Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

“Bridge To The Sun”, interesting movie....

FredCDobbs

I wonder if this the only American film or the first American film to show people living in Japan during the war who are not supporters of the war, although they can't say anything against it?

This is such a good movie. Did you see her when she saw the American POWs?

Did you notice some of the bombing raid footage came from 30 SECONDS OVER TOKYO?

• Like 1

I just saw it for the first time...it was pretty good and now I am checking out the book/memoir the movie is based on to compare.  The thing about so many 1960s movies that bothers me is the lack of realism in the costumes/hairstyles...it is always the '60s bouffants & beehive hair and dresses and not the period the movie is suppose to be taking place in that distracts me.   

I find it very interesting that she, Gwen, an American lived out the war in Japan?  I would've imagined she'd also have been thrown in the prison camps like all the other "suspicious" Americans/British (women and children who were missionaries, foreign workers who didn't get out on ships to get out of the occupied territories were imprisoned, starved & treated horribly).

I just saw it for the first time...it was pretty good and now I am checking out the book/memoir the movie is based on to compare.  The thing about so many 1960s movies that bothers me is the lack of realism in the costumes/hairstyles...it is always the '60s bouffants & beehive hair and dresses and not the period the movie is suppose to be taking place in that distracts me.   

I find it very interesting that she, Gwen, an American lived out the war in Japan?  I would've imagined she'd also have been thrown in the prison camps like all the other "suspicious" Americans/British (women and children who were missionaries, foreign workers who didn't get out on ships to get out of the occupied territories were imprisoned, starved & treated horribly).

I'm also surprised Gwen was able to openly live out the war in Japan.    When my Japanese mother married my American father (who was stationed in Tokyo during the early 50s),   her family and friends disowned her.   

I'm also surprised Gwen was able to openly live out the war in Japan.    When my Japanese mother married my American father (who was stationed in Tokyo during the early 50s),   her family and friends disowned her.   

Did they ever eventually accept her and her family again?  Have you seen "Sayonara" 1957 film with Marlon Brando...I'm glad to see it will be shown on TCM in June as I always liked it & haven't seen it in several years & I'm sure I will have to read the book by Michener.

There was a film I saw as a kid titled JAPANESE WAR BRIDE, and I liked it a lot. The Japanese bride was brought back to the US by her American husband, and his family and friends didn't like her and gave her a lot of trouble.

Of course this marriage took place after about 6 or 7 years of very harsh anti-Japanese propaganda in the media because of the war.

Most Americans did not realize that most Japanese people didn't want to have anything to do with the war and were usually very kind and nice people.

Fred

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044764/

[media]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyJDpH76_gM[/media]

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings