Find results in...
mr6666

TCM Premieres

I like Holly Hunter.

I am smitten by Holly Hinter

I luhuuurrvvve Holly Hunter

I.. Well, you get the idea.

:P

late Sun., 4-5  TCM Imports               2  PREMIERES          Director Raffaello Matarazzo

times eastern

2:45 AM
B/W
98 min
TV-PG
drama
Tormento (1950)

Youthful rebellion leads a young woman to single motherhood.

DirRaffaello Matarazzo CastAmedeo Nazzari , Yvonne Sanson , Annibale Betrone .

Article: http://www.tcm.com/t...o/articles.html

Tormento.jpg

4:30 AM
B/W
101 min
TV-PG
drama

A recently married woman involves herself her sister's traumatic experience.

DirRaffaello Matarazzo CastFrançoise Rosay , Amedeo Nazzari , Yvonne Sanson .

Article: http://www.tcm.com/t...-/articles.html

51mrqaF4qRL.jpg

sorry, just heard in intro....

tonight, 4-7 under IN THE COMPANY OF LEGENDS:

8:00 pm ET
Color
87 min
TV-14
documentary

A retrospective on the life and career of actor James Stewart, with clips from many of his films and interviews with people who have worked with him.

DirDavid Heeley CastJohnny Carson , James Stewart , Ronald Reagan .

Article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/467039/James-Stewart-A-Wonderful-Life/articles.html

Is MY BLOOD RUNS COLD a premiere? It's not listed as such on TCM's online schedule...

again, as per NPG

late Sun., 4-12   TCM Imports     (2 Premieres)       director Jean Renoir

2:15 am ET
Color
104 min
TV-PG
musical

A café proprietor tries to turn a laundress into a dancing star, despite objections from his current girlfriend.

DirJean Renoir CastJean Gabin , Francoise Arnoul , Maria Felix .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Jean Renoir. Jean Gabin, Francoise Arnoul, Maria Felix, Edith Piaf.

"Not top-drawer Renoir, but still an impressive, enjoyable fiction about beginnings of the Moulin Rouge and impresario Gabin's creation of the cancan. Originally released in the U.S. in 1956; a brilliantly beautiful restored version, with approximately 10m. of additional footage, opened theatrically in 1985. Originally released in France as FRENCH CANCAN at 102m."

l_42590_0046998_457c5918.jpg

4:00 am ET
Color
102 min
TV-G
comedy

The star of a theater company hesitates between three men.

DirJean Renoir CastAnna Magnani , Riccardo Rioli ,

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Jean Renoir. Anna Magnani, Odoardo Spadaro, Nada Fiorelli, Dante Rino, Duncan Lamont, Jean Debucourt.

"Delightful film about an acting troupe touring South America in the 18th century and the amorous adventures of its leading lady. Theatrical and stylized, this is one of the great films about acting--and a stunning achievement in the use of color. Ironically, it was a flop when first released, then critically rediscovered. Photographed by Claude Renoir; music by Vivaldi."

600full-the-golden-coach-poster.jpg

Thanks 666!

I had FRENCH CAN CAN all ready to record after a recommendation of another member of this board two months ago. The very next movie an Anna Magnani? Oy! Luckily, my library has a Criterion copy of that one. Whew! Almost missed it.

What IS it about Magnani? You hear about her and don't really see anything unusual about her from her photos. Then, you see her in a role and WOW she knocks your socks off. Then you find you can't get enough of her. She's pure electricity!

• Like 1

(thanks, Tiki. :D )

tonight, 4-13, for GP Mo Rocca's picks:

10:00 pm ET
Color
94 min
TV-PG
comedy

The accidental mix up of four identical plaid overnight bags leads to a series of increasingly wild and wacky situations.

DirPeter Bogdanovich CastBarbra Streisand , Ryan O'Neal , Madeline Kahn .

Madeline Kahn in her first feature film role (for which she was nominated for a Golden Globe).

Article: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/23033/What-s-Up-Doc-/articles.html

What%27s_Up_Doc_poster.jpg

There's a couple of other Streisand movies I would love to see on TCM.

The complete version of 'The Owl and the Pussycat' (1970) to start with. Yes, I know it's been shown before - but it was an edited-for-tv print that was shown.

And 'Up the Sandbox' from 1972.

These are my favorite Streisand movies - just as long as they're not edited for television.

tonight 4-14, under Bob's Picks:

8:00 pm & 11:30 pm ET
Color
47 min
TV-G
documentary

A look back at Robert Osborne's life and career as host of Turner Classic Movies.

Article: http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1081164|0/Robert-Osborne-s-20th-Anniversary-Tribute.html

robert_osborne.jpg

12:30 am ET
B/W
109 min
TV-PG
suspense
Mirage (1965)

A biochemist suffers memory lapses, finds bad guys after him, and has no idea why.

DirEdward Dmytryk CastGregory Peck , Diane Baker , Walter Matthau .

Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirage_%281965_film%29

MOV_9d7868b5_b.jpg

There's a couple of other Streisand movies I would love to see on TCM.

The complete version of 'The Owl and the Pussycat' (1970) to start with. Yes, I know it's been shown before - but it was an edited-for-tv print that was shown.

And 'Up the Sandbox' from 1972.

These are my favorite Streisand movies - just as long as they're not edited for television.

What was edited from the version of THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT that was shown on TCM?

How annoying if it was.

"Bombs away!"

I agree with you about UP THE SANDBOX. It's a great movie that wonderfully blends fantasy and reality.

What was edited from the version of THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT that was shown on TCM?

The reason that the guys in the car start chasing her and George Segal is removed. I'm not sure what else is missing - but that scene has definitely been taken out of the version that TCM showed. I know because I saw the movie in the theater and it was a funny and memorable scene - especially in 1970, the first year of freedom in cinema (movies like MASH, Owl and the Pussycat, Magic Garden of Stanley Sweetheart and others were finally able to include dialog never before permitted).

As a consequence of this edit, the chase makes no sense because a first-time viewer doesn't get to see what made those guys so angry.

The reason that the guys in the car start chasing her and George Segal is removed. I'm not sure what else is missing - but that scene has definitely been taken out of the version that TCM showed. I know because I saw the movie in the theater and it was a funny and memorable scene - especially in 1970, the first year of freedom in cinema (movies like MASH, Owl and the Pussycat, Magic Garden of Stanley Sweetheart and others were finally able to include dialog never before permitted).

As a consequence of this edit, the chase makes no sense because a first-time viewer doesn't get to see what made those guys so angry.

Thanks for this information.

Apparently this cut was also made on the DVD release hence these customer reviews from Amazon: 

It's amazing how one cut can ruin a film. Well, here's the proof! I can understand why Barbra demanded her topless scene destroyed, but editing the 'F' word in a major key scene is unforgivable. This is a true classic comedy and a beautifully transferred DVD with its heart cut out! There oughta' be laws against this kind of hollywood butchery!

This DVD contains the 'PG' version! while watching this version you'll notice where the cuts were made.

This DVD includes a two page booklet that states how the film was cut in the 70's including language and a scene revealing a topless "Funny Girl". It then states how the profanity was restored in 1999 for a re-release but without the nude Barbra because it was destroyed in the 70's. Well I hate to tell Columbia but this film isn't restored and is lacking a very funny moment in the original film.

One scene is when Streisand and Segal are walking down a city street talking and a car of guys starts following them yelling out insults, then Streisand walks over to them to tell them to

"F@ OFF!"(cut out dialog) followed by these guys chasing them. This scene was so badly edited that it ends up making no sense.

There was a television version of the film that contained the whole scene intact with muting out the four letter word.

darkblue, when you saw the movie in the theater during its original release, do you remember the shot of Streisand's bare breasts? 

My understanding was that, while the scene was filmed, it ultimately was never included in any released print of the movie.   

I don't recall seeing her nipples, if that's what your asking. I think I may have seen side boob but it was so long ago I can't be sure.

I don't recall seeing her nipples, if that's what your asking. I think I may have seen side boob but it was so long ago I can't be sure.

