountain (1983)
Nov 6 - Blondie Plays Cupid (1940)
Nov 6 - Blondie in Society (1941)
Nov 6 - Blondie's Blessed Event (1942)
Nov 7 - Three Outlaw Samurai (1964)
Nov 7 - Sword of the Beast (1965)
Nov 10 - Arrest Bulldog Drummond (1939)
Nov 13 - One False Move (1991)
Nov 14 - The Baker's Wife (1938)
Nov 16 - Listen to a Stranger (1973) (doc.)
Nov 16 - Flavio (1961) (doc.)
Nov 19 - King of Cool (2020) (doc.) (also shown on 20th and 26th)
Nov 19 - The Loveless (1982)
Nov 21 - The Double Life of Veronique (1991)
Nov 23 - The Man in Grey (1943)
Nov 23 - Leadbelly (1976)
Nov 23 - Solomon Northrup's Odyssey (1984)
Nov 23 - Gordon Parks: Moments Without Proper Names (1988) (doc.)
Nov 24 - Where the Lilies Bloom (1974)
Nov 26 - Lust in the Dust (1984)

Shorts

Nov 13 - That Goes Double (1932)

Cartoons

Nov 6 - MGM: Scat Cats (1957)
Nov 6 - Popeye: Popeye's Premiere (1949)
Nov 13 - Popeye: Lumberjack and Jill (1949)
Nov 20 - Popeye: Hot Air Aces (1949)

Thanks as always to MCOH!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

late Oct. 20/30                                                  UNDERGROUND  I  ...............

2:00
am (ET)
Hell Night Profile Image

On Hell Night, the sorority and fraternity pledges at the local college face the initiation ritual of spending the night in old Garth Manor. Four sorority pledges enter the abandoned house, which they are told was the home to a man who killed his wife and three of his four deformed children, and then hanged himself. .........