Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No more TCM SD

slaytonf

TimeWarner now is only sending me TCM in high definition on channels 59 (the old standard definition channel) and 765.  It would not make any difference to me, because I do not notice that the HD channel has any better picture.  But when I record a DVD, for some reason, the picture, even in the old 4:3 ratio, shows up smaller.  In order to see it full size, I have to use my TV's zoom, thus losing resolution.  

I've wrangled with the decision of whether or not to get HD service.  I've an older rear projection big screen, but there IS and HDTV sticker on the front of it, and an input for the cord.  But now the question is do i really want, or need  to have it?

HD dazzles me when viewed on other people's sets that have it, but when I stop and think about it, I wonder if I'm actually dazzled by the percieved improvement in picture quality, or just the novelty of it.  Since I've managed to live 62 years without HD,  does it make much sense at this date to add the extra expense?

If I hem and haw long enough, the worry will pass sooner or later.

Sepiatone

I've wrangled with the decision of whether or not to get HD service.  I've an older rear projection big screen, but there IS and HDTV sticker on the front of it, and an input for the cord.  But now the question is do i really want, or need  to have it?

HD dazzles me when viewed on other people's sets that have it, but when I stop and think about it, I wonder if I'm actually dazzled by the percieved improvement in picture quality, or just the novelty of it.  Since I've managed to live 62 years without HD,  does it make much sense at this date to add the extra expense?

Sepiatone

I have HD only on my local broadcast stations, received with an outdoor antenna. The picture quality is very good, but I don't watch the local stations much, except for the news and PBS.

I have one small HDTV TV sitting near me on my desk, but I have noticed when TCM is showing an HD video copy of a film. The picture is very high quality, like a new theatrical print as seen in the 1930s and 40s.

So, I discovered that there is a mid-range in between SD and HD, and that is when an HD movie is shown on TCM. It looks much better on my HD TV, even though my satellite receiver is only an SD receiver.

I figure that the reason why is becuase the CCD (or whatever they call it) that records films dubbed to HD must be larger and more detailed than an old SD CCD pick-up tube or chip.

I can't imagine these new electronic dubs being any better than I see them now, even though I'm receiving them through an SD tuner.

So, I'm not going to order any expensive HD channels from Directv.

I notice the same higher quality on a couple of other channels that broadcast in HD, even though I have only an SD receiver.

Fred

Sepiatone

If you wait long enough, all problems take care of themselves.

All I know is, I never saw a difference in the SD and HD movies on TCM--at least when I got SD.  Now for other channels, like when Discovery was showing its Planet Earth series, yes, there is a universe of difference.  That series knocked the socks off my eyes.  But I suspect there might yet be a TCM in SD available to me.  I find channels I get are repeated a number of times in the channel guide, so there might still be a TCM in SD I get.  All I have to do now is scroll though the thousand-plus selections.

There's no difference in the quality of the picture on TCMHD and TCMSD if the film is pre- 1954 since TCM doesn't transmit in real HD. It's only up-converted which helps with films in CinemaScope or Letterbox fit televisions with a 16 aspect ratio screen. You could call it fuzzy HD I guess since the image is fuzzy and not crystal clear like in a real HD movie channel.