Here's what I found: 

In spite of this desire to work on something more contemporary and "hip," she was nonetheless extremely nervous about the brief nude scene the script required. The story called for her to remove her top and jump into bed with co-star George Segal, but when it came time to film it, she was very reluctant. According to James Spada's biography Streisand: Her Life, she told director Herbert Ross she couldn't do the scene because she was insecure about her figure and worried about what her mother would say. Spada quoted screenwriter Buck Henry as recalling that she and Ross went into a closet where she showed him her body and he reassured her that she had nothing to worry about. Nevertheless, it took Ross nearly an hour to convince her, and he had to reassure her that if she wasn't happy with the scene, it would be cut. She finally agreed, nervously baring her breasts and climbing into bed next to Segal. Star, director, and crew all had a good laugh when the relentless perfectionist insisted she wanted a retake. As for mother Diana Kind, she only commented later, "I'm shocked by all those things actresses have to do today, but I guess it's part of the job." The scene was ultimately cut before release, but photos of the nude Streisand were leaked to High Society magazine. The actress won an injunction against the publication, and the shots disappeared from public view.

tonight 4-14, under Bob's Picks:

8:00 pm & 11:30 pm ET
Color

47 min

TV-G

documentary

A look back at Robert Osborne's life and career as host of Turner Classic Movies.

Article: http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1081164|0/Robert-Osborne-s-20th-Anniversary-Tribute.html

robert_osborne.jpg

12:30 am ET
B/W

109 min

TV-PG

suspense
Mirage (1965)

A biochemist suffers memory lapses, finds bad guys after him, and has no idea why.

DirEdward Dmytryk CastGregory Peck , Diane Baker , Walter Matthau .

Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirage_%281965_film%29

MOV_9d7868b5_b.jpg

bump for tonight's airing....

I didn't think I'd seen her full breasts bared. From what I've read, the American version of the movie cut the 1-second shot - but left it in for Europe. So, maybe the injunction applied only to America.

Over at IMDb there's mention of another scene edited - one involving her shoplifting. I don't remember that scene so I can't verify that its been taken out, but one poster claims it's missing from the PG prints - in addition to the scene where she discourses with the guys in the car.

Incidentally, someone over there posted a link that led to a couple of photos of the topless Streisand from the movie and I did click on it and have a boo. The scene is no more provocative (and less in duration) than Julie Andrews' scene in S.O.B.

I bought "The Owl and the Pussycat" new on VHS a goodly number of years ago.  It was the 1997 'Columbia Pictures' release; the video box has a pink-ish color and there's a heading on the top of the small box that says "The Barbra Streisand Collection".  After reading through this thread about the cut line/scene with the "f"-word from the DVD release of "The Owl and the Pussycat" I fished out my tape and both the video box and videocassette label do not have any rating.  I thought the box and tape at least had some rating on it, but I didn't remember if it were [PG] -or [R].  Turns out it has neither.  The box and tape label both say Not Rated.  I know I watched that tape once, but it's been probably around 10 years and I can't remember if the cuss word scene is still there.  I guess it's 50/50, eh?    

I can't check it because my VCR is angry right now; the 'Eject' button either throws the tape out on to the floor or won't eject the tape at all plus my Tv has a nice green hue that made watching "MIRAGE" a green-and-white experience.  Always something . . . :angry:

But once I get all these equipment issues sorted out I am going to stuff that Columbia tape into my VCR and watch the movie again with an  ◙ eye ◙  toward the "f" word!   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALSO:  I enjoyed watching 'MIRAGE' last night.  Perhaps TCM can get hold of Universal's loose remake of it called "JIGSAW' (1968), which apparently was made for television but was rejected as being too adult so it was released briefly to theaters instead.  

Mr. Gorman, I have the exact same VHS tape you have and the "f*** off" is clear as a bell.

Unfortunately, I missed Mirage. Forgot to set my dvr.

Thanks for the response and clarification, mockingbird.  :)   Good to know the scene with the language is intact on the '97 tape release.  

Hopefully TCM will air 'MIRAGE' again some time.  Maybe Universal will open up their vaults to TCM at reasonable leasing rates.  There's a lot of Universal goodies just sitting around being un-seen.